Normal Topic A Different Question (Read 3589 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nytonh
New User

A Different Question
Sep 29th, 2004 at 9:46am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Already working for a PD for a couple of years trying to go to a another department.  One question

1. I will have to take a poly for the first time, does anyone think that me being a police officer already will have any effect the way the poly is given to me?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nunyun
Very Senior User

Re: A Different Question
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2004 at 7:45pm
Depends on the agency but usually yes they may run several more charts than usual looking into use of force, bribes and your integrity as a cop. I would suggest reading this site and decide who you want to control the test you or the examiner.  I have read this board and seen several post of people claiming to be cops who were victims of a false + when switching agencies, you decide which catagory you want to fall into.......

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2004 at 9:06am
Quote:
I have read this board and seen several post of people claiming to be cops who were victims of a false + when switching agencies

Nytonh, 

We hear a great deal (both publicly and privately) from officers in the above situation that nunyn mentioned. Those with years of service and impeccable personnel records report being denied transfer employment on the basis of unreliable polygraph “tests” alone. The majority of our contacts have been from cops in New York (NYPD and other jobs) and Washington, DC attempting to transfer to departments in Florida (multiple departments but most notably Ft. Lauderdale).  

My recommendations are the same as nunyun's--read The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (available free from this site) and learn as much as possible about the polygraph process.

I'd consider printing a copy out and having it bound at a print shop like Kinko's for easier reading.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anxietyguy
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2004 at 7:17pm
In response to your question nytonh I took a polygraph for a department while I am currently employed as an LEO. There were seperate questions regarding my employment as an LEO (ie bribes,use of force,cover-ups,false reports etc.). If anything your polygraph will be more in depth then someone who has not been an LEO. Kind of ironic but that's how mine was. 

Anxiety

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2004 at 2:52am
Same thing happened with me.  Apparently by being a LEO you are given more questions to respond to on top of those required for any other candidate with no LE experience.

Either way, it still comes down to the same old "reliable" polygraph and the examiner to determine if you have or have not been a good cop. 

My advice:  find  an agency that does not polygraph and try out for that one.  Reason being that should you fail the poly for this one, you are going to have a heck of a hard time finding employment with another department thereafter.  Ignorance is rampant and even though I never failed a poly, (I received inconclusives)  for a while there every department I applied with assumed that Inconclusive=FAIL.   

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nunyun
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2004 at 8:07pm
easier said than done Dimas, In Cali the only pd that does not poly is State Universities (there may be a couple of others) and if you have a real desire to work for a city PD or be a Trooper, (Highway Patrol) whatever they call themselves, then you are going to roll the dice and take the test to get your "Dream Job".  If that is the case I would just learn as much as I could and prepare myself for the process ahead, be it poly's, PAT's or written's.  Anyway I see your point but even you took a couple of test because that is a job (at the time) that you really wanted.

IP Logged

A Different Question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X