Normal Topic Re: What would the CIA think of these past activit (Read 3607 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jimmybooya
New User

Re: What would the CIA think of these past activit
Jan 30th, 2005 at 7:51am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi I have bascially the same question for everyone out there.

Drug Use: Smoke pot 3 times 4 years ago, and thats it, drank a bit before I was 21 too I suppose

Legal issues: 3 traffic tickets, none for more than $50, but here is the kicker, I was charged with a felony, I dont want to go into too much detail but it was a he said she said, and the case was dropped due to lack of evidence, my record is currently being expunged.

Sexual misconduct: what sex?

I'm a senior chemistry major, next year I begin work on my Ph.D. in analytical chemistry.  I wont be applying for another 5 years or so, but I have been reading alot about the background checks and have become worried that being falsely accused of a felony may keep me out of government work.

Thanks for any input.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yankeedog
Senior User

Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2005 at 5:40pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Jimmybooya,

I don't think you have much to worry about.  The drug use, assuming it was marijuana, and when you said, isn't going to be a problem.  And if you don't plan on applying for 5 years, you'll be OK.  Just stay away from it between now and then.  The traffic tickets should not be an issue either, as long as it was speeding or red violation type issues.  Something like a DUI could be a different story.  Your concern appears to be the "he said, she said" issue that you are getting expunged.  The expungement is a good idea on your part.  I have no idea what the accusation was about.  There are different ways to handle that.  You could call the agency you are interested in and ask them how they handle the expungement on an application.  They may have a policy as to how to report that, or they may say that an expungement is not something you should report.  Or, they may require even an expungement be reported.  If you do report that situation, be sure to attach the expungement paperwork to your application.  Keep in mind, that an expungement is a legal process that will clear your record, but it does not erase that part of your life.  It is still something that occurred, but the legal process cleared it from your record.  In my agency, if a situation occurred and is expunged, it isn't going to be a disqualifying factor.  We may look at it and want to know some of the details, but if it was expunged, it is essentially a non-issue.  Without knowing more details about your situation, that is about all I can say.  The key for you, it appears, is that you be honest in your application.  Dishonesty in an application is always a disqualifier with any reputable agency.  If you falsify an application, it is not what you did in the past that is the issue.  The issue then becomes that you were not honest about it. Law enforcement agencies aren't looking for angels.  If they were, there wouldn't be anyone working in law enforcement.  It sounds from what you have said that you'll be an asset to any agency based upon your educational background.  Good luck!

IP Logged

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X