Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) FBI intelligence analyst position (Read 29385 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Re: FBI intelligence analyst position
Reply #15 - Sep 9th, 2004 at 5:46am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Fair Chance,

I agree with you regarding the FBI hiring process. I find it questionable at best, that the bureau would actually initiate a complete [full scope] TS background investigation for a candidate prior to the pre-employment polygraph and drug test. The time and effort would be worthless if the candidate failed the polygraph and/or drug test after the BI.

My personal experience was as follows:   

1) Conditional offer
2) Medical exam
3) Finger printing
4) Security interview
5) Drug test
6) Polygraph exam

The background investigation was not initiated until successful completion of the pre-employment polygraph exam.

Triple x

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wagonbarn
New User

Reply #16 - Sep 11th, 2004 at 1:18am
Hello - I just applied for an IA position and I was wondering what types of background and experience is the FBI looking for with this position?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #17 - Sep 11th, 2004 at 2:58am
Wagonbarn,

What exactly is an "IA" position? Is that a special agent or professional support position.?

triple x

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wagonbarn
New User

Reply #18 - Sep 11th, 2004 at 9:00am
Triple X sorry - Intelligence Analyst position (IA)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box alliebean
New User

Reply #19 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 10:01pm
Yes.  My BI was almost complete before my poly and drug screening.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box alliebean
New User

Reply #20 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 10:04pm
Also, the whole process took just over 3 months.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NateTook
New User

Reply #21 - Oct 12th, 2004 at 4:48pm
A few questions and comments regarding the Intelligence Analyst position that I hope some people may be able to elaborate on.

I applied in March, got a call in July asking if I was still interested, said yes, received all the papework to fill out and then didn't hear anything for over a month.  Then a friend who I used as a reference called me to say congratulations on getting the job.  Apparently the investigators told this friend that I had been offered the job contingent on the outcome of the background check and security screening.  I never had an interview, just filled out some online forms and other paperwork.  I called the person I sent my papers to who told me, after I expressed surprise about the possibility of being hired without being interviewed, "They don't have to interview you for this job."  I am scheduled to take a polygraph next week.

My comment is that this seems awkward and maybe a bit inefficient to go through an extensive background check and possibly hire me but not actually interview me.  Comments on this would be appreciated.

My questions are:

Is this true, that I can be hired even though not interviewed?

How soon after the polygraph/security interview could I expect to begin working?

If I DO decide to accept the position, will this hurt or hinder me if I decide to go to another intelligence agency in the future?

If I DO NOT decide to accept the position and stay in the private sector, will it hurt or hinder me if I look to other intelligence agencies instead, after the FBI spent considerable time on my application?

I applied for the position in February so I didn't save the posting and can't remember what pay grade I listed.  I have a JD and a Master's Degree, five years military experience, and some diverse civilian work experience, but nothing directly related to being an intelligence analyst.  Does anybody know what pay grade/step I might be in?

I appreciate any comments.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NateTook
New User

Reply #22 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 3:07pm
I noticed I wrote that I applied in March then later I wrote that I applied in February.  Don't remember the exact date but it was either late Feb. or early March, just in case anybody was thinking I couldn't keep track of time.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box kuilei
New User

Reply #23 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 9:44pm
I think you can start as soon as you pass your background check and polygraph.  As soon as the HR people get the "go" they're likely to call you up.
You're at the very least GS-9 with the JD, but possibly higher (GS-11) with your military experience.
You must be a prime candidate to not have to interview, which is all to your advantage in the case you decide not to accept or decide to pursue intelligence work with another agency.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jimmybooya
New User

Reply #24 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 10:32am
Does anyone know what the job of somone with a heavy science backgound woud be for the FBI.  I have seen on their website that they are looking for people with backgrounds in chemistry, physics, and biology, and I assume that people with these backgrounds would fill intelligence analyst positions but what exaclty would they do?

I'm very interested in working for the government but am wondering how useful my background would be, I have a BS in chemistry, with enough physcis to choke a horse, and will begin work on my Ph.D. in analytical chemistry next fall.  Specifically my research has been in instrument design, but if you can build them you can run them most definatly.  I have a very mild background into high explosives, I understand just enough organic chemistry to get myself killed.  I'm also fascinated by firearms, every aspect design, ballistics, you name it I've read about it.   

So I guess really the question is, is there a job for me working with chemical instruments, or would I be moving papers from one side of a desk to the other?

Thanks, hope this post wasnt too long for only being my second.

IP Logged

FBI intelligence analyst position

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X