Normal Topic Washington DC MATA BI question (Read 1398 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box OfficerWannabe
New User

Washington DC MATA BI question
Nov 24th, 2004 at 2:00am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi,
I'm about to begin the BI portion of my application with Washington DC Metro Transit Police.  They're going to be down 80 officers and want to get those spots filled in time for the Feb academy classes.  Don't BI's usually take quite a few months to complete?  With such a short amount of time until then, does anyone with experience with DC MATA police know what to expect as far as the BI goes - who will they talk to- what info will they look into.  It just seems like a thorough BI can't be done in only a month and a half, but perhaps I'm wrong in that assumption.  So far, I'm feeling pretty good about my prospects, with the exception that DC MATA uses a CVSA  (oh joy!).   

Thanks

"There is truth and there is untruth"
George Orwell, novel 1984

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Re: Washington DC MATA BI question
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 5:49am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Quote:
Don't BI's usually take quite a few months to complete?

It depends on the depth of the BI, agency involved, priority of investigation (i.e. is OT authorized for the investigator?), investigator workload, etc. They can definitely be done in less, especially for local PD jobs.

Quote:
It just seems like a thorough BI can't be done in only a month and a half, but perhaps I'm wrong in that assumption.

It would seem this way, but it is quite common. I know people that have been hired in that time period—you just need to hit a hiring cycle at the exact right time.

Remember, a police officer can be fired quite easily for the 1st 1-2 years of employment (depending on the agency). So, a lot of departments with hiring crunches take people on before the BI is complete and put them in the academy. As the BI results come in, they fire those deemed unacceptable. 

NYPD is famous for doing this. I have heard plenty of stories from friends who work there about academy classmates being hauled out of class and fired (and in some cases even arrested). 

Not a great practice, I know. Still, it appears to be routine in many large agencies where they need warm bodies on the streets.

IP Logged

Washington DC MATA BI question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X