Normal Topic What is the importance of a polygraph result? (Read 4702 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yatittle
Senior User

What is the importance of a polygraph result?
Nov 16th, 2004 at 5:43am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
What matters more?

That you passed?
Or
That you failed?

Which one holds more weight to those who look at results of a polygraph to make a decision?

Randy
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2004 at 6:30am by yatittle »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Re: What is the importance of a polygraph result?
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 6:58am
(I'm sure the citations for what I reference are elsewhere on this site).

The government is on record as saying that polygraphs are useless (the case was a serviceman who had a polygraph that was favorable to his side, exonerating him, but the government didn't want to let him enter it as evidence).

That is an example where a "passed" polygraph wasn't that impressive to the government.  So in that case, I'd have to say that a passed polygraph doesn't mean much.

It is also statistically proven that "failed" polygraphs happen too frequently through abuse and "false positive" situations.

A failed polygraph is more indicative of somebody who was either gullible, naive or a sucker who was likely conned in to admitting to something that the examiner didn't like.  Skill and cunning on the part of the examiner can cause lines on the chart that would cause a failure or inconcliusive result when interrogating most normal, uninformed subjects.

So, I'd have to say that you are damned if you do, and less damned if you don't. 

A passed polygraph isn't impressive to those already in the system, as they know the polygraph can be beaten and is bogus etc.  A failed polygarph can and will be used against you (not in court; where at least you'd have an appeal).

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 12:48am
Do you think if the fbi or some other government agencies which rely on polygraphs tell you that you passed, that you really did pass? If they tell you that you failed, did you really fail, or does the actual decision take place later.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 7:24am
Anybody have an opinion on the validity of the polygraphers conclusion? I have been told I failed after the session ended, and want to know if there is any hope. I know sometimes they tell you that you pass when you really failed, and that you failed when you really passed. I guess it's just those mind games. Hmph Undecided

-Randy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 9:48pm
Since the polygraph procedure has little verifiable validity to begin with, I can place little validity in the examiners 'conclusions'.  That being said, the examiner may indeed believe he has correctly intrepreted the charts to indicate deception.  But I agree they could just be playing mind games. 

Hopefully whatever process you are in will  be timely with communicating your status to you either way.

IP Logged

What is the importance of a polygraph result?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X