Normal Topic Interrogation and Explanations (Read 3529 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pstr45mm
New User

Interrogation and Explanations
Oct 7th, 2004 at 3:47pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm wondering about how interrogations are handled after the polygraph. Specifically, I have found myself concerned about a question regarding the sale of illegal drugs. In my youth, I got some extra marijuana for my friend, paid up front and let him pay me back. I believe that this is not really "sale" but I have a memory of an exchange of money that plagues me. Because of all the thought I have given this, I am concerned now that I will fail a polygraph. Two questions: Do you think that I am rationalizing or is this not a "sale of drugs"? And if I take a poly, answer "no" to the question and it shows something (I will not plan to use CMs) will my explanation likely be acceptable and not DQ me? Do they monitor you during interrogation/explanations and determine if you are telling all that concerns you? Or will they come away thinking that I was a drug dealer? Thanks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NSAreject
Senior User

Re: Interrogation and Explanations
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 7:29pm
Security folks at the agency are real lunatics; it's
amazing how paranoid they make one feel, even about
stuff one did as a kid.  If you say anything, then you 
will open the door to a possible verbal attack.  My last
round of polys, I just assumed that I wouldn't pass,
and didn't say anything significant, but I "passed",
anyway.  I used to, "spill my guts",  but always with
some significant stuff held back, and still passed.  It is
fun, once one has read this site, especially, the DODPI
interrogation handbook, and watch them play their
little games (like various role playing).  I think the
whole experience is really revolting, especially, since
these are "trusted" security folks.  Right ?   I went
through years at the agency, believing in the polygraph,
and it is incredible, how many people up there still
believe in it; they live their lives around the agency, but
live in fear.  My advice - get a life...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 10:10pm
pstr45mm,

Your one-time sale of marijuana to a friend, even if made at-cost, could indeed be characterized as a "sale of an illegal drug." Whether or not this would be considered grounds for disqualification by any particular agency, I don't know. I suspect it might be for some.

You need to understand that post-test interrogations are conducted after a subject's polygraph charts have already been scored "deception indicated" (that is, the subject has "failed" the "test"). (The CIA and NSA are exceptions to this general rule: applicants for employment with these agencies are routinely accused of "having problems" during their first polygraph session, regardless of what the polygraph charts say, and are brought back for one or more follow-up sessions.) The objective of the post-test interrogation is to get admissions, especially ones that might disqualify a candidate for employment.

If you are accused of "having problems" with a question about sale of illegal drugs, and then, during the post-test interrogation, divulge for the first time that you once sold drugs to a friend in the manner you described, you may very well be disqualified on the spot for lack of candor, even if your (presumably profitless) sale of marijuana to a friend might not have otherwise been automatic grounds for disqualification.

During any post-test interrogation, you won't be monitored via the polygraph instrument, but the polygrapher/interrogator will be observing both your verbal and non-verbal behavior. Examples of what they look for are provided in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pstr45mm
New User

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 2:46pm
So would one recommend coming clean up front? Or if questioned further telling the polygrpaher the truth? Or if questioned telling giving an alternative explanation for nervousness on that question?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 8:53pm
I'm not prepared to advise you regarding what you should or should not disclose. That's a difficult choice that you'll have to make for yourself.

But I do suggest that you go into the polygraph with the clear understanding that whether or not you choose to be completely candid with your polygrapher, your polygrapher is going to be less than candid with you. Polygraph "testing" is a pseudoscientific fraud that fundamentally depends on the polygrapher lying to and otherwise deceiving the person being "tested" about the nature of the procedure, as you will find explained in Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Interrogation and Explanations

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X