Normal Topic Psych question (Read 3754 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sm

Psych question
Aug 4th, 2004 at 8:29pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Has anyone had any experience with this.  I have been offered a contigent offer for a L.E. officer position.  I have to pass psych and a physical.  My only concern is that 3 years ago I had a bout of depression and I still take anti-depressents twice daily.  As far as my physical and emotional health is concerned, I would say I'm doing great.  I have worked 13+ years and only missed time due to the depression 3 years ago.  I placed 4th out of 60 cadets in the academy.  I never missed a day and was never late out of the 6 months and have a good work history and personal history.  Does anyone have any experience if this is an automaticed disqualification from the pysch test.  Before I started the academy I spoke to the commander of the department that is now offering me a job.  I told him of my situation and he basically said as long as its under control is shouldn't be that big of a deal.  Many others have told me the same, but I have yet to speak to anyone who had similar circumstances.  I have a very positive attitude and get along well with others....can anyone with some knowledge give me advice....

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Re: Psych question
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 12:23pm
Well it seems like you are in a tough spot.   

To be honest there is always going to be a negative stigma attached to anyone who suffered a serious bout with depression and is on anti-depressant medication.  That is just the way things are and I doubt they are going to change any time soon.

That I know of there are actually laws protecting you from them asking about your mental problems, however they vary from state to state and are often governed by a time period.  Such as in the last 5 years have you ever been institutionalized or sought out professional help.  So you may want to check with the state you are actually living in.  I also believe that the ADA laws protect you from being asked about this, but I am not sure, so you may want to verify this.

I have worked with a lot of officers who are currently on medication for depression or anxiety.  They work just fine and no one would know they were on medication.  The kicker is that with the exception of myself and perhaps their spouse and doctor, no one does know they are on medication.   

I also know they did not volunteer this information when they applied.  If you do not need to provide this information, then don't volunteer it.   

Good luck.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 8:47pm
Dimas,
That's what I thought too.  I wasn't sure if there are officer out there who take  meds like I do.  The big thing is being institutionilized.  I was never, I took time of my work though.  The thing about being institutionalized is that you will not be allowed to possess a firearm.  Don't quote me, but I think the DOJ would not pass if you answer yes to that question.  I just took my psych and was very honest with the doctor about my medical condition.  My personal psychiatrist said to be honest, and with all the liability this is something I don't want to BS with.   The psych evaluator and I discussed my condition and it seemed to go well, he didn't grill me, and hopefully being honest with him will be taken into consideration. He did ask me how my weight was and if my sleep was overall adequate.  He also asked how I did in academy and how often I see my psych.   One positive note was that he gave me a series of test, one was with some red and white blocks(9 f them).  It was called a space relation test.  Some of the blocks were full white or red in color and other were half white and red.  He then gave me a picture to refer to and I was timed on how fast I could arrange the blocks to create to picture.  Well I found it to be difficult since the picture was a bit different from the actual blocks.  He told me I was a bit slow on spacial relations and that it might affect my ability to conduct thourough investigations when I get to my department.  He recommended that I play more video games.  I was stunned, If the picture was enlarged to the same size as the blocks the color patterns would not match, I noticed the difference.  Anyways after that I took the 950 question written test.  He asked me for a phone number in case he needed to reach me and said my department will contact me with the results. The test had a lot of true or false questions relating to depression among other personality disorders.  Well here I am, a  bit worried and waiting for my results.  As you said Dimas I hope society is ready to allow people who have suffered with depression and who are completely recovered to work in the police force.  I have no doubts in my mind that I will make an excellent officer, and hopefully the psych evaluator will be fair if he feels that I am recovered.  Well thank you for the reply, and if anyone has anything to add please feel free.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 9:04pm
Dimas..
One question that does come to mind is.  I know people in the department of corrections that take or have taken anti-depressants.  Apparently that does not disqualify a person from working for the department of corrections.  As you stated that you know people who work for a police department and have similar circumstances, but keep it confidential.  My question is, law enforcement recommends people to seek help if they feel they need it, but why must people in law enforcement feel it should be kept secret? Depression is a very treatable disease, and does not limit one to any type of activities as long as the person is willing to overcome.   Shouldn't it be a good thing when a person gets help? I don't run around and tell people my condition, but if someone asks I am very comfortable answering any questions they may have.  In my opinion I would rather have a backup officer who is getting help for his condition and functioning well, rather than a backup officer he secretly is suffering from depression and is afraid to get any help.  I hope this makes sense and this is no criticism of anyone out there who has depression.  I hope anyone out there who suffers from depression get the help they need, hopefully I will pass my psych and open the door for those in the law enforcement who may be hesitant to seek medical help.....if anyone has anything to add, please feel free.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2004 at 10:35am
Well it is easy for you to state that you are open or would be open to an officer getting help or admitting to depression; however, it is because you yourself have had similar problems and know they are treatable.   

We live in a society full of idiots and ignorance.  Unfortunately, those in administrative positions in LE departments and agencies are not exempt from this.  The fact of the matter is that people will always have their preconceived notions about people who have any degree of mental health problems.  I know that the officers who are currently under medication are perfectly capable of doing their jobs, that is as long as they are on their medication.  But the other officers and administrators would probably not look so kindly towards this.  People tend to see anyone with mental health issues as weak or ultimately unable to deal with life.

We are humans and by nature we isolate and push away those that are different from us.  I worked for some years in a mental health facility.  To be honest I was completely ignorant of the whole issue until I worked there and got a thorough understanding of it.  However, had I not worked there, then I am sure that I would also be included among the ignorant majority who are in LE.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Psych question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X