Normal Topic What extent of drug use usually DQ's applicant (Read 10340 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dallas24
New User

What extent of drug use usually DQ's applicant
Dec 8th, 2004 at 9:31am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
i know most police departments seem to have a tolerance for marijuana use.   

however, during my immature and cofused days of college when i fell in with the wrong crowd i experimented with cocaine, shrooms, and ecstacy.   

is that just way to much for a police department to overlook, or does it just depend on other circumstances the department takes into consideration about your character and the fact you can honestly answer on a poly that you do not want to ever do these things again.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Re: What extent of drug use usually DQ's applicant
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 2:56am
Dallas 24,

Experimenting with cocaine, shrooms, and ecstasy will not reflect favorably on your behalf. I would not expect any sympathetic response[s] from the LE community…

Good luck. 

Triple x

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nunyun
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 4:05am
does this mean Ann Margaret will not be coming for the holidays?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 6:14pm
nunyun,

Yes... one could reasonably assume this to be indicative that Ann Margaret will not be coming for the holidays.

Having said that, how can any reasonable and prudent individual actually believe that personal experimentation with cocaine, shrooms, and ecstasy, will be deemed as acceptable behavior within any law enforcement community? 

triple x

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2004 at 7:53am
Oh I am with you I know for a fact that any use with "hard" drugs is an automatic dq from our process and I believe it is a good policy.

Don't worry Tres X you have never posted anything that I disagree with........I was just being a smart ass.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 12:29am
Well to be honest I think most people are just ignorant as to the need of having had and established a history of ethical and moral behavior in order to work in LE.

Just the other day I was Recruiting for our department and this IDIOT actually asked me if we hire FELONS ???
I thought he was kidding, but he went on to elaborate that he had just gotten out of prison 2 years ago and has stayed out of trouble since then.   

Needless to say my jaw hit the floor that people would actually believe they had a chance after serving time in prison for a FELONY!

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 6:54am
we just had one who did great on the test (written), outstanding education (working on a masters in forensics) and kicked ass in the Agility (almost broke the academy record.  However when it came time for the background questionaire......lets see has done x, shrooms snorted a few lines and blew a couple bong hits....all within the last year......But swears that is in the past and this person is ready to be a cop now......No Black and White for you try BOP!  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 1:34pm
It is understandable that law enforcement agencies might be reluctant to hire applicants who have used so-called "hard" drugs. However, implementing a no-hire policy for persons who have used such drugs does not result in the agency not hiring such persons. Instead, it has the unintended consequence of systematically screening out those who are honest enough to admit their past drug use while allowing those who are clever enough to lie about it to pass through. The end result is a less honest workforce that still includes persons who have used "hard" drugs.

Since there is no effective way of testing for past drug use (beyond perhaps a few months), I think a smarter policy would be to simply  test applicants for drugs prior to hire and to conduct random, no-notice drug testing after hire.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2004 at 2:02pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 4:37am
George, 

While you do have a point I have to disagree with you on this one.  The fact of the matter is that as a law enforcement officer a person is held to a higher standard of conduct than a civilian.  Therefore, the use of so-called "harder" drugs and the candidates immediate disqualification for their use is a necessity.  

The CIA would not knowingly hire someone who has betrayed the public trust or sold US gov't secrets to work for them.  Just as the IRS would not hire a tax cheat to work as an investigator, nor would the FBI hire an ex-trrorist to be a special agent.   (of course contract employees and informants are excluded as we all know you sometimes need a crook to catch one)  A child care facility would in no way hire a prior sexual offender.  Therefore, a Police Agency should be no different and not hire someone who has shown a pattern of irresponsible drug use to enforce the state and federal drug laws.   

While it is true that this automatic disqualifier causes people to lie or omit their drug use, this is where an agency relies on the background investigation and possible confessions brought about by the polygraph.  Your line of reasoning in this matter could just as easily be paralleled back to the sexual offender and the child care center.  Everyone knows that a sexual crime will DQ you from working with children.  Should the applications and psychological then not ask this question because it would force people to lie to get the job?  In LE an applicant may indeed get by and slip through the cracks by lying about his drug use, but now he/she will find themselves trying to hide this the rest of their lives.  Here is a scenario for you.  Cop pulls someone over, finds drugs in the car and arrests them.  This very same person remembers having sold drugs to the officer or been with the officer when he was doing drugs.  The arrestee now seeks to alert the detective, prosecutor or jailer that the cop who busted him is crooked and reveals details about what he knows.  IA investigates and the cop now has to continue to hide his past indiscretion and continue to lie.  First time it happens we can let it go as a cheap attempt by the criminal to get back at the officer, but more than once and this officer is officially under the IA microscope fro the rest of his career.  (All of which have been usually quite short).

Yes, an applicant may get by, but in the end it eventually comes back to bite them in the ass.  However it save a lot of time and money to be able to DQ someone from their willful admissions to past drug use.  If they in turn begin to lie about it, then that is where it helps departments to work together and reveal the admissions the applicant made to the other agencies for which he/she is applying.

Most departments do actually conduct testing prior to hire, however, very few continue to conduct tests on officers post hire.  There are several reasons for this.  1) cost of continued testing  2) Unions have managed to make it so that we can only test if we have reasonable suspicion to test an officer  3)  Many officers are in fact exposed to these chemicals as a part of their job and this can lead to a good officer being mistakenly identified as a drug user.

The system isn't perfect, but we cannot allow people who have knowingly broken the law and used SEVERAL kinds of drugs become LE officers.  People are allowed their mistakes here and there, but use of more than just one drug seems to be like irresponsible behavior and not someone I want out there in uniform.

« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2004 at 4:11pm by dimas »  

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Medic
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2004 at 10:11am

True story, Dallas24....

Don't quit your day job. 
Ever think of selling bongs over the internet?

IP Logged

What extent of drug use usually DQ's applicant

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X