Normal Topic South African Polygraph Critic Wins Libel Suit (Read 4026 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

South African Polygraph Critic Wins Libel Suit
Jan 5th, 2005 at 9:53am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Malcolm Nothling of South Africa, a former polygraph operator who has come out against polygraphy, has won a 50,000 Rand (US$5,600) award in a libel suit against polygraphers who defamed him.

News of the judgment was reported in the KwaZulu Natal Sunday Tribune on 19 December 2004 in an article titled, "Polygraph critic wins libel claim":

Quote:
Polygraph critic wins libel claim

Myrtle Ryan

In a landmark judgment handed down in the High Court, Durban and Coast Local Division, this week, polygraph testing was placed under the spotlight.

Malcolm Nothling, a former Durban polygrapher, was awarded R50 000 in damages together with costs.

Nothling brought charges against the South African Professional Polygraph Association, LieTech cc, and Ben Lombaard - the owner of LieTech - for defaming his name and reputation.

Justice P C Combrinck ruled in Nothling's favour.

"For over two years I was unable to work, due to the fact that my reputation was savaged, because I took a stand and told the truth about the dangers inherent in polygraphing," said Nothling.

"As a polygrapher myself, it hurt my trade, but I believed it was in the public's interests (for me) to speak out."

The background to the case is that, in October 2002, the National Academy of Science, the premier scientific organisation in the United States, denounced the use of polygraphs. It slated it as "more art than science", and stated that "virtually no serious research" had ever been done on its efficacy.

The Sunday Tribune followed this up, by examining the effect this finding could have on the South African polygraph industry. The reporter turned to Nothling, a leading polygrapher, as a source.

Though he knew it could ruin his career, he said certain techniques, available over the internet, made it possible to beat the test. He went on record saying that on the day he himself had beaten the polygraph test, he realised it was no longer a reliable enough tool to establish innocence or
guilt.

As a consequence of his public stand, Nothling found himself the subject of a witchhunt within the industry. It became virtually impossible for him to practise his craft because of allegations made against him. The South African Professional Polygraph Association went so far as to
publish defamatory statements on its website, until action was instituted. LieTech was still publishing such statements at the time of the High Court action.

This week, however, Nothling was vindicated when Combrinck found in his favour.

"It was a virulent attack on the plaintiff's character motivated by malice," he said, mentioning "gratuitous insults and . . . in the main devoid of any truth."

The judge said that Lombaard had remained defiant, even in the witness box. A relieved Nothling, who is now running courses teaching people anger management and how to be less vengeful, reiterated the dangers of polygraphing.

"I am not happy that it has seen the end of its days," he said.

"It was a useful tool in combating crime. But it's outdated," Nothling said.

Guideline

He said the lie detector could only be used as an investigative tool. It was just a guideline, and should not be used as conclusive evidence. "When it's used as an evidential tool, it's extremely dangerous," he said. Nothling mentioned that under the Polygraph Protection Act, one had to have prima facie evidence, as well as a reasonable suspicion, before asking someone to undertake such a test.

Should the person refuse to undergo it, they were then often regarded as guilty.

"In South Africa, the law says you are innocent until proven guilty," said Nothling. "But with the polygraph test, you are regarded as guilty and have to prove your innocence."

Another inherent danger was the fact that it was a Eurocentric tool. "People with a different psychological framework, would possibly fail the test," he said.

A guilty person who had learned how to beat the test could walk free, he said, and suspicion then fell on others who might fail - even though they were not guilty.

As of today (5 January 2005), the defamatory statements on the website of the South African Professional Polygraph Association (a Divisional Member of the American Polygraph Association) mentioned in the above article actually remain on-line:

http://www.polygraph.org.za/st_13_10_2002.htm

For further background, see South African Polygrapher Turns Against Polygraphy.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2005 at 11:07am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: South African Polygraph Critic Wins Libel Suit
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2005 at 2:11pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
It appears that the South African Professional Polygraph Association has now removed polygrapher Ben Lombaard's libelous statement from its website. Before its removal, Malcolm Nothling posted his own commentary on Mr. Lombaard here:

http://www.lies.0catch.com/
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2005 at 11:58am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

South African Polygraph Critic Wins Libel Suit

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X