Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) FBI Background credit history check (Read 29989 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box TJ

FBI Background credit history check
Jul 23rd, 2004 at 5:24pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
So, I understand that the FBI does a credit check during their special agent selection process.  My question is:
I have couple credit card accounts that went bad and I never paid on (no leins or judgements were filed against me or anything); however, it has been more than 7 years ago so they have dropped off the radar for things like new home or other consumer purposes.   
Does the FBI look back on your entire life or does it fall off as well after 7 years?   
And if it does matter, is this an automatic 'disqualification' or are there exceptions?

thanks people!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box RULYING

Re: FBI Background credit history check
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 9:15pm
The State Department issues the clearances and for FBI, which issues "Top Secret" you must go back ten years. PAY YOUR BILLS and make it right only then will you be considered for a postion. Talk to you recruiter.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 1:20pm
It is not an automatic disqualifier, if since then you have become responsible and display a pattern of responsiblility.   Fact of the matter is that you will more than likely still have to bring this up and admit to is even if it was more than 10 years ago.  The standard background form that the Gov't uses does indeed only make inquiries for the last 10 years, however, there are other forms that particular federal agencies also issue you that ask questions regarding your entire life to include financial responsibility and drug use.

The main factor is how long ago it occured, if you have repeated the behavior and how much it was for.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box COP

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 1:27am
Dimas, is there no end to your vast knowledge?  You answer questions in every category! I wonder if you and George are twins.  You both seem to know it all.  Thanks for sharing with everyone, your wisdom is truly astounding.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NeutralObserver

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 4:01am
Quote:
Dimas, is there no end to your vast knowledge?  You answer questions in every category! I wonder if you and George are twins.  You both seem to know it all.  Thanks for sharing with everyone, your wisdom is truly astounding. 

I don't think Dimas is intelligent enough to grasp the sarcasim in your post.  COP is pulling your chain Dimas.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 5:55am
Quote:

I don't think Dimas is intelligent enough to grasp the sarcasim in your post.  COP is pulling your chain Dimas.

Neutral O, thanks for the help.  Too bad you aren't intelligent enough to know how to spell SARCASM.  

Here is a free tip for you.  Before you go out and attempt to make a comment regarding a person's intelligence, make it a point to improve yours first.  So that in the end you don't end up looking like an idiot.   

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NeutralObserver

Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 4:54pm
dimas wrote on Jul 26th, 2004 at 5:55am:

Neutral O, thanks for the help.  Too bad you aren't intelligent enough to know how to spell SARCASM.   

Here is a free tip for you.  Before you go out and attempt to make a comment regarding a person's intelligence, make it a point to improve yours first.  So that in the end you don't end up looking like an idiot.   

Hey, maybe you do know everthing.  You should start your own website.  IKNOWITALL.COM

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymous

Reply #7 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 12:30am
Hey guys.

Lemme share a little story about this. I applied for and recieved a CJO for a killer position with FBI, after which I filled out their long form and submitted it. I passed the security interview, the urinalysis, and yes, the POLYGRAPH (which I happen to think is easy if you don't have anything to hide. In fact I purposely avoided sites like these prior to my polygraph, so as not to pollute the process). 

Anyways, like, 10 years ago, I was a pssenger in a car crash in which we were struck right in my door by an intoxicated driver. I was young and my attorney wasn't worth shit, and we recovered less than half of what I needed to pay my medical bills. I have been paying them off little by little over the ten years, but I was aware there might be ones left unpaid when I applied, so I pulled my credit report prior to filling out the long form.

I had 2 items, a minor medical bill in collection, and a medical judgment for about 2 grand, from 7 years ago. I paid the little one off, and started negotiating repayment of the second (sometimes you can pay it off for like 1/2 or 1/3 on such an old debt.) I declared them both on my long form, and described the crash and my past financial burdens in detail in my security interview. It seemed like no problem during the interview,  given the fact that I was put in that situation through no fault of my own, and I have no record. 

So anyway, in my THIRD month of investigation, I get a call from some very angry-sounding woman at FBIHQ saying "you need to pay this judgment off or it will disqualify you". I say I will, because I have the money. (I would have rather negotiated it down a bit, but, in the interest of time, I paid it off at what some attorneys may think was a substantial fiscal disadvantage to me, given the circumstances, just to please the woman from HQ.)

I call her back the next day, and tell her its paid off. She says ok. And guess what? 

They DQed me in the final phase ANYWAY.

Now, it seems to me like the polygraph gets alot of undue attention, when really, the entire frigging process seems a bit arbitrary and in desperate need of review. Here I am, a super-qualified, genuis-level candidate who will be denied a chance to serve my country and protect her populace because of the indiscression of a crappity smacking drunk driver, ten years ago!

Um, I don't mean to be an asshole here or anything, but it seems to me that one of the main reasons for all the "intelligence failures" we read about on CNN is because the recruitment process is designed to screen out all but the blandest of individuals, so they end up with a 2-dimensional force, completely devoid of any real richness, intuitive depth, or creativity. 

No wonder they all wear the same suit.

I also got the distinct impression that they were uncomfortable with my faith. Like, if you REALLY believe in Christianity, then that is some form of "intellectual weakness". Well, that's pure bullshit. 

I'd also like to say that just because a candidate had financial problems in the past, or even if they have current financial problems of a small sort, does not mean IN ANY WAY that they would betray our Nation. I take offense at the implication that because I was unfortunate enough to be nearly killed by a drunk driver, and then suffered financial ruin through no fault of my own, which I CAME BACK FROM by working MY ASS OFF, that I am somehow a "security risk". crappity smack that. The real security risk is generation of a hollow force by enforcing arbitrary recruitment policies which exclude excellent candidates who could be saving lives, but now have to check "yes" to the question "Have you ever been denied a security clearance?" on every job application they will fill out for the rest of their lives.

It is a HISTORICAL FACT that MOST of our Founding Fathers and some ex-presidents suffered extreme financial distress and/or had to file bankruptcy at some point in theri early lives, and it is precisely because of their determination to rise above the negativity that got handed to them, that agencies like FBI have the freedom they do, to exercise penny-anty pride-game bullshit like this, in the first place. 

Get a clue. Not everybody who is in an excellent position to further you rmission is a crappity smacking saint. Just like none of you are. In the end, God sees the secret sins of everyone which they think no one knows about, and we are all in the same boat, notwithstanding your false sense of superiority, and no matter what you put on paper. 

Just my personal opinion.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 1:09am
Anonymous,

I'm sorry to read of your experience. I suggest you file a Privacy Act request for your FBI file. Why do you feel the Bureau was "uncomfortable" with your religious faith? How did that become a topic for discussion in the hiring process?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 2:02am
Yes, I have filed a FOIPA request for my file, and I've also petitioned, in the same letter,  for an appeal of the disqualification if such procedures exist. I recieved a "checkbox" form letter acknowledging my FOIPA request, but have heard no word about any possible review, appeal, or other procedures which would allow me to respond to their negative adjudication with evidence of my own. I am aware that there is a way that an existing law enforcement officer who is denied clearance may appeal, but I don't believe anyone has ever done so. I know the DOD has such a process. My guess is that FBI will probably just blow off my request, based on their previous actions.

As far as my personal faith goes, and how that came up for discussion, after recieving the CJO, I read on the CJO where it says "if there is any possibility you wont take this job, please let us know, to prevent undue hardhsip on us", or something-such. After reading that, I called my interviewer and told him that I was seriously contemplating full-time university study in the fall at a local Christian University, but that I might also take a night course, or something like that instead, I hadn't decided.

He told me I had three days to decide whether or not I would accept the CJO 100%, without reservation. I couldn't decide in three days, so I rejected the CJO at the end of the three days. Several things factored into this. Number one, I was working full-time in a high-stress job, and I didn't really had enough time to think about it. Number two, I had verbally negotiated a GS-11 position, firm, with the interviewer during the verbal interview, but the written CJO was for a GS-9 position, which would be much less than I was already making. He assured me that my decision would be over a GS-11 position, but I had nothing in writing, and it just seemed like they were saying one thing and then doing another, which was more of the duplicity I'd come to expect from politicians in general, you know? SO I rejected the CJO.

That weekend, after I had some time off to think, I came to the realization that I may have made a mistake, and that the job was an important one which needed to be done. So, I called the guy back and expressed to him that I wanted him to re-instate me into the process, with the understanding that I had several options open to me, and that I'd haveto decide after all of them panned out/didn't pan out, which one I would take. (I was also a candidate for a prestigious DOD scolarship as well, to study sciences. I would not hear about those results until July either.) 

Basically my argument was that I was definitely qualified, and I was the best man for the job, but that meant that a "conditional" offer could only be met with a "conditional" acceptance on my part, and that it was wrong for them to attach a buch of "ifs" to their offer ("i.e., if you pass the polygraph, if you pass the background, if you pass this, if you pass that...), and simultaneously expect me to close all other doors and extend premature assurnaced on my part. He agreed to reinstate me on that basis. 

After all this happened, I sucessfully passed the security interview (wherein I discussed my debts and car crash), the drug test, got fingerprinted, and passed the polygraph. My polygrapher asked me several questions about God, and who I though God was before the polygraph, and I told him just the basic stuff I learned in Chruch about God and Jesus Christ, you know? Then my background started, and persisted for like 2 1/2 months before I got the call from the lady at HQ. I recieved the rescinscion letter 3 months TO THE DAY after the date on my CJO letter.

The official reason stated on my rescinscion letter was that my "credit history indicates that I may not be suitable for FBI". But the woman from HQ, when she asked about the judgement I owed (and declared on day 1 of the process),  also said that "You previously rejected this assignment in favor of posible study at (a christian) university. Is that still a possibility". To which I answered probably not, because I missed the scholarship application deadline. It was obviously an issue, though.

Here's my problem. When FBI found out that I was a candidate for a prestigious DOD scholarship that might pre-empt their offer, they did NOT force me to choose within 3 days. When they found out that I had also applied for seminarial study at a Christian University, the FORCED me to choose between them and the University in THREE DAYS time, months before I would know even if I had recieved funding to go. To me, this indicates a predjudice against my personal faith.

Just because I am a serious Christian, doesnt mean that I am "cracked", or that I can't do what I have to do to get the job done. Anyone remember the sniper-guy from "Saving Private Ryan"? As it turns out, again, ALL of our forefathers wer devout Christians. And it is because of their faith that our Nation has evolved with the character it has, in my opinion. So, I personally find such pre-employment actions potentially discriminatory and personally deplorable, although there's no way in hell I'd wanna be anywhere I'm not wanted. If my disqualification were only their loss, I'd be ok with it. But its also the Amercan Peoples' loss, which makes me sad.

Again, just my personal opinion.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #10 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 7:03pm
Anonymous,

[You wrote]
“Here I am, a super-qualified, genuis-level candidate…”

As a genius level candidate, you misspelled “genius”.

[You wrote]
“I'd also like to say that just because a candidate had financial problems in the past, or even if they have current financial problems of a small sort, does not mean IN ANY WAY that they would betray our Nation.”

A potential candidate for employment with the FBI, with a history of unresolved adverse financial information is not necessarily viewed by the bureau as someone that would betray his or her nation; or, as a security risk. The FBI views unresolved adverse financial information as a “lack of responsibility”. 

Additionally, any adverse [unresolved] credit history either past or present, applies not only to candidates for employment with the FBI, but also to gainfully employed special agents and support personnel alike. 

Triple x

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #11 - Aug 9th, 2004 at 1:37am
ISBS,

Indeed it has been a while since my last post. Although I must admit, I’m quite surprised for once that you agree with me… 

Having said that, I too made the same observation with respect to the rambling dialog of riddled profanities demonstrated so eloquently by anonymous. 

I find it interesting that such a self-proclaimed, super-qualified, genius-level candidate as anonymous claims to be, feels the need to express him/her self in such a manner.

I’m of the opinion, that most “serious Christian’s” would be offended by such language.   

Triple x

The post to which this message replied has been removed to the Discarded Posts forum.
-- AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2004 at 7:49am by Administrator »  

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Aug 9th, 2004 at 3:10pm
According to Romans, the Christian can be conceived of in two ways, either as strong- or as weak-in-faith. The weak-in-faith are uncertain as to the adequacy of the Blood of Jesus Christ in justifying them before God, and the adequacy of obeying the Jesus' commandments (i.e., love God with all your heart, mind, and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself) in pleasing God.

So, in search of a supplement, they rummage about the scripture for more specific laws and admonitions, e.g., don't curse, don't talk in church, cover long hair with veils, etc., etc. to justify them before God and please God. 

The strong-in-faith dispense with that and realize that no acts of fealty or obedence will ever justify them before a Perfect God. Only the Blood of Jesus Christ, shed for our sins, can do that. Secure in the fact that He paid for humanty's collective sin debt, and finished that work once and for all at the Cross, they seek to implement the commandments Jesus taught in all areas of their lives as best they can, notably perhaps being their conduct around the weak-in-faith, and namely: in the presence of the weak-in-faith they should avoid all conduct which the latter consider to be sinful.

I assumed from the context of this web site that we were all adults here, and no one here would be offended by the honest, and yes, sometimes "profane" (by some standards) language law enforcement professionals routinely use around each other. During my interview, and my polygraph, many FBI representatives, including my polygrapher, often cursed around me, and even further, took the Lord's Name in vain (i.e., "G.D." this, "G.D." that), which I do NOT do, and DO find offensive. 

However, since you apparently find such vernacular offensive, I will refrain from that in the future. 

Secondly, inasmuch as the Bureau eliminates candidates who have displayed in the past what you describe as a "lack of responsibility", then that begs a few questions. Firstly, is it fair to characterize a medical debt arising from being a passenger victemized in a car crash through no fault of my own, a "lack of responsibility"? And secondly, are you implying that NO employees of the FBI, past or present, have EVER displayed such a "lack of responsibility"? If the answer is no, some have, then according to the criterion you have set for yourself, it is complete hypocrisy to anything but immediately fire anyone in FBI who has ever had past credit problems, or for that matter, has ever been irresponsible in any way. Furthermore, according to your standard, any FBI personnel observed engaging in any behaviour demonstrating a "lack of responsibility" should be immediately terminated, in the interest of national security. 

I mean, how far do we take this? Should "lack of responsibility" include speeding (if so, how many MPH over the limit?), drinking (how many drinks?), or generally doing ANYTHING that is "not good for you", hence irresponsible? I mean, whose criteria do we use? Would you characterize the conduct which generated the allegations of J. Edgar Hoover's homosexuality a "lack of responsibility" ? How about the fact that when he died, he left almost his entire estate to Clyde Tolson? Was that irresponsible? Did it reflect negatively on the Bureau? If so, according to whom? Opinions may vary according to geograpic location (i.e., San Francisco vs. Birmingham, for example). 

And finally, would you characterize any of the FBI conduct described under oath in past and present Congressional hearings as "lack of responsibility"? Look, we both know that these questions are rhetorical, and the fact is, I'm on your side, so let me make my point: 

NO ONE IN FBI is perfect. In fact, one step further, NO ONE IS PERFECT. The only perfect person who ever lived was Jesus Christ. To think otherwise is pride, and to expect perfection out of potential candidates only endures you eliminate anyone who has ever taken any risks, or ever REALLY lived. 

Don't be blind to the fact that most acts of uncommon valor, including complicated collars,  arise from actions in the field which are usually quite risky, not at all "by the book", and would be described by many (especially administrative personnel and/or Internal Affairs) as "irresponsible".

You know its true.

Thirdly, I think it positively myopic of you that out of all the issues I raised in my previous posts, the most intelligent response you could muster was a hypocritical moral attack, and citation of my poor typing habits. Smiley

It's a good thing Jesus loves us all unconditionally. Even you and me. 

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #13 - Aug 10th, 2004 at 2:30am
Anonymous,

You acknowledge successfully passing your pre-employment polygraph exam, and being disqualified during the BI. What specifically are you searching for on this board? 

You felt compelled to point-out what a “super qualified, genius level candidate” you consider yourself to be. I find it very entertaining, that after telling everyone what a genius you are, you misspelled genius. Do you not see the humor in this? Lighten-up!

Quit blaming the drunk driver for your adverse credit problems, and accept some basic responsibility for your financial obligations. If you incurred medical bills due to the drunk driver incident, you should have paid the debt when due. You could have retained legal council and pursued the drunk driver in court.

I think that’s what any responsible individual would have done. You don’t simply ignore the debt, and allow it to be absorbed by a collection agency… duh….

triple x

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SecureAspects
New User

Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2005 at 9:59pm
I am glad I found this site, to begin with polygraphs are a crock and should not be used anything that is subject to that much interpretation from an indivudual is subjective in nature. Second of all I was looking for the reason why a bankruptcy should effect the hiring of an over qualified individual for a federal position. I have been denied employment twice now for state department jobs needing a clearance due to a discharged bankruptcy within the last two years. I feel this is the biggest crock of garbage to use someones personal financial history (Due to a divorce) against a person. I have gotten credit cards and offers to finance houses and cars. My credit is being rebuilt but apparently it is not good enough to obtain a secret clearance. Whats funny is I held a Top secret previously and did not have any credit at all. I had a federal investigator tell me that poor credit and money handling could be a sign that one is more likely to bribes and payoff's. To be honest with you if I could have gotten my hands on the twit at the time I would have been facing assault charges. Instead I told him if I was subject to payoffs and bribes I would not have filed bankruptcy. Anyway I vented now, I am currently enrolled in a Executive Protection Course after which I am going to complete the High Risk Protection course and gain employment not subject to the State Department Qualifications in the private arena.   

http://www.secureaspects.com/forum/index.php

IP Logged

FBI Background credit history check

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X