Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) FBI intelligence analyst position (Read 29378 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MasterTuner
New User

FBI intelligence analyst position
May 13th, 2004 at 4:05am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I was just curious if anyone has applied to the FBI intelligence analyst position or knows anything about the job.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Re: FBI intelligence analyst position
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2004 at 5:36am
Dear MasterTuner,

This position is definitely a new unknown field in the FBI.  If you research the CIA and NSA intelligence functions, I think you will have a better handle on it.  People in the FBI who were filling these positions have expressed alot of frustration (as documented in Staff Statement #12 of the 9/11 Commission Reports) that they do not get enough information to be of any value.

The FBI does not  how to properly use their expertise (they were "assigned reception telephone duty and emptying the waste baskets").  What a waste of resources!

Being the groundbreaker in any government field can be very frustrating.  This is a groundbreaking position in the FBI.  You can hit the GrandSlam home run ball and end up in the Hall of Fame or strike out and never be desired on any team.  It is a game of percentages.  If you are young, single, and have nothing to lose, go for it.  If you are married, have children, and a mortgage, think long and hard about leaving your present job.

Regards.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2004 at 1:59am
That doesn't sound very hopeful.  I really wanted to know if the FBI has started calling people in for interviews yet since they keep changing the announcement number, deadline dates, and general application system.  I applied for this position but your description doesn't make it sound promising.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2004 at 5:39am
Dear MasterTuner,

I am sorry if my last posting came out of the gate being negative.  The FBI is going through a monumental change of culture and I did not want to paint the picture too rosy.  I would not hold my breath on any application in the FBI right now.  The system is taxed to the limit and a one year wait from start to finish seems to be the minimum time in limbo.  You will require alot of patience to go through the hoops.  I certainly would not get excited about any "conditional letters of appointment."  Only one of three conditional applicants actually gets the job so I would not let my employer or family know of any results until you get the final offer of employment and starting date.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box photograph
New User

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 10:59pm
I am wondering as well! I applied for an Intelligence Analyst position in the Chicago office at the end of May.  I haven't heard a thing.  Last week I e-mailed a woman in FBI's HQ in Washington, D.C.  She responded that she thought requests for interviews and/or replies to applications would be sent out by the end of the month (July).   I don't know if the 9/11 Commission report and recommendations will have any affect on this while hiring process.

Good luck! What is your background? I am currently an attorney with the federal government.  We'll see...

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2004 at 5:47am
Photograph,

Good luck with the process.  I orignally applied for the field office and HQ announcements and was DQed for both.  I reapplied in May after they changed the system but haven't heard anything yet.  People are being interviewed and hired, very quickly in some cases.  I'm just hoping and praying that I get called for this position before I'm drafted by the SSG (Special Surveillance Group).

My Background:
MA Economics 2002
BA German 2000
Economics instructor 3 months
Financial Advisor 4 months

Very little work experience due to my region's dismal economy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1st sgt

Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2004 at 5:47pm
MasterTuner,

Why would you want the Intelligence Analyst instead of the SSG position?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 4:51am
1st Sgt,

Sitting at a desk and analyzing information is simply more in tune with my training and personality.  The SSG position requires one to be a keen observer but from what I understand it has its undesirable aspects most notably, long rotating hours.  Quite simply,  I believe the IA position would be a better fit for me.  As one of the gentleman who interviewed me for the SSG said " I honestly see you doing something at a higher level than this".  I would like to note however that I have a great deal of respect for the men and women who perform this vital duty.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2004 at 11:04pm
Does anyone have any additional news?  I called my Senator yesterday and his office told me that today a Senate committee was returning from summer break to address the issues raised in the 911 Commission report.  The chairman from the committee testified.  I'm not sure that this will affect the FBI's plans to hire intelligence analysts.  It looks like they'll need them no matter what.  I can't stand the waiting.

BTW - what does DQd mean?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2004 at 7:06pm
I checked the FBIjobs.com site today for the status of my application.  For both grade 9 & 11 it reads, "Basic requirements met; not referred for selection."  I am soooooo disappointed. Has anyone else heard? What exactly does this mean? I possess the basic requirements but they don't want to hire me?  Is there any benefit in applying for a similar position in Washington?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pixie1276
New User

Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2004 at 10:33pm
I have been offered a position with the fbi as an intelligence analyst (if my poly and urinalysis are ok).  I applied online in early july, got a call from hq two weeks later to fill out the background employment app.  They have just concluded the background check (going to employers, neighbors, etc), and I have my personnel security interview tomorrow.  It looks as though I will be starting in Sept. or Oct.  The background process moves pretty quickly, so be prepared to make yourself available for interviews or actually starting on very short notice.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pixie1276
New User

Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2004 at 10:38pm
My background:  BA English 2000; JD 2004
My application was for grade 9 (used the law degree to substitute for experience) and was for DC because I was told that there is more ability for promotion there (due to number of positions).  I also possess prof. level fluency in German and French.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jerseyguy
New User

Reply #12 - Sep 8th, 2004 at 1:12am
pixie1276 wrote on Aug 17th, 2004 at 10:33pm:
I have been offered a position with the fbi as an intelligence analyst (if my poly and urinalysis are ok).  I applied online in early july, got a call from hq two weeks later to fill out the background employment app.  They have just concluded the background check (going to employers, neighbors, etc), and I have my personnel security interview tomorrow.  It looks as though I will be starting in Sept. or Oct.  The background process moves pretty quickly, so be prepared to make yourself available for interviews or actually starting on very short notice.

Pixie - did you start yet? How is it going, if so? I applied on the FBI site in June but just got a call for my first inteview. It didn't come from HQ - it came from the local office I had indicated as my preferred place of employment How is the polygraph test? Really hard? I really don't know if they have started my background check yet. The job sounds really interesting, and I really want it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dsm0507
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 9th, 2004 at 1:34am
I'm going thru the process now. I just had the PSI and drug test. I'm now waiting to be scheduled for the poly, which will be within a week or so. After I pass that, they will open up my background. The SA that interviewed me said they do not open up backgrounds unless you pass the poly. No sense in wasting the money because  they cost a lot. I got selected for the GS-11/1 but would prefer the GS12. ugg. I just want to get my foot in the door. My suggestion for anyone who is waiting on an application they submitted is to call the local applicant coordinator and leave a voice mail. They may not return your call but things may suddenly happen if you call them and ask about your application status. If you qualify and they want you in, they will push you thru the process.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #14 - Sep 9th, 2004 at 5:06am
Dear DSM0507,

I have had posters recently stating that their background checks started before their polygraph and urinalysis.  Your posting agrees with what I have known to be true in the past that the background check will not begin until you successfully pass the polygraph and drug screening test.

As of this date, I do not know of anyone who has been successfully hired that did not go through the drug screening and polygraph in the FBI before their background checks.

Has anyone who has been successfully hired had the polygraph after their "full" background investigation?  I am just wondering because this would be a radical change from past hiring practices (and a welcome one!).

Regards and good luck.

IP Logged

FBI intelligence analyst position

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X