Normal Topic FBI/ATF Drug Policy (Read 8165 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box airbornetom
New User

FBI/ATF Drug Policy
Sep 4th, 2004 at 10:19pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am a 19 year old college student and Army ROTC Cadet.  Over the past year I have probably smoked marijuana 15 times and sold it to friends 10 times. 

Looking back, I can't believe how I could have made such a dumb and shameful mistake.

I still have another 3 years left of college and then another 4 years in the Army.

I have a good friend who is pretty high in the ATF ready to recommend me when I am ready.

Sorry for my thoughts being so jumbled...are my chances as an agent in the ATF/FBI gone?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Re: FBI/ATF Drug Policy
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2004 at 3:57am
Dear Airbornetom,

I do not know about the ATF but I do know that your chances of qualifying for the FBI have been eliminated if you have ever sold drugs illegally (before anyone jumps on me, I know that a $10 bag of marijuana does not go up there with a $50,000 crack deal).   You will not qualify under the current standards.

I would not want to go on the record in an FBI application and fudge the numbers.  Your chances of ever getting a job in law enforcement will be next to none if the FBI finds that you sold any type of drug during a background investigation (and they will place it on a permanent FBI record which will flag everytime a local police department does an NCIC for even a mild background check).

I do not want to sound like doom and gloom but you will be hostage to anyone in the past who you sold drugs to for extortion if you get an FBI job.  The FBI reserves the right to terminate you anytime (no time limitations) in the future should they find that your application lacked candor and truthfulness (you lied).  That is alot of pressure to endure during high school, college, and military reunions (especially if someone is jealous of you getting a job with the FBI and they did not qualify because of drug usage).

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box airbornetom
New User

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2004 at 5:23am
Thanks for the quick reply.
It sounds like the FBI isn't going to work out, but does this disqualify me from all LE jobs?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box solaris
New User

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2004 at 6:24pm
AirborneTom,

I was in your boat, except a little different. I was a first year law student who had "sold" marijuana. Now, I didn't think I had sold it because I had sold it for the exact amount that I had bought it, therefore earning no profit. FBI guidelines state that selling drugs for profit is a disqualifiying event.

Needless to say, I was rejected. But not for an agent position. I was rejected for an unpaid internship. The polygrapher stated that I was being "dishonest". All attempts to overturn or appeal this decision were unsuccessful.

IP Logged

FBI/ATF Drug Policy

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X