Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Do some techniques work better than others? (Read 8794 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box A-mused

Re: Do some techniques work better than others?
Reply #15 - Mar 13th, 2004 at 10:15pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
jconleymo wrote on Mar 12th, 2004 at 2:52am:
It really disturbs me that you want to be a police officer, a position of integrity and responsibility and yet here you are asking for help on cheating and lying to get the job.  What would you do to convict a suspect?  I can understand wanting something so bad, yet is this really the way to start off trying to get it, maybe it would be better to try a dept or agency that did not do the polygraph for applicants then after you prove your integrity and responsibility, you could advance to a diferent postion somewhere else.  Just a thought.  

I see that none of the 20 Anonymous posters, George, or anyone else has spoken to the issue raised in this post.  No integrity here is there George & Company?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #16 - Mar 13th, 2004 at 11:11pm
I'll have a go: there is more integrity in manipulating the charts during an unscientific interrogation such as a polygraph than in being paid a salary to lie to potential employee candidates. How's that, slappy?

Quote:

I see that none of the 20 Anonymous posters, George, or anyone else has spoken to the issue raised in this post.  No integrity here is there George & Company?

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box A-mused

Reply #17 - Mar 14th, 2004 at 3:08am
Quote:
I'll have a go: there is more integrity in manipulating the charts during an unscientific interrogation such as a polygraph than in being paid a salary to lie to potential employee candidates. How's that, slappy?

You know that's not the issue here.  The issue here is whether a person should lie about his/her background, ie thefts, drug use, and other criminal activity in order to get a job in LE.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

mRe: Do some techniques work better than others?
Reply #18 - Mar 14th, 2004 at 5:24am
A-mused,

Even as "George's Sycophant-in-Chief" I will respond to you that I absolutely disagree with lying or misrepresenting one's background in order to gain consideration for a job, law enforcement or not.  No, I did not respond to the original message that started this thread but I had my feelings as I read it.

I will also agree that the information available on this site (although and once again, information that is available via NUMEROUS other sources) provides the potential for various unsavories to find themselves falling into positions of authority (law enforcement and otherwise) and even back into society where they may not belong.  No doubt about it, we have a dilemma.

However, I am a-mused and a-mazed that a process, with this inherent weakness, is still being used despite the fact that it loses any effective ability to detect deception with each passing day.  Blame this site all you want, you know antipolygraph.org IS NOT the problem.  My personal concern is with the use of the polygraph in any type of screening environment, specifically for pre-employment purposes.  This practice needs to be stopped.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #19 - Mar 14th, 2004 at 10:55am
A-mused,

Each and every time a polygraph examinee lies during his polygraph exam, he is the second person to lie.  The first is the polygraph operator.  Be concerned about the first lie before you worry yourself with the second...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dre2142
New User

Reply #20 - Mar 14th, 2004 at 10:54pm
jconleymo wrote on Mar 12th, 2004 at 2:52am:
It really disturbs me that you want to be a police officer, a position of integrity and responsibility and yet here you are asking for help on cheating and lying to get the job.  What would you do to convict a suspect?  I can understand wanting something so bad, yet is this really the way to start off trying to get it, maybe it would be better to try a dept or agency that did not do the polygraph for applicants then after you prove your integrity and responsibility, you could advance to a diferent postion somewhere else.  Just a thought.  

When it gets to the point that you are being totally honest, yet still fail the test, there are steps that one has to take. 
If you want to talk about integrity, honesty, lets talk about the examiners themselves. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Curious?

Reply #21 - Mar 16th, 2004 at 7:49am
Excuse me, but is anyone planning on answering the question from which this thread was started?

IP Logged

Do some techniques work better than others?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X