Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) LAPD Polygraph Cover-up? (Read 72900 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Administrator
Administrator

Re: LAPD Polygraph Cover-up?
Reply #15 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 11:38pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
AntiPolygraph.org has received the following e-mail through an anonymous remailer:

Quote:
1) Why would the LAPD Polygraph Unit supervisor change the results of polygraph examinations?

The supervisor reviews and quality controls the exams.  If he disagrees with the opinion of the examiner, they are supposed to discuss it and come to some agreement, but the supervisor is never to change a report without discussion or forge another examiner's signature on a report.

2) Were these alleged changes made on the supervisor's own initiative, or did someone else ask or order him to change the results? If so, who?

We think he did it on his own.  Examiners give a hard copy of the report and a diskette or email to Ortiz to quality control.  Any changes would have to be kicked back to the examiner and the process is repeated.  Ortiz would email the reports to Backgrounds.  That audit that Carter was doing compared the signed reports in the polygraph files vs reports from Backgrounds.  For only six months there were pages of inconsistencies. I know that Carter began confirming a few before she was transferred.

There's another theory that's been floating out there for years. Gennusa and Ortiz have been best buds since she hired him on as the polygraph supervisor.  Speculation is that he holds secrets about the Department and that's why these managers go through great lengths to protect him.  Why we dont know.  Ortiz embarased LAPD with his screwups like the Oscars, Rampart and a certain son of a city council member who is now a cop. Ortiz is strange. He's got major self-image and ego problems. Ask anyone at the Sheriff's (he was a deputy before he came to LAPD) and they'll tell you that he's an odd duck.

AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #16 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 11:57pm
What is the disposition of the audit report that Carter was doing? If anyone reading this could provide a copy, it would be very helpful for documenting the allegations made here.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #17 - Apr 17th, 2004 at 10:17am
It appears that there is a major scandal involving the LAPD polygraph unit supervisor. The allegations which have been made here are more than specific enough to be verified or disproved. I think this case calls for the kind of scrutiny that only media attention can bring.

At this point, it might be best if the person or persons who have thus far contacted AntiPolygraph.org anonymously would contact the media about the alleged misconduct and cover-up. While it might be necessary to reveal your identity(ies) to the journalist(s) involved, it is common media practice to withhold the names of sources in such cases.

Of course, any further information may still be sent to AntiPolygraph.org.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #18 - Apr 17th, 2004 at 4:32pm
Today, I sent the following e-mail to Los Angeles Chief of Police William J. Bratton:

Quote:
[font=Georgia,Bookman,Times]To: William J.Bratton - Los Angeles Chief of Police <brattonw@lapd.lacity.org>,
<lapdonline@earthlink.net>
Subject: Misconduct and Cover-up in LAPD Scientific Investigation Unit
Alleged
Cc: Mayor James K.Hahn <MayorHahn@mayor.lacity.org>,
Councilman Ed Reyes <reyes@council.lacity.org>,
Councilwoman Wendy Greuel <greuel@council.lacity.org>,
Councilman Dennis P.Zine <zine@council.lacity.org>,
Councilman Tom LaBonge <labonge@council.lacity.org>,
Councilman Jack Weiss <weiss@council.lacity.org>,
Councilman Tony Cardenas <cardenas@council.lacity.org>,
Councilman Alex Padilla <padilla@council.lacity.org>,
Councilman Bernard Parks <parks@council.lacity.org>,
Councilwoman Jan Perry <perry@council.lacity.org>,
Councilman Martin Ludlow <ludlow@council.lacity.org>,
Councilwoman Cindy Miscikowski <miscikow@council.lacity.org>,
Councilman Greig Smith <smith@council.lacity.org>,
Councilman Eric Garcetti <garcetti@council.lacity.org>,
Councilman Antonio Villaraigosa <villaraigosa@council.lacity.org>,
Councilwoman Janice Hahn <hahn@council.lacity.org>,
Sharon Papa <papashar@lapd.lacity.org>,
Laura Johnson <johnsonl@lapd.lacity.org>,
Nancy Gennusa <gennusan@lapd.lacity.org>,
Steven Johnson <johnsons@lapd.lacity.org>,
Los Angeles Police Protective League <leaguemail@lappl.org>,
Los Angeles Times <metrodesk@latimes.com>,
L.A.Daily News Newsroom <dnmetro@dailynews.com>,
L.A.Independent <editor@laindependent.com>,
Daily Bruin News Desk <news@media.ucla.edu>,
UPN Channel 13 Newsdesk <upndesk@upn13.com>,
NBC 4 News Editor <story@nbc4.tv>,
KTTV Fox 11 <newsdesk@fox11la.com>, KCET <viewerservices@kcet.org>,
KNX 1070 <comments@knx1070.com>,
KFI AM 640 News Department <kfinewsdirector@kfi640.com>,
KRLA News Talk 870 <krla@newstalk870krla.com>, KCRW <mail@kcrw.org>,
KPCC <mail@kpcc.org>,
Anthony Marquez - Associated Press <amarquez@ap.org>

Dear Chief Bratton:

I am writing concerning allegations of high-level misconduct within the Los Angeles Police Department that I believe require your personal and prompt attention.

I am a co-founder of AntiPolygraph.org, a non-profit, public interest website dedicated to exposing and ending waste, fraud, and abuse associated with polygraph testing. AntiPolygraph.org has received credible reports that Mr. Roy Ortiz, the supervisor of the LAPD Scientific Investigation Unit's polygraph unit, falsified reports of polygraph examinations of LAPD applicants as well as those of current officers seeking assignment to specialized units such the Narcotics Division, Organized Crime and Vice Division, and the Anti-Terrorist Division.

Specifically, it is alleged that Mr. Ortiz sent to the Personnel Division's Administrative Investigation Section (AIS), commonly referred to as "Backgrounds," polygraph reports that differed from the actual reports on file with the polygraph unit. These discrepancies were allegedly discovered in the course of an audit conducted by Terry Carter. The audit allegedly covered a six-month period and revealed numerous cases where reports sent by Mr. Ortiz to background investigators differed from those on file with the polygraph unit. It is also alleged that in at least one case, Mr. Ortiz forged the signature of an examiner in the polygraph unit following a disagreement over the results of a polygraph examination. It is further alleged that Terry Carter, the employee whose audit exposed the alleged misconduct, was removed from her position and re-assigned to the Supply Section before she could complete her audit.

It is also alleged that upon completion of an Internal Affairs investigation, Police Administrator Steven Johnson, the SID commanding officer, exonerated Mr. Ortiz of all wrongdoing, despite solid proof of misconduct. It is alleged that Mr. Johnson "used the loophole that there was no official Polygraph Unit Manual in place at the time Ortiz changed the reports, therefore Ortiz could not be held accountable for his actions."

It is further alleged that in addition to Mr. Johnson, Police Administrator Nancy Gennusa, Commanding Officer, Technical Services Group, Police Administrator Laura Johnson, Commanding Officer, Fiscal and Technical Services Bureau, and Assistant Chief Sharon Papa,
Office of Support Services, were all aware of Mr. Ortiz's alleged misconduct.

The text of the communications received is posted on the AntiPolygraph.org message board in a thread titled, LAPD Polygraph Cover-up?

These allegations raise serious questions that demand answers, including, but not limited to:

1) Did Mr. Roy Ortiz in fact alter reports of polygraph examinations without the knowledge or consent of the polygraphers who administered them?

2) If Mr. Ortiz did indeed improperly alter such reports, what action has been taken to correct the personnel errors associated with that misconduct?

3) Have the applications of any LAPD applicants who passed the polygraph, but whose results were falsely reported as failing, been reinstated? If not, why not?

4) What action is to be taken in the case of any applicants who failed the polygraph, but whose results were reported by Mr. Ortiz as passing, and who have since been hired by the LAPD?

5) What is to be done regarding any currently serving officers who were granted or denied assignment to the Narcotics, Organized Crime and Vice, or Anti-Terrorist Divisions based on falsified polygraph reports?

6) What action has been taken to identify any other instances of improprer reporting of polygraph results (that is, those not included in the six-month audit that Terry Carter conducted)? If no such action has yet been taken, will you insure [sic] that it is?

7) Was there really an urgent need for Terry Carter's transfer to the Supply Section, or was this a case of retaliation against a whistleblower?

Sincerely,

George W. Maschke
AntiPolygraph.org
[/font]

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #19 - Apr 17th, 2004 at 7:03pm
My goodness -- looks like I stopped by just when things are heating up...

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box I-Smell-BS

Reply #20 - Apr 17th, 2004 at 8:27pm
George, your letter should give the folks at LAPD a good laugh.  Get a life you puffed up self aggrandizing little prig!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Canadian Crusader
Senior User

Reply #21 - Apr 17th, 2004 at 8:45pm
I smell BS,

What are you babbling about?  If these allegations are found to be substantiated why would you not want this story to come to light?  What have you got to hide?  Are you fearing an inquiry might jeopardize your job?

An LAPD polygrapher altering results so that certain applicants can or can not get hired?  An LAPD polygrapher forging signatures?  How many applicants have been wrongly labelled deceptive by this man?  How many applicants with questionable pasts have been hired based on this fraudulant persons dealings?

This is appaling but not near surprizing considering some of the posts and tones from polygraphers on this board and the manner in which the polygraph is administered and performed.

I hate to say it but as the polygraph has yet to prove any scientific validity and is used soley as a prop, I would venture to say this sort of manipulation and altering of results runs rampant throughout police forces in the United States and Canada wide.
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2004 at 9:49pm by Canadian Crusader »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Guest

Reply #22 - Apr 17th, 2004 at 10:04pm
I will have to agree with I-Smell-BS.  George's letter is a bit pretentious.  And George does tend to insert himself into situations where he really has no standing, and no real authority to speak.  After all, how much credibility does he get out of the fact that he has failed two polygraph exams?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymouse

Reply #23 - Apr 17th, 2004 at 10:52pm
Quote:
I will have to agree with I-Smell-BS.  George's letter is a bit pretentious.  And George does tend to insert himself into situations where he really has no standing, and no real authority to speak.  After all, how much credibility does he get out of the fact that he has failed two polygraph exams?

Hmmmm.... good question.... 

How much credibility does a forging, lying freakshow like Roy Ortiz have? 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #24 - Apr 18th, 2004 at 12:42am
Quote:
 After all, how much credibility does he get out of the fact that he has failed two polygraph exams?

Uh-oh, we've got a moron here.   

Here, I'll break it down for you.......

Polygraph---pseudo-scientific hogwash---NOT CREDIBLE.

"Failing" two pseudo-scientific polygraph exams---IRRELEVANT.

George---CREDIBLE.   

Does that clear it up for you?   

Have a nice day.

Kona

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Reply #25 - Apr 18th, 2004 at 5:37am
Kona, I guess that means you don't think George is a "puffed up self aggrandizing little prig" either huh?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #26 - Apr 18th, 2004 at 9:50am
Quote:
I will have to agree with I-Smell-BS.  George's letter is a bit pretentious.  And George does tend to insert himself into situations where he really has no standing, and no real authority to speak.  After all, how much credibility does he get out of the fact that he has failed two polygraph exams?

Guest,

Could you explain precisely what "standing" or "authority" you believe a citizen of the United States needs to report allegations of official corruption?

I would argue that anyone with knowledge of such alleged conduct has the right, and indeed perhaps a civic responsibility, to report it.

The fact that I "failed" two polygraph screening examinations -- a procedure that the National Academy of Sciences confirms has no scientific basis -- has no bearing on my credibility and is without relevance to the matter at hand. Moreover, the information that I have reported to Chief Bratton (and others cc'd) is not my own, but rather that which has been reported to AntiPolygraph.org. Or perhaps you think I've made it all up?

The allegations that have been brought against Mr. Ortiz and those in his chain of command are quite specific, and it should be a relatively simple matter for those with oversight authority to ascertain whether or not they are true.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

California Public Records Act Request
Reply #27 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 12:42pm
Today, I e-mailed the following California Public Record Act request to LAPD Public Information Director Mary E. Grady <gradym@lapd.lapdonline.org>:

Quote:
[font=Georgia,Bookman,Times]Dear Ms. Grady:

This is a request under the California Public Records Act (California Government Code §§6250-6258). I request that copies of the following documentation be provided to me:

An audit prepared by LAPD employee Terry Carter in 2003 comparing reports sent by the Scientific Investigation Unit's Polygraph Unit to the Personnel Division's Administrative Investigation Section (AIS), commonly referred to as "Backgrounds," during a six-month period, and any associated documentation.

It has been reported to AntiPolygraph.org that this audit revealed that in "dozens" of instances, reports sent by the Polygraph Unit Supervisor to Backgrounds differed from those on file with the Polygraph Unit. (See the AntiPolygraph.org message board discussion thread LAPD Polygraph Cover-up? for additional details.)

I understand that the documentation I have requested may contain personal information regarding those who submitted to polygraph examinations during the audit period, and I do not object to the redaction of such identifying information as names, social security, or driver license numbers. However, if the audit includes polygraph subjects' dates of birth, I request that such information not be redacted, as it may help individuals to determine whether their polygraph reports were among those allegedly falsified. I also request that any data regarding the sex of those polygraphed not be redacted, because it has been suggested that the alleged irregularities disproportionately affected female examinees.

Please mail the requested documentation to me at:

Hart Nibbrigkade 22
2597 XV The Hague
The Netherlands

or fax it to me at AntiPolygraph.org's fax number, 1-206-666-4271.

I am willing to pay copy costs arising from this request up to $25.00 consistent with CGC §6257. Please notify me if copy costs will exceed this amount.

In accordance with CGC §6256, I request a determination on this request within 10 days of your receipt of it.

Sincerely,

George W. Maschke
AntiPolygraph.org
[/font]

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Administrator
Administrator

Reply #28 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 4:45pm
This question is directed to the person(s) who contacted AntiPolygraph.org regarding the falsification of polygraph reports: do you have the names and contact information of any individuals whose polygraph results were falsely reported to Backgrounds as "deception indicated?" If so, if you would privately provide this information to AntiPolygraph.org, we will alert such individuals to this situation so that they may initiate appropriate administrative and/or legal action.

AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box I-Smell-BS

Reply #29 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 7:55pm
You have heard of the Drudge Report.  George's site should be called the Grudge Report.  Wink  Breaking News.....  "I got my feelings hurt and now I hate all those mean old polygraph guys"  stay tuned for details of my terrible ordeal...... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
LAPD Polygraph Cover-up?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X