Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Do LE agencies really share your info, fingerprint (Read 17965 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box spruceland
New User

Do LE agencies really share your info, fingerprint
May 16th, 2004 at 9:23am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I was curious if someone new for certain on whether police agencies share your information with other agencies.  I tested with an agency and they are really messing up my career endeavors.  The background investigator said I could pick up my background packet any time next week.  Two days had passed and he asked me why I didn't pick it up. I apoligized for the confusion (although there was none).  He didn't give me the job and now when other agencies contact him, he tells them that I missed my appointments (plural).  I tried explaining this to the agency, but in the end no one believes a civilian. In any case, I'm thinking about omitting the fact that I tested with this agency (I was fingerprinted).   

My question is: Do agencies really have the ability to share information, even if I test out of state? I've read the following here, but it seems like they are not 100% certain.  I think it would be too much work for the NAFIS (National Automated Fingerprints Identification System) to include who made inqueries, or it may just be useless information to them.  I'm considering doing a background check on myself or hiring a background investigator to do a fingerprint inquery and ask him to get me, if he can, the info about who else made inqueries on me (there were some other agencies I've tested with in the past).  Any input or suggestions would be appreciated (or even a phone number to the FBI fingerprint division, which I couldn't find).

"If you were fingerprinted it will follow you to every single law enforcement agency you ever apply. I learned this the hard way. If you lie about applying to another agency and you were fingerprinted by that agency it will come up during a backround investigation. Every time you are finger printed by a law enforcement agency (criminal or employment) it comes up on fingerprint check. Your prints come back from a national fingerprint check as printed for employment and the name of the agency that printed you. It stays with you forever. There is no way around it. This goes for every single law enforcement agency in the U.S."

"The way that your BI tracks with whom you have tested with, is through life scans. When you get far enough into your testing with any agency, they will take your fingerprint on the lifescan machine, which in turn is recorded with the Department of Justice. Your BI can and will obtain a copy of this. If you have several police departments you have been fingerprinted with, they will show, but if you tested with a department and were disqualified, say, during your written, they most likely will not be able to track it."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box luke272
New User

Re: Do LE agencies really share your info, fingerp
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2004 at 9:11pm
YES. It stays with you for life. It will come up on every fingerprint check any agency does on you. There is no way around it. I am 100% positive. If you don’t tell the new agency your applying too as soon as they run your fingerprints you are going to get caught and DQ'd for lying. As was previously stated your fingerprints will follow you to every single law enforcement agency in the United States you ever apply to.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2004 at 11:36pm
I just called the FBI and spoke to someone in their fingerprinting division and they said no they do not keep a list.  I asked her if she was 100% sure and she said, "Yes" ; however, the said I could order my own criminal background check for $18. 

When I got transferred to order it, I asked the next person the same question and her reply was that it could quite possibly contain the information and that they could not release that to me.  I think she got suspicious for some reason and asked me why I wanted to know; I said I just do.  She was very vague and I think she didn't really know, but the first person I spoke to said she was 100% sure.

I also called the CA DOJ and the person said they do not keep a record of inqueries either unless something negative came up.

So my question is: how or why do you say that the inqueries follow you for the rest of your life?  Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PI

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2004 at 11:55pm
You have just discovered proof that the people on this board are full of shit.  And you will find that George, Anonymous, and Triple Excrement are the biggest bullshitters in this group of bullshitters. Shocked

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2004 at 12:16am
Spruceland,

In the computer age that we live in, why is it so hard for you to believe that the Department of Justice (DOJ) keeps a chronological record of all fingerprint scans from inquiring police agencies?  I don't know for a fact that they do, but I think that it would be very easy for the DOJ to simply list in chronological order all previous live scans received, and the requesting agency.   

Of course, I could be all wrong here.  Why don't you go ahead and test your theory by lying to the next police agency that you apply with, and let us all know what happens?  I'd be willing to bet you a dollar to a doughnut that you would get caught in a bold faced lie, and booted out the door.  Try explaining THAT to another police department Background Investigator.  No other police agency out there would touch you with a ten foot pole after they found out you lied on another department's background package.  You would be instantly labeled persona non grata.

Or even better yet......instead of wasting time figuring out how you can cover a blatant lie, why don't you just tell the plain old truth and calmly explain your past experience with the other police department?  IMHO, this is your only option.

Good luck.

Kona 

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2004 at 3:03am
Thank you, I'm going to need the luck.

Honesty isn't always the best policy.  I don't drink, smoke and have never done drugs. I am a good person.  I earned a B.A. in law enforcement.  When I first started testing, they said I lacked life experience.  As I tested more and got my degree, my scores got better and my interview skills did too. I graduated with a 90% grade point average.  I eat, sleep, drink, breathe police officer. I have no criminal history and basically have a perfect background except for the fact that I've tested with too many agencies (over 50 times- some repeated).  In a mid size department (with less than 200 officers) I can score in the top 10 most of the time.

When I tested with L.A. , they passed me, but when the information came back from the example I gave  above, they failed me on the pyschological for whatever reason, which to this day still haunts my endeavors.  A couple of other agencies I've tested with had background investigators that really could have cared less if I got hired.  I have passed 3 backgrounds, 8 polygraphs, 3 psychologicals.  When I test with agencies, they look my long list of agencies I 've tested with, and I know they think I'm a reject or something.  Testing became kind of a hobby when I was younger; I wish I never tested as much as I did.  The funny thing is that most LE officers and techers said just keep testing and that's exactly what I did. I decided to try the honesty approach one last time with an agency I tested with last year. I was their #3 guy and everything was going fine. They asked me to write a letter explaining my expereinces with the agencies, which was a 7 page explanation letter of my experiences with various departments and why I thought they didn't hire me.  Guess what their reply was. You're a nice guy, but our Chief is looking for squeeky clean people.  And my official denial letter said: Thank you for testing, but there were other higher qualified candidates, which is total b.s.!

So whoever said honesty is the best policy probably didn't get anywhere.  I truly feel that by omitting some of the agencies I've tested with will open the door to law enforcment for me.  This is something I really want to do, and it's been 10 years and I'm still standing here hoping that I get hired.  I do somewhat feel bad about omitting this tiny fact but I know if I don't, I won't have my career.  I don't want to go through life thinking should have, could have, would have.  Everytime I see a police officer, my heart sinks because I think that should be me.

Besides, what is it to them that I tested with another agency?  It was my time and my efforts. As long as I didn't do anything wrong, it's none of their business.  They could do their own background instead of being lazy and asking other people who didn't do their job well in the first place.  So that's that.  No more Mr. Nice Guy.  As the saying goes: nice guys do finish last (NO MORE)  And I'm going to do whatever I can to get hired>Sad

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2004 at 5:03am
Quote:
You have just discovered proof that the people on this board are full of shit.  And you will find that George, Anonymous, and Triple Excrement are the biggest bullshitters in this group of bullshitters

Hey if you want to take the advice of assholes like this go ahead. 
I don’t care what you have heard your prints stay with you for life and will come up every single time a law enforcement agency runs them during the hiring process. How do I know? I lied to a police department in another state about it and got caught. I learned the hard way. After doing tons of research and talking to actual police department investigators I found out it is with you for life. ANY time you are printed for law enforcement employment it comes back on your fingerprints. Hey you don’t believe me? Lie and get DQ'd. Not my problem, I contacted everyone including lawyers and found out there is no way around it. I'm trying to help you out as someone who has been in a similar position. Do some research on the topic and you will see I am 100% correct.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2004 at 7:34am
spruceland wrote on May 18th, 2004 at 3:03am:
I have no criminal history and basically have a perfect background except for the fact that I've tested with too many agencies (over 50 times- some repeated).

Holy cow!!  Over 50 agencies, repeatedly???  How did you deal with all the paperwork?  I was worn out after applying to two different agencies with all the paperwork, personal history statements, etc.   

Maybe some of the police departments in question felt that you didn't have a clue what you really wanted after seeing that you applied to 50+ departments.  However, that in itself shouldn't have DQ'ed you from any particular agency. 

So whoever said honesty is the best policy probably didn't get anywhere.  I truly feel that by omitting some of the agencies I've tested with will open the door to law enforcment for me.

I am just one person with an opinion here, but I feel that if you lie about the other agencies that you applied to, you WILL get caught, and that open door to law enforcement will become closed and locked.

Besides, what is it to them that I tested with another agency?  It was my time and my efforts. As long as I didn't do anything wrong, it's none of their business.

Wrong.  It's their business because you are applying to their agency, and they want to know.  Maybe the question is nothing more than an integrity check.  If you get caught in a bold faced lie like this, you won't have any integrity in their eyes, and you definitely won't get the job.

They could do their own background instead of being lazy and asking other people who didn't do their job well in the first place.  So that's that.  No more Mr. Nice Guy.  As the saying goes: nice guys do finish last (NO MORE)  And I'm going to do whatever I can to get hired>Sad

Spruceland, I don't think that the attitude displayed above is going to win any hearts and minds in the police department's Background Investigator's office.  Hopefully, that attitude won't show when you are conducting your interview.

I have one question for you......were you offered a job by ANY of the 50+ agencies that you applied? 

Regards,

Kona

IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - May 18th, 2004 at 7:59am
Quote:
I am just one person with an opinion here, but I feel that if you lie about the other agencies that you applied to, you WILL get caught, and that open door to law enforcement will become closed and locked.

I agree with you Kona on everything but this statement. This is not true. You can simply state that you forgot to put it down on your application. I explained that to my investigator with a department since and had no problem at all. I did however have a lot of explaining to do. I would definitely not lie about it because you will get caught on your fingerprints. 

IP Logged

New User

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2004 at 8:41am
Thanks guys,

I received a conditional offer of employment around 5-6 times.  I actually smile and throw that letter in my drawer when it comes in the mail because there's always something that messes it up. I call it the "Al Bundy" syndrome.   

I have actually TESTED a total of around 45 times.  Many of those times, I didn't get a history packet nor did I not score high enough to continue. As I tested more, I got better (remember this is a period of 10 years).  One agency I tested 5 times with, another 6 agencies I tested 3 times times over, and a couple of others twice. And the rest were different cities and a couple out of state.  I received a background packet around twelve-fourteen times (a lot of those times, I was not competitive enough and my name just expired from the list with no further action), and have been finger printed by eight different agencies.  Since I earned my B.A. four years ago, I have only tested  a total of 3 times and have ranked pretty high, but sure enough that one background investigators comments are messing me up, even when I explain what happened.

I am really hoping you guys are wrong and am thinking about chancing it, OR waiting a couple of years and earning my MBA and then applying and explaining.  I guess I have a decision to make.   

Thank you all! Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #10 - May 18th, 2004 at 10:57am
luke272 wrote on May 18th, 2004 at 7:59am:

I agree with you Kona on everything but this statement. This is not true. You can simply state that you forgot to put it down on your application. I explained that to my investigator with a department since and had no problem at all. I did however have a lot of explaining to do. I would definitely not lie about it because you will get caught on your fingerprints. 

Luke,

Bottom line here is that you had to admit to applying to another department after you conveniently "forgot" to put it down on your application.  Was it worth "forgetting" and then having to do a tap dance for the BI afterwards?  I doubt it.  Wouldn't it have just been easier to tell the truth, and not have to do all the explaining after the fact?  With another BI at a different police department, you very well could have been DQ'ed on the spot for that "omission."   

Nuff said.

Kona

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2004 at 11:24am
spruceland wrote on May 18th, 2004 at 8:41am:
I received a conditional offer of employment around 5-6 times.  I actually smile and throw that letter in my drawer when it comes in the mail because there's always something that messes it up. I call it the "Al Bundy" syndrome.

Did you ever follow up on any of these conditional offers of employment, or did you just blow them off?  After you've been given a conditional offer, usually the only things that can mess things up are the psychological exam or the physical exam.  What happened?

spruceland wrote on May 18th, 2004 at 8:41am:
I am really hoping you guys are wrong and am thinking about chancing it, OR waiting a couple of years and earning my MBA and then applying and explaining.  I guess I have a decision to make.

You can hope all you want, but I'm going on the record here that if you "forget" to list your prior police dept applications, you will get caught in a lie/omission and be DQ'ed.   

Also, earning a MBA, while admirable, isn't going to make you more competitive for a police officer recruit job.  You already have much more than the requisite education for the job, and should concentrate on following through with the process.

Best of luck in your decision.

Kona

IP Logged

New User

Reply #12 - May 18th, 2004 at 11:41pm
Bottom line here is that you had to admit to applying to another department after you conveniently "forgot" to put it down on your application.  Was it worth "forgetting" and then having to do a tap dance for the BI afterwards?  I doubt it.  Wouldn't it have just been easier to tell the truth, and not have to do all the explaining after the fact?  With another BI at a different police department, you very well could have been DQ'ed on the spot for that "omission."    

You are right. It was not worth it at all. I never said it was. I could have been DQ'd on the spot but luckily I wasn’t. It was a bad move, that is why I'm trying to help out and tell this guy not to try to lie. If you lie about applying to another agency and you WERE fingerprinted you will get caught. BOTTOM LINE. Good luck.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon

Reply #13 - Jul 11th, 2004 at 11:18am
What if you applied to an agency and was dq'd but not fingerprinted?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #14 - Jul 12th, 2004 at 10:16am
OK fellas, here goes for EVERYONE to understand.  Lying on a background packet or to a potential LE employer will get you nowhere and looks very poorly on your character.  You are going to be enforcing the laws!  when our children are in trouble we tell them to wait for or go to a POLICEMAN for help.  How many of us want our kids running to a cop with no integrity?

Now, while many of you may not get caught due to omission, many of you will get caught and I hope ALL of you get caught.   

There are other ways to find out where you applied other than getting a list of people that have checked your finger prints on AFIS.   When an agency checks your credit it comes up on your credit report, an agency may request your IRS tax information for the last 3 years and find out who else requested it.  But most importantly they find out because other people tell them, be it past employers, your friends, parents or spouse; someone will let it slip that you applied to this or that agency and they will find out.

Bottom line, stop trying to hide things, try the honest approach if it doesn't work keep trying again and again, eventually you will get hired somewhere.  I speak from experience so please take my advice.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Do LE agencies really share your info, fingerprint

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X