Normal Topic I'm In!!!!! (Read 5590 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box repo42
New User

I'm In!!!!!
Aug 19th, 2004 at 10:25am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
After all the polygraphs, backgrounds, psych tests, TB tests, and everything else that was given to me I would like to say......I PASSED, I PASSED, I PASSED, I PASSED, I PASSED, I PASSED,  just waiting for my TB test results, which should be done on Friday.....wooohooooo...I wish everyone the best of luck.......  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 40smith
New User

Re: I'm In!!!!!
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 3:38pm
Congradulations!
It is a long and challenging process huh?  I am currently going through the end of my process.  It has been challenging.
Good luck to you!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 9:48pm
Oh yeah!!!!
It is an emotional rollercoaster.   Espcecially when you don't hear from your department for a period of time.  I would have to say the hiring process is more stresrful than the academy ever was.  I hope L.E. turns out to be as exciting as everyone describes it to be.  I hear nothing but good stories from those already employed by L.E. agencies.  Everyone who is currently going through the hiring process, stay positive.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel....

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 9:57pm
40Smith....
Here is another cool website that is L.E. related..A lot of good discussion boards so we don't feel alone.
http://www.911jobforums.com/vB/forumdisplay.php3?f=44

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 10:54pm
Becareful what you post about polys on that site.  They are very against posting "helpful" information.  You will get banned or your posts removed.
When does your academy start?
It should be a new experience.  Never had a para-military environment.  Must be alot of running and push ups.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 7:46am
Actually I only posted about poly's a handful of times, and my posts were strictly about being honest with the evaluator.  I don't believe in having to decieve the evaluator.  I feel be truthful, let the chips fall where they may.  I am also strongly opposed to the idea of supplying polygraph information to convicted sex offenders.  I feel totally disgusted that anyone would provide such information and the fact that these criminals would come to this site looking for an escape.  I was honest when I took my poly and passed, however I'm sure that there have been people out there who were just as honest and didn't past.  As far as academy, I completed it last month.  I  am being hired as a reserve peace officer with a strong chance of becoming full time next January.  thanks again for the advice... Smiley

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 3:40pm
Good for you!  Good luck in becoming a PO.
The way things are looking I will be in an academy in November.  How was your academy?  Rough?

Thanks

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 2:59pm
40Smith
I just started as a level 1 reserve a few days ago.  I completed the basic academy in July.  It was pretty awesome getting sworn in and badged.  As far as academy, it was tough at times.  I went to an academy that has one of the highest standards in Ca. for academics.  Post requires a grade average of 70%.  The academy I was at mandated an 80% grade average. The upside was that a lot of departments from different areas came to our academy to recruit.   
My advice for you is to stay on top of all assignments, even better get them done ahead if you have some type of assignment guide.  Get as must rest as you can, especially in the beginning of your academy.  Stay away from the TV.  If you have a few spare minutes either study or take a nap, towards the end of the academy when your only getting 4 or so hours of sleep, those naps you took early in your academy will pay off.

Some good ways to save time;
find a good cleaner that presses uniforms.  I ironed my uniforms 99% of the time, on occasion when I was too tired or strapped for time, the cleaners came in handy.

type out essays and edit them on a computer before you write them out.

have everything ready the night before.
find a good study group for tests, scenarios, etc..

use highlighters during lectures.

find a good pen to write with to avoid re-writes
I used a very fine tipped pen, I think it was a "precision" name brand.  they are like $4 for 2 pens....well worth every penny

do not be late or absent if possible.  unless it is an emergency get to school....I don't know how your acedemy is structured, but in mine during the last part of academy we had available hours to go to interviews during class time, with no penalty. 

try to get along with everyone, and stay away from gossip, and any negative crap that other cadets will get involved in.  As cadets got tired they started to lose focus and toward the end of academy there was a lot of hostility among some cadets.  stay away from that crap.  If you don't get along with someone, be polite, proffesional, in the end it will pay off.

ask questions.  In my class I was the one everyone would tease about asking too many questions.  However after every exam the instructors would come back and tell us we were getting some of the highest scores of all academys.  So don't worry about being teased for any silly questions.  Thats what the instructors are there for, and get paid for.

well I wish you the best, and if you have any more questions feel free to post and I will answer them the best that I can.  Hope this helps... 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PAQ
User

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 12:46am
I know that you are not talking about the Rio-Hondo academy, as being one of the best academys in california. The top academys are: L.A.P.D.#1, Orange county sheriffs#2, and the 3rd is up north by Sac.

IP Logged

I'm In!!!!!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X