Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Do some techniques work better than others? (Read 8793 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Curious Bystander

Do some techniques work better than others?
Mar 11th, 2004 at 11:55am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello all,

I have read LBTLD and been frequenting the site but this is my first post.

For those who have taken a polygraph exam, used CMs and passed (or failed), what CMs did you use? I understand that there are a variety of ways to apply CMs but do some work better than others? Are there certain CMs that have been proven to be more/less effective over others (sphinkter pucker vs. tongue bite or math problems)?

I read that the body will react to polygraph questions in a variety of ways but are there reactions that are found to be more common in people?  Do most people react in a similar manner when being questioned and if so what do they do (ie increased speed of breathing or slower breathing)?

I guess what I'm also asking is if anybody has had a chance to practice taking polygraph examinations without it actually having any importance to a job application or otherwise and be able to pick out what CMs might have worked better than others.

The reason I ask is because I am applying to become a police officer and anticipating a polygraph.  Although I have changed dramatically since my youth (16-18 and am 30 now), I feel complete truthfulness about my past experiences might disqualify me before I get a chance to take a polygraph.  Because of this, I know I'll have a better chance using CMs and have decided to apply them when my test comes. I plan to practice the exact same CMs in preparation but would like to practice the more successful methods if there is such a thing.

Thanks for any information and insight.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jconleymo
New User

Re: Do some techniques work better than others?
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2004 at 2:52am
It really disturbs me that you want to be a police officer, a position of integrity and responsibility and yet here you are asking for help on cheating and lying to get the job.  What would you do to convict a suspect?  I can understand wanting something so bad, yet is this really the way to start off trying to get it, maybe it would be better to try a dept or agency that did not do the polygraph for applicants then after you prove your integrity and responsibility, you could advance to a diferent postion somewhere else.  Just a thought.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2004 at 8:29am
It really disturbs me that anyone thinks the polygraph actually works.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Curious Bystander

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2004 at 12:14pm
Thanks for your personal opinion jconleymo but I’m not here to justify my integrity to you.  I’m a professional in my current field which requires a great deal of integrity, responsibility and respect.  To be honest I’m not concerned about how you feel about my ambitions either. I guess it’s my fault for posting my inentions and I apologize for that.

My questions still stand though.  Are there common reactions that most people experience during an examination?  Are there CM methods that have been proven to be more effective over others?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fletch
New User

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2004 at 5:58pm
Dear all:

Has anyone noticed that the postings for “where is the integrity” are very similar to that of “jconolymo”? In fact, looking a where is the integrity’s latest post under FBI Polygraph Experience, his/her e-mail is listed as ‘jconleymo@earthlink.net.’ Any coincidence here?

Fletch.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box where is the integrity

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2004 at 7:41pm
Duh, I am the same person.  And as you might also note I have issues w/ somebody trying to justify lying to get a job that should have a high degree of integrity and high standards of honesty.  I am not trying to hide who I am.  I am proud of who I am and what I believe in and stand for.  Thank you.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2004 at 11:04pm
Where is the Integrity,

I don't really care if you or anybody else posts anonymously--most posters do, but to post under two different names and then to state that you are not trying to hide who you are, at the very least, borders on the incredulous.  Where's the integrity?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box where is the integrity

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2004 at 11:25pm
I did not intentionally post under the "where is the integrity" id the first time.  It was a response to a post and I did not log in so I chose this id.  Each post by me has the same email address and if that is confusing to somebody, I can see why they might have trouble w/ a lie detector test.  I am not going to argue w/ you any further on such a pettty and childish issue though.  If you would like to have a converstaion on the real issue as opposed to my shortcomings on posting etiquette I would be interested in that.  I find it interesting that when somebody is criticized they start attacking anything they can find instead of looking  at their own actions.  I am curious to find out what happens next, will people want to talk about integrity or attack the person that brought integrity to the table. Please dont send any corrections on misspelling or grammer.  I am not writting this for a grade.
Thank you,
John Conley
jconleymo@earthlink.net
aka:  where is the integrity

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2004 at 11:39pm
Quote:
I did not intentionally post under the "where is the integrity" id the first time.  It was a response to a post and I did not log in so I chose this id.  Each post by me has the same email address and if that is confusing to somebody, I can see why they might have trouble w/ a lie detector test.  I am not going to argue w/ you any further on such a pettty and childish issue though.  If you would like to have a converstaion on the real issue as opposed to my shortcomings on posting etiquette I would be interested in that.  I find it interesting that when somebody is criticized they start attacking anything they can find instead of looking  at their own actions.  I am curious to find out what happens next, will people want to talk about integrity or attack the person that brought integrity to the table. Please dont send any corrections on misspelling or grammer.  I am not writting this for a grade.
Thank you,
John Conley
jconleymo@earthlink.net
aka:  where is the integrity

John, don't worry about Anonymous.  He has always been an asshole and he has never answered a question when it concerns the integrity, (or lack thereof) of George or anyone else on this site simply because niether George nor Anonymous, (George's Sycophant-in-Chief) have any. 

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2004 at 1:22am
John,

Ok... to the substance of things then...who is worse or more blameworthy...the polygraph examiner who lies each and every time he/she administers an exam (look at the DoDPI Law Enforcement Pre-Employment Polygraph document (see the antipolygraph.org home page for the link) if you doubt the truth of this assertion) or the innocent examinee who utilizes countermeasures and lies about his knowledge of same in an effort to protect him/herself from the harm caused by a completeless worthless and non-valid "test"?

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Mar 13th, 2004 at 1:43am
Quote:
John,

in an effort to protect him/herself from the harm caused by a completeless worthless and non-valid "test"?

OK Annie, you hold yourself up as the Mr Grammer of this site.  What in the hell is this lexical abortion supposed to mean?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jconleymo
New User

Reply #11 - Mar 13th, 2004 at 1:45am
Anonymous,  this is part of the problem.  You are trying to take two issuse and make them one to justify something that is not right.  The issue is not who is worse, it is about integrity.   The issue is the integrity of the person that is lying and cheating to pass an exam to enter a profession where honesty, integrity, and standards are of utmost importance.    The issue of the lie detector person or test is moot here, whatever your feelings on that subject.  I am talking about a person that feels any means necessary to obtain that type of position are ok.  People have cited cases of incidnets where somebody has passed many test and gone on to be a very bad person and dangerous but were not weeded out by the polygraph and its possible they used some of the counter measures offered from this site.  Do you think they ever told anybody that they were a bad person or that they never did anything wrong.  They most proably did claim innocence at many times during their life, did that make them innnocent?  So what does that say about the person that claims they are innocent but they have to lie and cheat to pass the polygraph so they can get to a position that in its essence is all about intetrigty and honesty?  It says to me that that person believes they are more important than the job they are applying for and that if they ever hit a stumbling block they will look at whatever means necesary to surpass it wether it be legal or not.  I do not want that type of person protecting me or accusing me of something.  That is scary and should make everybody uncomfortable.  The issue of the polygraph is seperate from this issue.  If you want to fight the validity and use of the polygraph do so, but don;t do so by means that stain the standards of that profession.  There are enough issues out there already that give professional law enforcement officials a bad reputation. 

John Conley
jconleymo@earthlink.net
aka:  where is the integrity

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Mar 13th, 2004 at 1:59am
John,

I am sorry to disagree with you and although in a more perfect world i would likely agree with you, for the one in which we exist in, these applicants have a right to both self-defense (a concept you have ignored so far) and due process.  When denied fair play and jeopardized in the process, these examinees have a right to do that which is necessary to protect themselves from the random error and serious harm caused by this non-valid instrument.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Mar 13th, 2004 at 3:40am
Quote:
John,

I am sorry to disagree with you and although in a more perfect world i would likely agree with you, for the one in which we exist in, these applicants have a right to both self-defense (a concept you have ignored so far) and due process.  When denied fair play and jeopardized in the process, these examinees have a right to do that which is necessary to protect themselves from the random error and serious harm caused by this non-valid instrument.

Annie, I have never seen such a poorly constucted, convoluted, pair of complex sentences in my life.  As one who continually criticizes other people's "diction" you should be ashamed. ??? Roll Eyes Tongue

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2004 at 7:47am
Guest,

How many times do I have to explain this one to you?  THERE ARE ABOUT 20 PEOPLE HERE WHO ALL POST USING THE NAME 'ANONYMOUS.'

It amazes me that you still respond to anyone posting with that name as if it is always the same person (e.g. 'John, don't worry about Anonymous.  He has always been an asshole and he has never answered a question when it concerns the integrity').  How do you even know if I am a 'he'?

Yes, I am the person that posted the definition of 'diction.'  I'm also the person that debated with Twoblock quite awhile back regarding legal recourse, which seems to be the discussion that really cultured your severe hatred of all posters named 'Anonymous' (a discussion, which I might add, that you COMPLETELY pussied out of GUEST).

Surprise - I am not the same person that you've been describing in this thread.  Wake up, asshole.  There are also lots of people that post here under 'guest.'  You know how I tell it is always you (aside from the ridiculous usage of profanity)?  You ALWAYS use the email address guest@who.com.  Of course I know it isn't your real address.  But for the sake of identifying you on this message board, it might as well be.  You'll also notice that I always use the address anonymous@anonymous.com.  That's right GUEST, that isn't my real email address either.  You're catching on.   

Take the time to look at the details before you go and dish out the obscenity-filled insults GUEST-style.  I really hope you don't investigate for a living.

IP Logged

Do some techniques work better than others?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X