Normal Topic How long for background (Read 3539 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PAQ
User

How long for background
Jan 6th, 2005 at 3:11am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I finished all the tests and passed everything for the L.A.P.D. including the poly (thanks for the help everyone, I couldn't have done it without your help.) and have since moved on to the background portion. Does anyone know or can give me an idea of how long it actually takes to complete the background investigation. Thanks. ???

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Re: How long for background
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2005 at 3:43pm
Get ready to wait. 

Hiring process for almost all LE agencies is a long, lengthy, bureaucratic one.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nina
New User

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 9:45pm
How is it that someone had the polygraph and background check last? My background and interview came in first, and then the polygraph.

I wasn't embarrassed when I was asked about when I had my period, but I didn't read anyone else having this question for the polygraph test!!!!Do women applicants get this question?
My examiner seemed professional and I could tell he felt awkward about asking this.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box alice
User

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2005 at 8:09am
my BG and interview and phsyical is before my poly too...so I don't understand because I thought the BG stuff was what was asked on the poly..otherwise ...what would they ask except questions like ...Have you ever..or did you ever..in such general stuff...

Alice

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yatittle
Senior User

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2005 at 7:54pm
I think it's a per department thing. Depending on the priority of hiring vs. having time to wait for the process to finish, some departments may ellect to have the background investigation started first, then conduct the polygraph before the BI is even complete. Others may wait and have them done in succession.

I think it depends on the need to fill positions vs. the idea of having background investigation material to use as ammunition in the polygraph session.

If you think about it though, the order is really irrelevant. If something came up during the BI that would be a problem, or required further discussion, they will just haul you back into their office to discuss it. So being able to discuss now (during the poly), or later during an interview is 6 of one, half a dozen of another.

They could even request another polygraph if they felt it necessary. Or of course just drop your application for whatever reason. I wouldn't be too concerned with the ordering of the BI and polygraph. If it's out there to be found, it will be found. And if they have a polygraph to drill you on it or not, will not matter.

Randy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box hwsternfan
User

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2005 at 11:16pm
They do the polygraph towards the end because they use the poly to eliminate anyone they really don't approve of but have no basis to drop. Angry

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PAQ
User

Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 6:06pm
I do not live in L.A. so I came down one weekend and took the written test for LAPD. On the information part where you fill out your name, address,ect,  it ask if I lived out of town and wanted to do the expadited testing if I pasted the written portion of the test. So that's what I did. So they sent me a letter with the dates that I needed to be back in L.A. for. It was three days of testing. It started off with the oral interview and then a background interview, physical, phsc, agility test, poly. You keep going on with the tests as long as you keep passing them. so that's what I did. After this they got all the information from me that they needed to do my BI. I went back home and about 2 mounths latter My bi called and set up an appointment with me I came back down and we talk again. I went back home and 2 months later I got my academy date. The rest is history.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box alice
User

Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 9:09pm
congratulations..
you persevered..had everything done on an expedited basis..hung in there and deserve to be in the job you want.

My positions in the crime lab and scene techs are critical.  I got a 2 dayer..for all my stuff...physical..panel intervies , BG and then the poly

few weeks i will be done hopefully

IP Logged

How long for background

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X