Normal Topic Another type of mental countermeasure? (Read 4546 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yatittle
Senior User

Another type of mental countermeasure?
Oct 18th, 2004 at 12:17am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I was thinking about the use of mental countermeasures, and what exactly they are attempting to cause with respect to physical reactions (pulse etc..). 

I then thought, what would happen if on every control question, you thought about that one question you will obviously have trouble answering.

I guess the question is, will thinking about the question which will give you the most (possible) problems, be enough of a reaction on control questions, to counteract that question when it is actually asked?

I guess it is possible that the reaction during the control could be exactly what is shown as a reaction during the relevant question, resulting in a 'inconclusive?'. 

In all honesty, I have thought about some exciting moments, fight or flight type moments, and I don't feel my body reacting to them. Maybe I am desensitized because of what I've seen on the internet, beheadings etc. I just figure why dance around the mental countermeasure and go get the reaction which will cause you the most problems in the relevant portion of the test.

Any thoughts?
Randy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Another type of mental countermeasure?
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2004 at 7:57am
I think a better alternative would be to perform mental arithmetic, for example choosing an arbitrary number and counting backwards by 7s as fast as one can, or attempting to rapidly solve a math problem.

I suggest this because thinking of the relevant question that most disturbs one as a countermeasure might tend to increase one's physiological responses to it when that relevant question is actually asked.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box lee32279
New User

Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2004 at 1:20am
but is the counting backward from 7 done to intentionally trip myself up mentally so i throw the chart off during a control question?  personally, say starting at 350, i can't go further back then 243 without getting frusterating in my mind...numebrs have never been my strong point.

anyway, like the poster, I believe i'm desensitized as well to, for example, being brutally raped, etc.  these thoughts don't tigger a reaction.  the pucker does, but i'm fearful of the butt pads...

my poly would be for a local pd and possibly a small town pd and/or county sheriff's dept. 

any feedback?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2004 at 8:55am
The whole idea of such mental exercises as counting backwards rapidly by 7s or rapidly solving a math problem is to create the kind of frustration that will produce a scorable reaction on the polygraph charts in association with the asking of "control" questions.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 8:30pm
so if i just stay frusterated after 253, then i'm okay...

are they're really butt pads during local pd poly's...i'm more comfortable w/ the pucker, but i can feel the flaps of my little toosh move when i do it....not good...right?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 8:48pm
Not all polygraphers are using sensor pads (or "butt pads," as you descriptively put it), but use of these devices has been growing over the past several years. You'll find illustrations of some of the devices currently in use in the message thread, Counter-countermeasure Techniques.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 9:07pm
thank george, i'm checking it out now.

IP Logged

Another type of mental countermeasure?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X