Normal Topic A tactic that's NOT in the book that helps!!!? (Read 5652 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box A Brilliant Scientist!!!!

A tactic that's NOT in the book that helps!!!?
Jun 30th, 2004 at 3:19am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Greetings all.  The site and the book are both tremendous tools in aiding me to be more confident and informed going into my polygraph examination next week.  I'm in the second step to be hired as a detention officer in Arizona, and I have a question on a topic that is not as elaborated on in the book as I’d hoped.  Seeing as how there is much accumulated experience on this site, I was hoping to get some ideas and tactics from you ALL!   

My question is: What are some more detailed measures one can take mentally, beyond what is covered in the small section of the book devoted to calming oneself when answering the relevant questions?  I can "stimulate" myself easily enough (which I have practiced) to answer the "control" questions and to set a bar for reactions. The real challenge in my eyes, is to AVOID showing signs of deception when asked about the relevant questions.  I read a post here and there about staring at a hole in the wall.  Wouldn't that seem weird? Let me see, what else...  I'm imagining maybe, saying "no," (btw the section in the book on how to say "no" in different ways and what they mean helped a lot) and after saying "no", to not dwell on the subject, maybe I could go on thinking of random things like the how big the interrogators' eyebrows are or anything to keep my mind from dwelling on the question.  But I need some feedback from what other people have done.  PLEASE GIVE MY SOME IDEAS ALL, SO I CAN FIGURE OUT WHAT WOULD WORK BEST.

P.S. is there really something that detects anal movement like one of the haters of this site claimed? Or was he just bluffing?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box I-SMELL-BS.

Re: A tactic that's NOT in the book that helps!!!?
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 5:50am
Here we have a "Brilliant Scientist" who is trying to be a prison guard.....say what?  And he wants to know a "tactic that is not in the book".  George, help him out here....Oh I forgot, you have failed two polygraph tests but you have never tried any of these "tactics" yourself.  However that doesn't keep you from teaching others all about it does it?  So tell "Brilliant Scientist", (BS),  all about it..... sort of like one brilliant scientist to another.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 6:01am
Lol, I'm not really a scientist.  Its just a joke name.  Dont be so anti-George.  His information is helpful.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 6:13am
Quote:
Here we have a "Brilliant Scientist" who is trying to be a prison guard.....say what?  And he wants to know a "tactic that is not in the book".  George, help him out here....Oh I forgot, you have failed two polygraph tests but you have never tried any of these "tactics" yourself.  However that doesn't keep you from teaching others all about it does it?  So tell "Brilliant Scientist", (BS),  all about it..... sort of like one brilliant scientist to another.

Once again it appears that ignorance rules the day.  Let me get this straight, apparently anyone who is a "prison guard" is not capable of being intelligent.  Anyone foolish enough to make that ASSumption is definitely bent on making an A** out of himself.  

Hmmmmm...... perhaps this piece of news may enlighten mr. BS

Quote:
Chris Langan is one of the smartest people in America — his IQ is off the charts.
Yet he has not made it big in the business world. He's in his mid 40's, works as a part-time bouncer at a bar and lives in a one room home. He manages to support himself on only $6,000 a year. Langan says that being a genius does not necessarily make life easy. Although he has never cared much about money, he explains that his lack of a consistent and professional career path is a result of negative experiences in school. On 20/20 Downtown, Cynthia McFadden talked to Langan about his interests and about the ambitious book he's working on. The book, a mathematical and philosophical study, will present his theory on the universe. Chris Langan joined us in an online chat today. 

Yep,  one of the smartest men in the U.S. is a "Bouncer".   I'd like to see mr. BS survive one day working in a prison without becoming some inmates property or being exchanged for a pack of cigs.  In the future might I suggest you stay away from paintbrushing an entire profession based on your ignorance.   

It would be a great country if people managed to use their brains before posting.

Either way MR. Scientist, I believe if there were any other things to help you with they would already be in the book.  Yes, they do have movement detectors.  

I am assuming you are trying out for Maricopa county as it is the only county that pays decent in AZ.  If this is the case, my question to you is why the HELL would you want to work in Tent city?  14.99/hr is not enough to suffer constant exposure to the Arizona heat.

Either way good luck, if you have any other specific questions that do not have to do with deception or helping you beat the polygraph feel free to ask me.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 7:00am
I just found this out from a family friend who applied for the same program and didnt pass. He described to me exactly how the test will go and it does not resemble any that I read in TLALD. I think its something else and not as intense.  Afterall, this isnt the FBI so I think that book was more geared to higher government polys. 

Anyway, I allready filled out a 50 question questionaire about everything with questions ranging from "did you ever lie" to "have you murdered someone?" I will go in and have a pre interview that goes over everything I admitted in my backround interview the week before without the machine on.  Next I go outside while the tester compiles 3 sets of about 7-10 questions about what he maybe assumes I may possibly be suspicious of.  Then I go in, get hooked up and he starts off with (the day suposedly being Monday):

Is today Monday?
Is today Sunday?
Relevant question.... 7-10 per round.

But he repeats the same questions (especially if something is showing up) about 3 times.  Every round he starts with the Monday/Sunday type question.  I guess this is I/R???  I don't know what to do.   

My other question I forgot to ask you all is: Should I take a sleeping pill the night before so I am drowsy the next morning when I have to take it? 

I only need to tell a white lie on 1 question (tried marijuana, should have just admitted it but I didnt know, too late to admit now) and the rest Im perfectly honest about. What should I do, just try to lie it out or say that im concerned that once i was in a car that was hotboxed with a guy or something and im scared my mind might wander to that when you ask me if ive done it.   

Dimas, no its not maricopa.  But i plan to work overtime alot and after all the stuff it gets up to 22 an hour overtime.   

P.S. Please people, if you want to complain and be anti-this-site dont post on this thread and change subjects, i really need help and feedback.  I really need this job and I'm paranoid about this test.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 8:07am
There is very little documented information about polygraph countermeasures that is not already included in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. Regarding various sensors used by polygraphers in an attempt to detect countermeasures, see the discussion thread, Counter-countermeasure Techniques.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 10:43am
Well I know the issue was refrenced to but it doesnt really help. This is what it says about my question:

What About the Relevant Questions?
You may naturally be upset at being asked accusatory questions such as “Did you leak that memo?” or “Have you committed an act of espionage against the United States?” Don’t worry. Just maintain your baseline breathing pattern. Your mind should be more at ease
knowing that you—and not your polygrapher—are in control. Even if you produce a slight response when asked the accusatory relevant questions, you will have artificially produced stronger responses while answering the “control” questions.

Thats all it says.  Baisically it says "just maintain your baseline breathing pattern."  HOW DO I DO THAT? What do i think about.  That is my question exactly.  Is what I described above an I/R test? What about my other questions?

If it is an I/R test, the brief paragraph  in the book doesnt make much sense.  So should I bite my tongue on the questions about what day it is or what?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 1:08pm
Quote:
...Thats all it says.  Baisically it says "just maintain your baseline breathing pattern."  HOW DO I DO THAT? What do i think about.  That is my question exactly....

To maintain one's baseline breathing pattern, it would make sense to be thinking about one's breathing.

Quote:
Is what I described above an I/R test?

Yes, it would appear to be an R/I (note the letter order) technique. (Bear in mind, however, that it's also possible that the person who has described the procedure to you mistook one or more probable-lie "control" questions for relevant questions.)

Quote:
What about my other questions?

As for taking a sleeping pill to make yourself drowsy before your polygraph examination, I think it's a dumb idea. As for what admissions you should make to your polygrapher, I have no advice for you.

Quote:
If it is an I/R test, the brief paragraph  in the book doesnt make much sense.  So should I bite my tongue on the questions about what day it is or what?

The R/I technique is explained at pp. 115-119 of the 3rd edition of TLBTLD. Countermeasures to the R/I technique are addressed at p. 152. See  also my recent post on this topic in the message thread, no control.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 3:19pm
Quote:
Here we have a "Brilliant Scientist" who is trying to be a prison guard.....say what?  And he wants to know a "tactic that is not in the book".  George, help him out here....Oh I forgot, you have failed two polygraph tests but you have never tried any of these "tactics" yourself.  However that doesn't keep you from teaching others all about it does it?  So tell "Brilliant Scientist", (BS),  all about it..... sort of like one brilliant scientist to another.

You suggest that the fact that I have failed two polygraphs and have never used polygraph countermeasures somehow invalidates the countermeasure information provided in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. It doesn't.

Indeed, it was the experience of being accused of deception by one polygrapher and of countermeasure use by another (when in both cases I had told the truth and not used countermeasures) that led me to research polygraphy. I am not ashamed of this, and I've described this experience in a public statement that may be read here:

http://antipolygraph.org/statements/statement-003.shtml

The information about countermeasures provided in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector is not based on my personal experience fooling polygraphs, but rather on extensive research, accompanied by ample citations that skeptical readers may check for themselves.

If you think these countermeasures don't work, then why don't you accept Dr. Richardson's polygraph countermeasure challenge?

Wink

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box I-SMELL-BS.

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 6:53pm
Has anyone noticed that Michael Moore and George Masche look exactly alike?  And they both spout bullshit about things they know nothing about.  Could it be that George is actually Moore?  Both are fat, both are loudmouths, both share the communist philosophy.  Think about it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 7:41am
Communist philosopy?

BS, you truly are an idiot and George is a much better man than I, as I would have erased your pathetic posts a long time ago.

Ad hominem attacks are used when the person has lost the argument based on facts and resorts to any tactic to raise his low self esteem.  Since all BS's posts are ad hominem attacks and not factual and relevant, I take it he himself has problems with his physical appearance and lack of success.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

A tactic that's NOT in the book that helps!!!?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X