Normal Topic Upcomming Polygraph (Read 2964 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred_White
New User

Upcomming Polygraph
May 6th, 2004 at 6:37pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello, I took a polygraph around 2 years ago and I came out a false positive (said i'm a drug addict and a thief), needless to say I didnt get my job in LE. Since then I have recently moved out of state and I was wondering if any one can tell me if those results will follow me out of state to a new agency i'm currently testing for? I have yet to fill out a questionaire asking if I have ever applied any where else or have I even taken a polygraph before. Should I volunteer that info to this new agency as well? Any info would be appreciative.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Canadian Crusader
Senior User

Re: Upcomming Polygraph
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2004 at 7:50pm
This exact thing happened with me and I can catagorically say the false results followed me to the bitter end.  Needless to say I was not hired with any of the 5 forces I applied to and have since moved on.

I too was faced with the dilema of whether or not to divudge that I had tested and been deferred elsewhere.  The thought crossed my mind a million times "if I had only not said anything I might be a cop now".  I can't tell you what to do either way. 

Tell the new force where you applied last and take your 50/50 chance that they may or may not take your past poly results as legit, or lie and risk the chance later of potentially being fired for lieing on your application should you get in.  Sorry.  Hard choice.  I tried the honesty approach and none of the 4 other forces gave me one second to explain what happened during my first and only poly.  They took the word of the snake polygrapher and deferred me.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2004 at 1:10am
Fred,

You really don't have any choice about listing the agencies where you had previously applied.  If you lie about this, and they find out, then you are history....end of story.  Not worth it, in my humble opinion.

The issue of the polygraph failure is not necessarily going to blackball you at another police agency.  I have found that many police departments in California don't give a damn what another department's poly examiner says about you.  They all think that they have the best examiners, and won't accept what another says about you, good or bad.  This is definitely good for you.   

If they ask about your previous poly failure, just tell them that you failed, and you really don't know why since you were telling the 100% truth, and leave it at that.  Don't harp on the negative, or try to speculate on why you failed.  Move on to the next question.   

Good luck to you.

Kona

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred_White
New User

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2004 at 5:49pm
OK, I appreciate the info. I'm going to have to think about this one, its a tough call. Thanks for responding. I will keep you all posted in a couple weeks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box I-Smell-BS

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2004 at 6:50pm
Fred_White wrote on May 7th, 2004 at 5:49pm:
OK, I appreciate the info. I'm going to have to think about this one, its a tough call. Thanks for responding. I will keep you all posted in a couple weeks.

Yes, Fred that is a tough call for sure.  A drug addict, a thief, and now trying to decide whether to add liar to the list.   Shocked

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2004 at 11:01pm
I-Smell-BS,

Presuming you are a polygrapher, do you lie to your examinees during the course of an interrogation?

Dave

Quote:

Yes, Fred that is a tough call for sure.  A drug addict, a thief, and now trying to decide whether to add liar to the list.   Shocked

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Darren Jensen

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2004 at 1:33am
Quote:

Yes, Fred that is a tough call for sure.  A drug addict, a thief, and now trying to decide whether to add liar to the list.   Shocked

Interesting direction to take, but Fred did say that is was a FALSE positive.

But you're right, I do smell BS...and it seems to be yours.

IP Logged

Upcomming Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X