Normal Topic accused of a theft, need help! (Read 4329 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pappasmurf
New User

accused of a theft, need help!
Mar 1st, 2004 at 9:28am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I was accused of a theft so i am going to take a polygraph test, but im really nervous.  I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a few details.  I am getting polygraphed by a police man.  What for control questions do you think will be asked and what relevent?  I also would like to know which method i should use, changing my breathing patterns, doing math in your head, constricting your anal muscle, or biting down on your tongue, which would work best for a situation like this.  Also, if they use probable lie controls questions or deceptive and what kind of relevant questions you think they might use in this case.  And could someone explain a time when you went through the same thing i am going through.  I read "the lie behind the lie detecter". Thanks for any help!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Re: accused of a theft, need help!
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2004 at 3:34pm
Without revealing information that would positively identify you to your polygrapher, can you answer:

-Who accused you (employer, or the police)?
-Who's idea was it to take a polygraph?
-Why are you submitting to that process?

You have every reason to be nervous-- in the absence of countermeasures, the polygraph charts are no better than a coin toss in terms of accuracy. That statistic can be easily prejudiced against you if your polygraph interrogator suspects you.

It is NEVER wise to submit to a polygraph interrogation, regardless of the circumstances. Essentially you're waving your Fifth Amendment rights and agreeing to an open-ended interrogation by The State in which any admissions may be used against you-- and even innocuous statements may be twisted and reshaped to appear damaging. Don't do it my friend!

pappasmurf wrote on Mar 1st, 2004 at 9:28am:
I was accused of a theft so i am going to take a polygraph test, but im really nervous.  I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a few details.  I am getting polygraphed by a police man.  What for control questions do you think will be asked and what relevent?  I also would like to know which method i should use, changing my breathing patterns, doing math in your head, constricting your anal muscle, or biting down on your tongue, which would work best for a situation like this.  Also, if they use probable lie controls questions or deceptive and what kind of relevant questions you think they might use in this case.  And could someone explain a time when you went through the same thing i am going through.  I read "the lie behind the lie detecter". Thanks for any help!

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2004 at 9:12pm
You need a lawyer, not countermeasures.  Don't ever volunteer to take a polygraph.  It can only work against you.  If you flunk, you're a thief, if you pass, it doesn't prove that you're innocent.

Don't do it.

Kona

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pappasmurf
New User

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 8:28am
well im kinda screwed, if i dont take it i will get probation, fine, and restitution, if i take it and pass my lawyer said they will drop it instantly.  the disctrict madjistrate(or however you spell it) is the one in charge of this case right now and if i pass the test its dropped and im wiped clean. so what do i do?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 6:32pm
pappasmurf wrote on Mar 2nd, 2004 at 8:28am:
well im kinda screwed, if i dont take it i will get probation, fine, and restitution, if i take it and pass my lawyer said they will drop it instantly.  the disctrict madjistrate(or however you spell it) is the one in charge of this case right now and if i pass the test its dropped and im wiped clean. so what do i do?

You are entitled to a trial first unless you have pled guilty or the equivalent.

BTW, CNN had a segment on yesterday about a possibly high number of psychologically coerced confessions. They are rec'ing all confessions be taped. Explain your situation please. Did you already plead?

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 11:13pm
Smurf,

Are you in the United States?  If you are, then you are not required to submit to a polygraph to "get you off the hook."  Everyone in this country is innocent until PROVEN guilty in a court of law.   

I'm not really sure I understand your entire situation.  Have you entered into some kind of plea agreement?  You mentioned that if you take the poly and pass, everything will be dropped.  If you don't, then you will receive probation, fine, and restitution?  This makes no sense at all.  This means that the judge is basing his decision of innocence or guilt based solely on the results of the poly???  You're not telling us everything.  More details please.

Kona

IP Logged

accused of a theft, need help!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X