Normal Topic WA Bill Mandates Polygraph for Police Applicants (Read 7096 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

WA Bill Mandates Polygraph for Police Applicants
Mar 4th, 2004 at 7:42am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
A bill making its way through the Washington state legislature would require all applicants for peace officer positions in the state to "to take and
successfully pass a psychological examination and a polygraph test or similar assessment procedure." In addition, applicants could be required to pay up to $400 for the polygraph examination!

The text and legislative history of House Bill 2422, which was recently approved by the Judiciary Committee, are available here:

http://www.leg.wa.gov/wsladm/billinfo1/dspBillSummary.cfm?billnumber=2322

If you live in Washington state, you can contact your representative to oppose this legislation. You can find contact information for your legislator using the following form:

http://www.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2004 at 4:47pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box willy
New User

Re: WA Bill Mandates Polygraph for Police Applican
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2004 at 4:18am
Where do you get $400 to do a pre-employment polygraph ???

Sign me up I want to become a polygraph examiner ??

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Billy J. Johnson

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2004 at 3:04am
This is great news.  I have contacted my representatives and have encuraged them to vote for this new bill.  Polygraph works and does a great job getting rid of those that would harm us.  If they can not pass a polygraph examination they should not be in law enforcement. Cheesy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box gate1999keeper
New User

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2004 at 4:28pm
Sad[color=Purple][/color]

Should we require all polititians and attorneys and judges to take this exam as well and pay us $400 every time they are caught in a fib or indiscretion?

In effect, a polygraph exam could be certifying liars as being truthful liars.  Card Blanche.   

OH MY GOD.  What next?

Since the general public is now aware that polygraph tests are manipulation tools to screen out undesirables.........
this makes me think it should be used only on dead people..........
not public officers charged with serving and protecting John Q. Public.

I think giving each applicant a labotomy would be a better idea.

LET US PRAY.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2004 at 4:47pm
If the job of those who enforce the law is so important as to require pre-employment polygraph screening, then surely the same should be demanded of the legislators who make the law. But there is a double standard. Polygraphs are for the ruled, not the rulers.

Fortunately, the Washington bill seems to have made no progress in the state senate.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box willy
New User

Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2005 at 9:17am
Smiley
George, 

It took a while but this bill passed..

It is my opinion that there are times when a poly is a good thing. When one is applying for a job in LE, departments are looking for people that can be trusted. If one has to lie about their past then maybe they are looking for a job in the wrong field. We all make mistakes but we need to admit to those mistakes and be honest about what we have done wrong. I worked for a department where you were forgiven for wrong doing as long as you were honest. One would not get away scott free but honesty was rewarded simply by the fact that you were allowed to keep your job. A polygraph is not perfect but it a tool that can help in evaluating if one is truthful. Should it be the only tool used..probably not..a good background investigation in very important and all the information should be evaluated fairly. Do people get burned because investigations are not done the way they should be..probably yes. Is there another tool that can be used..something like brainscanning or the vocal testing..yes ..but are they proven and as cost effective as polygraphs..no, not at this time..would departments use them if they were..of course..this world is not perfect and right now a polygraph is a tool that can be used to try and help weed out applicants that are not suitable for LE jobs..it is not for a LE departments benefit because in this day and age every department is short of good people..do bad people get hired by faking their way through..I am sure they do..and who suffers..Joe public because we have the wrong people in positions of authority and the wrong people carying guns..What I would like to see you do is support good people who may have failed a poly because they were not given a way to explain or understand what caused them to fail not trying to help the wrong caliber person finding a way to get through the screening process.
There are a lot of good examiners out there ..ones who are willing to help people understand their test and help them figure out why they may had had negative responses..but at the same time there are those who are out to make a quick $ and do not care why their test subject had the responses they did. Those are things that need to be worked on in the polygraph field.

I am sorry for what happened to you..I can understand why you feel the way you do about polygraph's, I probably would feel the same if I was in your shoes, but finding or telling people how to "beat the sytem" is, in my opinion  (oop's there I go again with my opinions)..not a way to fix the situation.

I look forward to your response..

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2005 at 11:59am
Willy,

For reasons I have explained at length elsewhere, I believe it is both morally wrong and bad public policy for government agencies to make hiring decisions on the basis of such quackery as polygraphy.

AntiPolygraph.org will continue to shine a spotlight on this pseudoscientific fraud, including information on how to pass or beat the polygraph.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2005 at 3:39pm
willy wrote on Jul 24th, 2005 at 9:17am:
I am sorry for what happened to you..I can understand why you feel the way you do about polygraph's, I probably would feel the same if I was in your shoes, but finding or telling people how to "beat the sytem" is, in my opinion  (oop's there I go again with my opinions)..not a way to fix the situation.

I look forward to your response..

I would have to suggest, as I have before, that any “test” which can be “beaten” after visiting a web site which contains instructions on how to alter your breathing patter is not a “test” upon which any person, business, or law enforcement agency should put any faith in.

If “Anti-Inotixilyzer.com” was a site on the web, and it told people who had been arrested for drunk driving to do math equations in their head or step on a tack concealed in their shoe while they blew into the machine, such a site wouldn’t bother me at all.  If doing either of those things caused a drunk person to blow a .00 on the machine it would make me doubt the validity of the test; it certainly wouldn’t make me upset with the person who told them to do it.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

WA Bill Mandates Polygraph for Police Applicants

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X