Normal Topic Should I Take The Polygraph? (Read 8515 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dirk Diggler

Should I Take The Polygraph?
Feb 22nd, 2004 at 11:07am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi, I'm new to the site and lately I have been quite concerned about the new job I am transferring to within the next 7 to 8 days.  I am going to be working for a MAJOR Department of Defense contractor requiring a special access security clearance.  The contract that I signed (....my life away that is hehe) specifies that a polygraph may or may not be administered, although the human resources contact said a polygraph would most likely be administered.   

On page 121 (Chapter 4) of Lies Behind the Lie Detector, it states that FBI applicants should seriously decline submitting to a polygraph because failing can adversely affect your chances of obtaining employment with other law enforcement agencies, obtaining future security clearances, etc.   

1) So if I were to submit to the polygraph and failed, would I be blacklisted as well and be unable to find employment within DOD contract opportunities again?

2) Even though I signed in agreement to the polygraph, what will happen if I decline to take the polygraph?   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Should I Take The Polygraph?
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2004 at 11:39am
Dirk,

I don't know to what extent failing a DoD polygraph might adversely affect future DoD contract opportunities, but declining the polygraph would preclude you from receiving clearance for the Special Access Program that your new job requires.

Note, however, that the DoD counterintelligence-scope polygraph program failure rate is very low. It seems that although many may be initially told they had "problems" with a question and be asked for an explanation, ultimately the only ones who "fail" are those who make "substantive" admissions. See the subchapter on the DoD Polygraph Program at pp. 57-59 of the 3rd edition of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector and also the discussion thread, How to Pass the DoD CI-Scope Polygraph.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2004 at 9:27pm
Quote:
Dirk,

I don't know.....

George, you should make this statement more often.  It is the only thing you have ever said about the polygraph thing that is certain.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymous

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2004 at 10:13pm
First of all, are you going to be taking a full-scope, or
CI poly ?  If you don't get through the poly, or are
denied the Special Access through adjudication, you 
will be put into a database and banned fron all
intelligence work, even at the unclassified level.  If
you already have a DoD clearance, a rejection is
sent back to DSS and they will reevaluate your
clearance.  If you don't already have a DoD clearance,
it will be much more difficult to get one.  I bet nobody
told you about this.  Either way, the poly is BS, and
you will be staking your career on it, every five years.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dirk Diggler

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2004 at 10:41pm
Well our customer is going to be the NRO (National Reconnaissance Organization).  Shouldn't they follow the same polygraph guidelines as the DOD.  I think so.  Some topics my polygraph contract include are National Security, Personal habits/lifestyle, Use of Illegal Drugs, Involvement in Law Violations, etc.

Although my background is squeaky clean, my main concern about taking the polygraph is the use and sale of illegal drugs and involvement in law violations.  I sold small amounts and experimented with various drugs in the past.  Marijuana as recently as new year's.  I have committed fraud once or twice but have never been caught for these instances.  How will the fact that I have committed these acts affect my polygraph?    

I was thinking i can say yes to these relevant questions and admit to them to a small degree.  With fraud, for example, I can say that i forged my father's signature in elementary when i needed proof to show him a bad grade on a report card.   

For those that do not know me.  Don't be quick to judge me and say that i am not fit for a job like this.  i love my country and believe what I am doing is making a big difference for American citizens.  I believe in my job and put the objectives of the US govt and it's American citizens well before me.  I would in no way, shape or form commit to fraud or espionage against my country.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box slam818
New User

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2004 at 11:09pm
George,

Can u clarify on what u mean by "substantive" admissions?  The way i interpret it is that the examinees admitted and gave out more harmful information to the examiner that he wanted/needed.

Anonymous,

The polygraph contract does state that if the govt does not grant such access, the company shall have no further obligation to me but at it's own discretion consider me for other positions in the company not requiring such access.   

I dunno, what's the difference with full scope and CI?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2004 at 11:36pm
Quote:
Well our customer is going to be the NRO (National Reconnaissance Organization).  Shouldn't they follow the same polygraph guidelines as the DOD.  I think so.  Some topics my polygraph contract include are National Security, Personal habits/lifestyle, Use of Illegal Drugs, Involvement in Law Violations, etc.

Although my background is squeaky clean, ....  I have committed fraud once or twice but have never been caught for these instances.  How will the fact that I have committed these acts affect my polygraph?  

"Squeaky Clean?"   Roll Eyes

Was your "fraud" once or twice, or perhaps thrice. Sorry but My CC was ripped for about 6 G's not long ago so I'm not real sympathetic. Of course it's hard to get a job today what with Enron's demise.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2004 at 11:46pm
Well, gee golly, my background is squeaky clean too, except for the face plant I did. Can I have a second chance? Not in this lifetime. "Don't be quick to judge me and say that i am not fit for a job like this.  i [sic] love my country and believe what I am doing is making a big difference for American citizens." How about when you get hired, you contact me and help me get hired, because in the big scheme of things, I'm squeaky clean too. I'll trade you my sex offense for your drug usage and other crimes. Hell, at least I'm honest.

IP Logged

Should I Take The Polygraph?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X