Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Poly test soon: advice please! (Read 14733 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ronnie

Poly test soon: advice please!
Jul 29th, 2004 at 7:34am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I must admit, I love pot.  I've smoked regularly for the past 2-3 years and I've loved every second of it.  Never did I expect to get a sweet interview for a DoD agency that requires a drug test and a polygraph.  I quit smoking about 3 weeks ago in hopes I'd pass the piss test, but my friends joke around that I might as well continue to smoke, because when I answer pot-related questions on the poly, the machine will "blow up."

I've never done any other drug, been arrested, lied, stolen, or done anything else that would lead to a failed exam.  And to be honest - I have no problem attempting to use contermeasures on the poly exam because I think it's BS that someone who drinks regularly (not an alcoholic) won't hurt his chances of getting a job, yet somone who uses pot a few times is screwed... but don't get me started on legal issues relating to MJ...

I've read the handbook - great read.  Any other words of advice?  Am I wrong in thinking that even if I fail the drug questions on the poly test, the passed drug test will back me up?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Poly test soon: advice please!
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2004 at 7:46am
The DoD uses a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination that does not include questions about drug use (although at least one DoD component, the NSA, uses a full-scope polygraph examination that does include such questions).

Note that while you might succeed in passing the urinalysis test and polygraph, your marijuana usage might still come to light in the course of a background investigation.

Your recent, regular use of an illegal drug would likely preclude you from holding a security clearance under Adjudicative Guideline H. See, "Adjudicative Guidelines for Determining Eligibility for Access to Classified Information":

http://www.fas.org/sgp/spb/class.htm

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box steve

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2004 at 2:06pm
I also have a polygraph test in the near future for a fire department. I have a friend that passed the polygraph test for this department who told the examiner he had sold marijauna in highschool. I am worried about two subjects, I smoked marijuana in high school and its been over 3 years since, and i have stolen some things throughout my life but none really recently. These are two things that i dont ever plan on doing again in my life. Are these things that could fail me from the process? What are acceptable amounts for these two subjects? I was also told by the friend to just be honest and those things wont fail me, is that good advice?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ronald

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2004 at 10:31pm
George - 

The company is actually L0ckheed Martin.  Based on your knowledge, does this change the type of poly exam from the one you describe in your post?

How thorough are these background investigations?  Couldn't my friends simply lie for me?  Also, I wonder what they determine as "recent."  A few months?  Years?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box cop

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2004 at 11:35pm
Great idea.  Get your pothead friends to lie for you.  That is if they can remember what you told them to lie about.  George, you really need to help this punk get a job with the DOD our country needs jerks like this.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2004 at 12:23am
Cop 

Imagine that tomorrow all consumption of alcohol is outlawed.  If I am correct, prohibition of alcohol was attempted in the past and failed misreably.  I'm not a "jerk" simply because I enjoy enhaling the fumes of a plant.  I could go on forever about this, but it's no wonder why alcohol is still allowed to be purchased: the US government makes a tremendous profit off of it.  The US has some of the strictest marijuana-related laws in the entire world.  Why? Because of ignorance, fear, and no immediate way to regulate the sales of it, like they do alcohol.   

I feel that I'm being forced to lie as a result of the system.  I have no problem openly admitting my habit; I feel as I've done absolutely nothing wrong.  That won't get me the job though, will it?  That's the true crime right there.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box cop

Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2004 at 1:09am
Quote:
Cop 

I feel that I'm being forced to lie as a result of the system.  I have no problem openly admitting my habit; I feel as I've done absolutely nothing wrong.  That won't get me the job though, will it?  That's the true crime right there.

It doesn't matter what you "feel".  The fact of the matter is that what you do is illegal and you intend to lie about it, and ask your friends to lie for you,  so you can get a job with the DOD.  That says more about you than anything else.  Fire up another doobie man, after all it's all about how you feel - so feel good man.   

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2004 at 3:27am
Yes, your last post is completely accurate.  Yet you seem to ignore why the law is implemented in the first place, and only look at the fact that it is illegal.  It's not the subject matter, MJ, that is at hand.  If there is law that is incredibly idiotic and I disagree with, I will not feel any remorse in opposing it.   

If something as arbitrary as littering was illegal and somehow asked on the poly exam (and if you were denied a job because you've littered) .. then yes, I would lie about how many times I've littered because that's absolutely absurd.  I feel the same way about pot.

My point is that our differences don't necessitate comments like "you're a jerk."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2004 at 3:59am
Ronald,

While I would love to avoid a didactic on the rights and wrongs of drug use, I believe I can state it best like this.  If alcohol were indeed outlawed the day of tomorrow, the solution for me is simple;  I WOULD STOP CONSUMING ALCOHOL  because it would be  ILLEGAL.  This is what people refer to as INTEGRITY.  

It is one thing for someone to fail/inconclusive a Poly and be innocent and then find this site and use the countermeasures to pass the test, but another for you to use them to hide your use of marijuana.  The difference being  someday, someone may just decide to black mail you based on their having proof of your drug use and you may just be dumb enough to give into it.  As you said, "it is a sweet job/interview"  and it probably pays way more than you have ever made. 

But I digress, and will get more to the point.  While pot may indeed be one of the least harmful recreational drugs, it is still illegal.  Recreational users like yourself live in this false little reality that you aren't hurting anyone but yourself (and some of you don't even say that much), but having worked in LE and specifically with gangs over the years I can tell you one thing that people like you help do.  You encourage gangs to sell, distribute and murder to increase their sales and profit, not to mention the extortion and use of children and teens to distribute their drugs.  

You may rationalize your drug use to make yourself feel better, but we aren't buying it.  

Well if the poly doesn't catch you, hopefully the UA will and if that doesn't, then lets just hope the BI is thorough enough and one of your friends, employers or associates lets your little secret out.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jul 30th, 2004 at 6:59am
Finally someone with intelligence...

However, dimas, naturally I still disagree.   

First of all, it's still a matter of supply and demand, the same lessons we all learned in basic economics our first year in college.  If the government were to control and regulate marijuana like they do alcohol (and should), you'd instantly see prices drop.  There wouldn't be any gang violence because you could get the stuff over the counter for a quarter of the current price.  Is there gang violence over the sale of cigarettes?  Alcohol? No, because they're readily available on every street corner in the US.  Beer and cigs are just as bad for your health, consumed by more people, and in my opinion, actually much worse for you (cigs are just awful).  Pot actually does have other uses, i.e. medical uses, although I will admit their medical use is limited to rare cases.  It's a load of crap when people rationalize the legality of alcohol simply because it's not a "mind-altering drug" or that you can still have a few beers and you'd be fine.  You'd be hard-pressed nowadays to find a single person who drinks that hasn't abused alcohol (i.e. getting drunk).  It's a loophole that allows the government to make billions, not to mention.  Did anyone actually go to college here?   

Ok, fine, aside from all that, it's still illegal right?  That's the entire point?  Well I'm tired of people saying "it's irrelevant, the fact remains it's still illegal."  YOU may stop drinking alcohol if it is illegal tomorrow, but the same gang-related violence and extortion/use of children to distribute marijuana would now happen for alcohol, literally overnight.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but our current president is pushing to amend the constitution so it is illegal for gay/lesbian persons to wed.  Go tell a homosexual that they have no integrity simply because they're doing something "illegal" in the eyes of our government. 

In Saudi Arabia, it's illegal for women to work.  In most middle-eastern nations, most americans would agree, their islam-based legal system violates American human rights laws.  Does this make beating your wife acceptable for a muslim man simply because it isn't outlawed?  I know these topics may seem irrelevant, but my point remains: a governing body cannot fully incorporate every citizen's ethical or moral standards.  Every nation has their own perception of what is right and wrong; some values overlap, some don't.   The nature of something being illegal is not the sole focal point of integrity.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box brotha
New User

Reply #10 - Aug 2nd, 2004 at 7:57pm
Ronnie, I agree with some points you have made but dimas is an idiot.  Before I begin, let me inform you that I do happen to smoke and I do love it as much as you.  However, this doesn't mean i believe in legalizing it.  You say that allowing the government to control the distribution of marijuana would reduce prices and gang-related violence.  And you use alcohol as your main comparison.  However, there is a difference between the two.  The reason that alcohol is so well managed in the united states is because it is very abundant and legal in every country.  Because of this many different types of alcohol are imported and this creates an increase in customer satisfaction.  Because of this abundance, there is no need to find alcohol on street corners, and therefore I agree with that.  However, the case with marijuana is a bit different.  The difference is that weed is limited in the united states and couldn't be imported from other countries because in almost every other country weed is outlawed.  I know its a naturally growing plant but eventually the demand would exceed the supply without the help from other countries.  Yes, the price would be significantly reduced but gangs would find ways to get weed from other countries and sell it at even lower prices.  So in reality gang-related violence would be still be in full effect, maybe reduced a little at the most.  This little difference in gang-related violence would not be worth the corruption that legal marijuana would bring about.  As many experienced people know, while one is under the influence of marijuana, there is a lack of motivation.  Do we want to weaken our work force by legalizing marijuana?  Do we want a bunch of demotivated lazy asses? I am not saying that you cannot perform your job 100 percent because you might smoke a little bud in your free time.  However, you dont represent all cases, and the worst case scenarios must be taken into consideration ( someone gets a goverment job who smokes all the time and is lazy but luckily has some intelligence ).  And I have no trouble in saying that a lot of these types of cases would evolve if marijuana was legalized because people would take advantage of this possibility.  It is a secure feeling to know that government employees are throughly examined.  If weed was legal, this website would be of no importance to you because you wouldn't have to worry about this question on a polly.  Do you want the leaders of our country to be possible stoners? who dont get work done? Imagine the work ethic that would be imposed on teenagers, or  young people, the future leaders of our generation.  It is proven that marijuana is a demotivator....and since you smoke Im sure as hell you know what I am talking about.  In order for our country to succeed, we need a strong work force like we currently have.  Plenty of detrimental substances are already in existance and the legalization of another wouldnt add anything positive to our country.  IF weed was legalized, then another plant or mind-altering substance would be in question.  So should we keep on legalizing these substances jsut because alcohol is legal?  Why not legalize cocaine and all the other drugs that create gang violence? becuase like I said, that would corrupt our society and just because marijuana is the safest receational drug doesnt make it right.  There are still a lot of unproven facts regarding marijuana....such as long term effects.  However, where I do agree with you, and completely disagree with dimas, is integrity with relationship to our legal system.  Your example with Saudi Arabia is just.  There are plenty of things that are illegal in America but legal in other countries.  The people in other countries who practice these habits are by no means depraved simply because the same thing in america is illegal.  By saying that integrity is based on our legal system, you might as well say you let a group of congressman determine what is morally right and what is morally wrong.  Our government consists of these congressmen, and thats who you are basing your integrity off of.  People just like the three of us.  Now do you realize why you are stupid?  Shit, I love weed, and im all about beating the system.  This doesn't change my argument for making marijuana legal, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.  I agree with your friends who say the machine is gonna blow up because your looking into it way too much.  When the question comes up, u will naturally hesitate.  My advice is to just try to forget about it and go on with your life. Continue to smoke weed if that is what you do and when the question is asked try not to use your brain.  The test is obviously inaccurate if someone who has done nothing "bad" in their life can still fail the test and not get the job.  IT is apparent that the test has no scientific basis and that anyone can mess it up.  All i have to say is good luck when the time comes around and....
-smoke weed every dayyy

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Aug 3rd, 2004 at 8:36am
Brotha - 

You do make some interesting points...I must agree on most of everything.

There are enough American companies that brew beer or sell alcohol to provide a wide variety of products and a significant level of customer attraction (Anheuser Bush ..jesus...)

Yes, I do agree with you that gang-related violence wouldn't completely subside, however I do feel that it would drop off a significant amount.  I guess my gripe is that weed is illegal in most countries, yet cigarettes aren't.  That's some ass-backwards logic if you ask me.  You're also right: how are we supposed to pick and choose which substances we should legalize?  If we legalize pot, why not cocaine, right ?  Well we've already done that: alcohol is legal.  I also agree: I wouldn't want a society run by a bunch of lazy pot heads.   I sure as hell wouldn't want a society w/a bunch of dead-beat alcoholics either, yet there are PLENTY of those people too.  It's unfair to say that ALL people who smoke pot are lazy and unproductive, yet only SOME people who drink suck at life.  This leads to my main point... it angers me that I will be outright denied a job if I've smoked pot >10 times in my life, yet if I drink regularly and continue to drink for the rest of my life (thereby killing my liver), I'll pass.

Just like you said, our country's congressmen (most importantly our founding fathers) have already determined what is ethical and moral... hell, they were all heavy drinkers, no wonder it wasn't outlawed.  If only they smoked herb...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #12 - Aug 4th, 2004 at 12:42am
Brotha,

The beauty of this country is that people like you no matter how ignorant or dumb can freely call people like me an idiot.

However, before you go about insulting others let me say just one thing. PARAGRAPHS  Learn to use them, maybe if you hadn't been so busy smoking pot in school you would know what they are.

Ronald, while you did indeed make some good points, they are only good depending on what context a person is accepting them.

For example, you state the one regarding alcohol and how if it was made illegal the same gang violence would continue, but now people would be distributing alcohol illegally.  While I have no doubt that this is true, the problem there lies in people such as you and Brotha that fuel the crime by purchasing the illegal substance.   

I completely agree that both alcohol and tobacco are very harmful drugs.  I partake in neither, with the exception of a glass or wine here or there on a special occasion.  The kicker here is that wine has actually been found to be good for a human when used in moderation.  I believe they are called "polyphenols".   

All in all, it isn't until you have worked with children whose parents used drugs while they were pregnant and while the child was growing up that you will indeed begin to have a great dislike for drugs, alcohol included.

Crack babies grow up, Fetal alcohol children grow up, and they become adults who cannot function in society.   

But hey, the real problem with drugs is a lazy workforce, yeah thats it, real smart conclusion there brotha.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box brotha
New User

Reply #13 - Aug 4th, 2004 at 2:37pm
As I wish not to digress, I feel that I must.  You are correct in saying that I may call you whatever name that I please.  I believe this has already been mentioned earlier on in the forum.  If I couldn't use these words, I would have trouble describing my ideas on your intelligence.  So, let's be thankful.  Moreover, instead of discussing such trivial things such as paragraphs, why don't you try and refute some of my ideas?  Maybe you can't, and this is why you must bring up other "faults" in my writing.  Another great thing about this country is our freedom.  I may continue to write without paragraphs, and you really can't do anything now can you.  So, if you want to talk, let's talk.  I would rather not search for your spelling mistakes and use your method of rebuttal because this is a forum.  So, either find flaws in my ideas or leave.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sluggo
User

Reply #14 - Aug 4th, 2004 at 9:49pm
I've read this string, and am enjoying the debate.  

My position is probably a little long-winded, but I hope you’ll make the read.

Aside from the poly discussion (which I think we all agree that it's CRAP science), dimas IS RIGHT; if it's illegal, you don't do it, whether you agree w/the law or not.

Many yrs ago, I read the book, "Flight of the Intruder".  The novel is about a pilot, understanding the injustice of the war, breaks the political laws of the Vietnam War, and flies an unauthorized solo mission over Hanoi.  

The pilot becomes subject to court martial under the UCMJ.  He believes in his actions and is willing to stand by them, even at the risk of imprisonment or death.

The end of the book has a dialog from the Sr Officer (who has the greatest respect for the pilot and agrees the pilot's actions were righteous) who admonishes the pilot's actions, and will not tolerate the insubordination.  

The Sr Officer's dialog comes down to this: right or wrong, the law is the law.  WE ABIDE BY IT.  We have the right to challenge it by legal means.  If we disagree, we continue to abide, and we continue to challenge it for change.  

If we allowed our own individual beliefs to come before the law, our country would have met its demise at its beginnings through military coops; admirals or generals who believe that they can do a better job of running the country than our politicians can, would have taken action. However, due to the loyalty of our military to obey orders/laws (just or unjust) that come from our government, we remain united. 

We as civilians/citizens have the same obligation.
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2004 at 10:29pm by Sluggo »  

IP Logged

Poly test soon: advice please!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X