Normal Topic FBI Hiring Process (Read 22809 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box GrgLAndr
New User

FBI Hiring Process
Jul 29th, 2004 at 6:42pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello all, 

I am planning on submitting an application to the FBI within a year (after I get married)  would some one be willing to inform me of the process that is followed, both on my part and that of the FBI.

Thanks in advance
Greg 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FBI_SA_appl
New User

Re: FBI Hiring Process
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2005 at 6:28pm
Submit the application as soon as possible.  It will take at least a year to get the process rolling.  Go to the FBI website, in the SA application booklet each step is explained.  www.fbi.gov -- click on the employment link

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1NARCMAN
New User

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 10:03pm
Hello all,
I have been going through the FBI background investigation for the SSG position for some time now. My offer was rescinded in May and I was told that my results did not fit the FBI parameters. I received that letter exactly 15 days after taking the test. I was allowed to take the test again. It has been a month since I took the second test and I have not heard anything. This is the last phase of my background process which is pending the results of the test.
My question is, do you believe that not hearing anything is a good sign that I passed the test, or do you think it's not? Is waiting this long for the results normal? I feel that the bureau would have let me know immediately if I had failed, but I don't know. Is their anyone that you recommend that I call?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 10:18pm
1NARCMAN,

The FBI's failure to contact you is in all likelihood a matter of bureaucratic indifference. One cannot infer from it whether you passed or failed. A better indication would be wheter or not your polygrapher subjected you to a post-test interrogation. It is standard procedure to do so when the examinee "fails."

Be aware that almost everyone who is granted a "re-test" fails. The FBI polygraph unit cannot afford to be seen reversing more than a handful of initial polygraph results, for to do so would cast doubt on their reliability. The main purpose for granting "re-tests" seems to be to create the appearance (but not the reality) of fairness in the hiring process.
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2005 at 6:19am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 2:13am
It may be important to note that an examinee may not be subjected to a full-blown interrogation during the second FBI polygraph test. The experience may be more similar to what would seem like an examiner's bluff. I suppose the examiner doesn't  have to try very hard to gain an admission since he knows that the agency is going to fail the applicant, anyway.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Johnn
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2005 at 7:55am
Quote:
1NARCMAN,

Be aware that almost everyone who is granted a "re-test" fails. The FBI polygraph unit cannot afford to be seen reversing more than a handful of initial polygraph results, for to do so would cast doubt on their reliability. The main purpose for granting "re-tests" seems to be to create the appearance (but not the reality) of fairness in the hiring process.

Hi George -
I agree with you but i was wondering - what if lets say, I decide to appeal and my appeal is granted and I'm retested.  If I "fail" that retest and request my  polygraph charts - won't there be a risk that I can take those to a professional polygrapher and debate with the help of a lawyer -the entire outcome with the DOJ?  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2005 at 10:52am
Johnn wrote on Dec 4th, 2005 at 7:55am:

Hi George -
I agree with you but i was wondering - what if lets say, I decide to appeal and my appeal is granted and I'm retested.  If I "fail" that retest and request my  polygraph charts - won't there be a risk that I can take those to a professional polygrapher and debate with the help of a lawyer -the entire outcome with the DOJ? 

Yes, there is that risk, though I think any such debate would have to be held in a federal courtroom. The associated costs deter most applicants from pursuing legal action. But not all. As you know, there is a federal polygraph lawsuit pending, though the defendants' interpretation of particular polygraph charts is not the basis for the suit.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box socaldude81
New User

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 11:51am
Hello,

I took the phase I exam for the FBI.  One week later i was notified that I passed.  It's been about a month and i haven't heard anything from them about my language test.  I also was told that I do NOT need to send in the FD-140 personal history application since the FBI doesn't request that anymore.  Is that true???  The person on the phone didn't seem very knowledgable.  If they were wrong, is it too late?

Thanks

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 5:09pm
socaldude81 wrote on Jan 25th, 2006 at 11:51am:
Hello,

I took the phase I exam for the FBI.  One week later i was notified that I passed.  It's been about a month and i haven't heard anything from them about my language test.  I also was told that I do NOT need to send in the FD-140 personal history application since the FBI doesn't request that anymore.  Is that true???  The person on the phone didn't seem very knowledgable.  If they were wrong, is it too late?

Thanks

socaldude81,
I think that you should wait and not contact anyone.   

Two months after my phase I, they contacted me over the telephone to arrange for phase II.  Keep in mind that not everyone will be contacted after phase I - even if they pass.  (or maybe they will be since 50% of all applicants are failing the polygraph Wink )

The person on the telephone is correct - the FBI now uses the sf-86 form. (or something like that)

IP Logged

New User

Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 8:43pm
Thank you for the reply!

So just to make it clear, I shouldn't fill out a personal history form or application after passing the phase 1 exam?  Keep in mind I was not instructed to at all.  The only thing they told me/the letter said was to wait. 

So it took 2 months for them to schedule you for the language test?

So then when do they make you fill out that new application they use that you mentioned?

Thanks

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2006 at 6:05am
socaldude81 wrote on Jan 25th, 2006 at 8:43pm:
Thank you for the reply!

So just to make it clear, I shouldn't fill out a personal history form or application after passing the phase 1 exam?  Keep in mind I was not instructed to at all.  The only thing they told me/the letter said was to wait. 

So it took 2 months for them to schedule you for the language test?

So then when do they make you fill out that new application they use that you mentioned?

Thanks

I don't think you understood me.  I'm sorry, I'll remember a few details.  I never took a language test.  I just received a letter out of the blue - asking me to fill out the fd-140 (the form that they were using during the time - around this time last year).  

Then when I sent it in the mail, I received a call a week later.  They asked me when I wanted to take phase II, on Tuesday or Thursday (of the same week) but of the following month.  I picked a Tuesday and then they told me that they would send me the tickets a week before the actual phase II.  But before that, an agent called me into his office where I interviewed with him - he was very professional.  Basically, he gave me an hour's worth of what to say, do, wear, how to present myself, and what to talk about.  Very nice. (That's one facet that sure pays for the way the second polygrapher treated me).   
Anyway, I had a very good time throughout the entire testing process... I even met a few other applicants along the way who I began a friendship with...little did I know what would happen to me 6 months down the road...  Undecided

But to answer your question directly, they asked me to fill out the sf application after I failed my first polygraph, but before they invited me to the dungeon to take the second

IP Logged

New User

Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 9:36pm
Hey thank you for the reply, 
Ok one more question...in the physical ability test/PFT...do they give you breaks in between each test OR do you go straight from pushups to running a sprint to doing situps then to do the 1.5 mile run?  If they give you a break about how long?  Finally, how strict are they on time and passing scores??  What happens if you can't do the 1.5 mile run in time to score 1 pt.?  What happens if you barely missed it?  Are you doomed?

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #12 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 11:10pm
socaldude81 wrote on Jan 27th, 2006 at 9:36pm:
Hey thank you for the reply, 
Ok one more question...in the physical ability test/PFT...do they give you breaks in between each test OR do you go straight from pushups to running a sprint to doing situps then to do the 1.5 mile run?  If they give you a break about how long?

I believe it depends on your field office.  They give you an average of 5-9 minutes in between each event. I hear some offices allow 12 minutes in between, but it's only because the offices are lax and they are not producing enough hires to meet their quota. 
Quote:

Finally, how strict are they on time and passing scores??  What happens if you can't do the 1.5 mile run in time to score 1 pt.?  What happens if you barely missed it?  Are you doomed?

If you barely missed the run, you are not doomed even though you'll receive the infamous "offer rescinded" letter. They give you one last chance - but you have to request a retake within 60 days.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2006 at 9:28pm
Hey there again,
OK here's another question thats boggeling me:

FBI agents are always on call 24/7 and in return get paid 25% overtime pay automatically.  Since they are on call at all times, does that prevent them from going away for a weekend vacation or a nice dinner and drinks with their families when they get off work for the day?  OR do they have to use their vacation time to do these things.  I guess what im asking is are they constantly paged to come into work for required overtime or is there some kind of schedule set for them.

I'm sorry if this question isn't the right category.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 11:00pm
socaldude81 wrote on Feb 1st, 2006 at 9:28pm:
Hey there again,
OK here's another question thats boggeling me:

FBI agents are always on call 24/7 and in return get paid 25% overtime pay automatically.  Since they are on call at all times, does that prevent them from going away for a weekend vacation or a nice dinner and drinks with their families when they get off work for the day?  OR do they have to use their vacation time to do these things.  I guess what im asking is are they constantly paged to come into work for required overtime or is there some kind of schedule set for them.

I'm sorry if this question isn't the right category.

The way that they explained it to me was that you have to be on call 24/7.  If you cannot handle these rigors, then the job is not for you. (that's what they told me directly).  I'm not sure about vacation time, but I remember they asked me how I would feel if I were on vacation and something was going on around where I was vacationing at. Something along the lines of if I'll stop what I'm doing to go to a payphone (or cell phone) and alert the main office of the event. Something like that, I don't remember.   
You should ask your AC every question you have.  They are usually very good at answering questions and will promptly return your call if you leave a message.   
But then again, if you haven't taken phase II, you probably don't have that "priviledge" yet.

IP Logged

FBI Hiring Process

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X