Normal Topic Countermeasures -- can you try too hard? (Read 2476 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EJ Walker

Countermeasures -- can you try too hard?
Apr 5th, 2004 at 7:08pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm wondering if one can try too hard to produce a response, when trying CMs. For example, when using a CM should you just "lightly" squeeze or bite your tongue? Or should you bite the hell out of the thing, hoping to get a high response on the machine? 

I'm wondering if too high of a response indicates that CMs are being used, and that a lighter bite or squeeze may produce a better, more realistic result. 

Any ideas?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Countermeasures -- can you try too hard?
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 8:30pm
It is certainly possible that a polygrapher might suspect countermeasures if reactions to "control" questions appear to be unusually strong.

In The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, we suggest using pronounced but submaximal effort if the anal sphincter contraction is chosen, and if tongue-biting is chosen, that it be done hard enough to produce moderate pain.

Another alternative (and perhaps a better one) would be to choose mental countermeasures.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EJ Walker

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2004 at 7:34am
George, thanks for the input. I did read most of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, but I don't remember coming accross mental countermeasures. How do those work, and I guess you guys have seen that they work as good (or better) than physical countermeasures?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2004 at 10:29am
Mental countermeasures are discussed in Chapter 4 (at pp. 149-50 of the 3rd edition). The available research suggests that mental countermeasures are as effective as tongue biting. Mental countermeasures have the added advantage of being in principle the most difficult to attempt to detect.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2004 at 9:20pm
Quote:
Mental countermeasures are discussed in Chapter 4 (at pp. 149-50 of the 3rd edition). The available research suggests that mental countermeasures are as effective as tongue biting. Mental countermeasures have the added advantage of being in principle the most difficult to attempt to detect.

George:  What is the "available research" you speak of here.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2004 at 9:49pm
guest,

My reference is to a peer-reviewed study by Charles R. Honts, David C. Raskin, and John C. Kircher: "Mental and Physical Countermeasures Reduce the Accuracy of Polygraph Tests," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 79 (1994), No. 2, pp. 252-59. The abstract is included in the bibliography of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Countermeasures -- can you try too hard?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X