Normal Topic effects of prescription drugs on results (Read 2147 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marvin Dixon

effects of prescription drugs on results
May 13th, 2004 at 4:11am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I was offered a poly in order to clear my name in an alleged larceny in a l.e. capacity. Supervisor knew that due to  prescriptions I had been on for depression and adult a.d.h.d, and the jitters I had been experiencing from some of these meds not working well together, gave me an ultimatum. Test (fail and be terminated) or re-write statement  to fit what he wanted into it. Can prescription drugs and their effects on someone be legitimately used to avoid a polygraph?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: effects of prescription drugs on results
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2004 at 8:43am
Marvin,

There are virtually no studies on the effects of any medications (prescription or otherwise) on polygraph examinations. While polygraphers will typically decline to polygraph someone who is under the temporory influence of a mind-altering drug, it is unlikely that any polygrapher would deem you to be unsuitable for polygraph "testing" because of your prescription medications.

Your supervisor may have a legal right to compel you to submit to a polygraph examination. However, it would be entirely inappropriate for your employer to take any adverse personnel action against you based on the outcome of this invalid "test."

In addition, it seems entirely inappropriate (and perhaps illegal) for your supervisor to use the threat of a mandatory polygraph "test" (and termination should you "fail") to coerce you into re-writing a statement to suit his purposes. If you are a member of a union, you might want to contact your union representative regarding this matter. I think it would be wise to also consult a lawyer.

If you do end up submitting to a polygraph examination and any attempt is made to take adverse action against you based on the results, you may contact AntiPolygraph.org to obtain a signed copy of Dr. Drew C. Richardson's expert evaluation and opinion of CQT polygraphy for presentation in any administrative or legal hearing.

Finally, if you do end up being compelled to submit to a polygraph interrogation, be sure to read The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (1 mb PDF) first (especially Chapters 3 & 4).

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2004 at 8:44am
Marvin,

1. Don't submit yourself to a polygraph.
2. Consult a lawyer.

Kona

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box marvin
New User

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2004 at 12:48am
I just wanted to know if prescription drugs and an adverse effect could give a false positive to a poly. Thank you for your reply's and words of encouragement. A large part of my problem is that here in Virginia, we work at the 'will and pleasure' of the Sheriff and have little to no recourse. We are not at all like the police depts. that can unionize. Although they can not strike, they can have a strong voice for representation. It is very different for us. I have loved my time working for this sheriff, and until now have not had a reason to have any ill will towards anyone. In all likelyhood, he doesn't even know what has taken place. I have made steps toward at least speaking with an atty., but I am afraid they may just say what I have a gut feeling about anyway. That I am just out of luck and have to deal with it. All I seek is to have my name cleared and my pay restored. The transfer is a welcome relief. Thanks again for your words of support.

IP Logged

effects of prescription drugs on results

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X