Normal Topic poly test results & my marriage (Read 3415 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box timmy1987
New User

poly test results & my marriage
Apr 19th, 2004 at 7:39pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
My husband and I have been together for 6 years now.  He has been questioning my past sexual history since he found out that I dated a lot before we met.  Now, after years of marriage and a daughter together he questions me, his wife, once again about my past.  Apparently it has been eating him up inside "not knowing the truth" about the number of men I had been with before him.  He still thinks that I am lying to him and has told me that he will not move on or trust me until I take a polygraph test.  I am more then willing to do this but I am so fearful of the test giving me false results and destroying my marriage.  If I go in and am totally honest will I still risk the change of the test coming out false?  Should I use countermeasures to insure a truthful outcome?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Re: poly test results & my marriage
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 8:03pm
its none of his damn business what you did before you met. if he was that hung up about it, he shoulda figured it out before you got married. thats not really a polygraph answer but if you insist on what seems like a really silly course of action i can tell you this.

I took an employment polygraph once. i have never taken an illegal drug in my life. my test was "inconclusive" on this question. my impression of the poly is that it is mostly useful to get guilty people into a frame of mind to admit stuff. other people will tell you that they were accused of deception and claim innocence. others will tell you they were guilty and passed. Spin the roulette wheel if you want, but it seems you have deeper issues than what a polygraph will or wont solve.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 11:30pm
timmy1987,

I agree with the previous poster - the polygraph (regardless of the outcome) will not solve your problems.  Chances are, even if a polygraph "verified" your claims your husband will research the polygraph, find that it is not accurate, and will then seek out another method of investigation/interrogation/abuse.

I must admit that I can relate to your husband - in past relationships I have had problems dealing with sexual pasts.  In my opinion, it really is an issue of maturity.  I have since reached a point in which it just isn't an issue (okay, there are some things that I'm not willing to accept).  Rather than battling to prove to your husband that what you say is true, you need to encourage your husband to seek help.  This problem is his, not yours.  After six years and a child, time to move on.  His issues, in my opinion, don't have as much to do with your sexual past as they do with his need to control.  I hope you can solve this problem in a manner that suits both of you but I absolutely encourage one thing - under no circumstances should you sit and engage in a question/answer session with your husband regarding your past.  This will only make things worse.  If this is already going on it has to stop.  Answering his questions will only perpetuate the problem and drive both of you crazier.  Good luck.

Lastly, DO NOT take a polygraph.  That is ridiculous and, frankly, I'd be quite offended if my significant other asked me to be the subject of a polygraph.  That's bullshit.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BlackJhack
User

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 11:59pm
Timmy1987,
DO NOT trust your marriage in the hands of a polygraph examiner. I am not going to give you advice on how to fix your marriage, but I am going to tell you that you must absolutely NOT take a plolygraph. The polygraph is not accurate, so therfore you cannot put your trust in it. Even if you go in and plan to tell 100% of the truth, there is a exceedingly great possibility that you will be deemed a liar. That is what polygraphs do, they brand honest people liars and ruin lives. Please DO NOT engage is this voodoo non-science.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2004 at 12:20am
Timmy,

Concur with the above.  You absolutely should not take a polygraph to appease your control freak husband.  He is in serious need of counseling, and a polygraph will not end the badgering and abuse you will suffer as a result.  If you flunk the poly, then you are a damn lier.  If you pass, then something is wrong with the poly and he'll want you to submit to some other degrading test to verify that you are telling the truth.  He will never be satisfied.   

You need to make it crystal clear to him that you will not submit yourself to such humiliation, and that this harrassment must stop now.  You deserve to be treated with dignity and respect; isn't that how he promised to treat you on your wedding day?   

Your past love life (prior to your marriage) is irrelevant now, as you have made a commitment to your husband.  Hopefully he is mature enough to understand that, and with the proper counseling your marriage can move past this situation.   

Good luck to you.

Kona

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2004 at 3:06am
Jeez, I'm qualified to talk about both topics. Polygraph is a fraud. So it "says" you're truthful (it doesn't say that at all, but just for the sake of the argument) about having been with 20 (just to use a number) people in the past. Will "knowing" that your past has been verified make your husband feel any better? What is his magic cut off number, by the way? 14 guys in the past was okay, but 15 or more is grounds for divorce? And if the test "says" you're lying, you are totally screwed. There's no winning either way.

I was in your husband's shoes when I was a lot younger. My (now ex) wife's sexual history dwarfed mine (she was number two for me, and I was number 22 for her, and this is at age 21). It was the night the US won the Olympic gold medal in hockey. I asked her about her past because I wanted to know. She didn't want to say. I persisted. What a colossal blunder on both sides: I shouldn't have asked and she shouldn't have told me. All I could do is imagine her doing this and that, and knowing some of the people made it even worse. I gave her tremendous grief over her past. I wasn't mature enough to deal with that info (plus it fed into other things in my past). This topic was a constant sore for 10 years (the last several years it wasn't an issue so much, but a lot of the damage had already been done).

Your husband needs counseling, and needs it now if there is to be any hope of getting past this issue. It won't just go away by itself. Believe me, I know.

IP Logged

poly test results & my marriage

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X