Normal Topic Upcoming polygraph (Read 3372 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ruckover
User

Upcoming polygraph
Nov 6th, 2004 at 11:40am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi - 

I have a polygraph coming up.  I haven't done anything I haven't admitted to in the paperwork and really nothing newsworthy.  I figure that as long as I'm totally honest, I've got nothing to worry about. 

However, after reading some of the horror stories of polygraphs gone horribly wrong, I'm wondering if I should hedge my bets and learn the countermeasures.  However, I'm equally concerned that should I be detected using countermeasures, that I'll still end up with a bad result.   

My question is this: should I proceed, using no CM's and hope for the best, or use CM's, assuming the worst? Any recommendations?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Upcoming polygraph
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2004 at 12:30pm
Your assumption that as long as you are totally honest, you've got nothing to worry about would be reasonable if polygraphy were truly as accurate and its practitioners claim. But the truth of the matter is that polygraph "testing" has no scientific basis and results in many truthful persons being falsely accused of deception and wrongly disqualified from employment.

Whether or not to use countermeasures is a personal choice that neither I nor anyone else can make for you. But I suggest that before making this choice, you educate yourself about polygraphy. A good starting point would be to read The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

Regarding the risk of being detected using countermeasures, you should be aware that not using them is no guarantee that you won't be falsely accused of such. Countermeasure detection (like lie detection itself) is largely an exercise in guesswork and badgering the subject for an admission. For additional discussion, see the message thread, Counter-countermeasure Techniques.

I can tell you that if I had my own pre-employment polygraph examinations to do over again (see my statement, "Too Hot of a Potato: A Citizen Soldier's Encounter with the Polygraph") I would most certainly use the kinds of proven countermeasures detailed in TLBTLD rather than naively counting on my honesty alone to pass.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ruckover
User

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2004 at 8:47am
Thanks George.  Suffice it to say that I'm torn, but I appreciate your counsel.  I'll be polygraphed by two different agencies in the next few weeks - perhaps I'll take opposing approaches with each and see what happens.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box AngryinNY
New User

Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2004 at 2:15am
Yeah, unfortunately "just telling the truth" doesn't really cut it. I was nervous about countermeasures too -- the only thing I was really comfortable trying were mental techniques -- i.e. imagining something like falling off a cliff to hopefully induce some kind of response for the control questions...

IP Logged

Upcoming polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X