Normal Topic Henrico County, Virginia Division of Police (Read 3588 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Squeaky_Clean
New User

Henrico County, Virginia Division of Police
Aug 18th, 2004 at 11:49pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I recently went through an application process with the police department in Henrico County, Virginia.  The process included a polygraph for pre-employment screening.   

I had the unfortunate experience of meeting both of their examiners, one male and one female.  I got that privelege because the first test was terminated, and I had to return for a second go round.   

Both examiners claimed I was using countermeasures and specifically asked what websites about polygraph I had viewed.  The "countermeasure" was that I was supposedly breathing too slowly.  One of them even asked if I was counting my breaths.

There were multiple reasons why their suspicion was absurd.  First, why would I manipulate the test by doing something they could recognize?  In particular, why would I continue to do it and continue to think it could trick them, once they had already told me they were "on to me"?  Second, when presented with the accusation from the examiners, I told them that I had no faith in the polygraph whatsoever and then asked them why I would try to manipulate a test that I didn't believe had the ability to measure anything in the first place.  This apparently didn't impress them.   

Both knew that I had taken polygraph exams before, but the second one still tried all the standard tricks...like leaving the room after the test to "read the charts" and then coming back to tell me that the test "showed a reaction" on 2 questions...as if I would then break down and make admissions.   

Aside from my personal disdain for the polygraph exam, these 2 examiners both struck me as particularly unintelligent and inarticulate.  I am certain that both had lower levels of education than I have, yet they were the "experts" who were supposed to judge my fitness for law enforcement employment!  Please don't think this is purely a sour-grapes statement...I actually rather liked the 2 previous polygraph examiners from other departments where I had tested...but these 2 from Henrico County were just amateur from the word "go".  Ironically, I had been offered law enforcement employment after my first polygraph last year, but I was not offered employment by Henrico.  My "poor performance" on the polygraph may have contributed to my failure to get the job.

I am certain that police departments lose good candidates and also miss bad candidates when they screen potential cops with the polygraph.   

In truth, the accusation that I was using some trick or technique to beat the polygraph is an insult to my intelligence.  The only countermeasure you need to "beat" the polygraph is to KNOW IN ADVANCE that the whole process is a BLUFF TECHNIQUE, designed to get you to believe you will be caught if you lie...just so that you'll make their job easier by making admissions.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sluggo
User

Re: Henrico County, Virginia Division of Police
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 1:53am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Kudos to you, and your recognizing the poly for the piece of junk that it is.

Re: education level of poly operators, a GED is all that's required (i.e., you can be a high school dropout that has gone back to get a diploma after you realize what a screw up you are for being a dropout).

My first poly examiner gave me his card, which had, " , B.S." after his name; I guess he wanted to distinguish himself from the high school drop outs of his pseudoscience trade.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2004 at 2:09am by Sluggo »  

IP Logged

Henrico County, Virginia Division of Police

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X