Normal Topic A Public Challenge to Jack L. Ogilvie (Read 6699 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

A Public Challenge to Jack L. Ogilvie
Feb 10th, 2004 at 9:48am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
On 10 February 2004, I sent the following  e-mail to polygrapher Jack L. Ogilvie of the Phoenix Police Department at j_ogilvie@hotmail.com:

Dear Mr. Ogilvie:

In a reply to an inquiry posted to the PolygraphPlace.com message board regarding whether a polygraph test can be beaten, you write, among other things:

Quote:
Just for the record, I will tell you that the chances of beating a Polygraph given by a competent professional examiner with all the information, is slim and none. A person who is trying to beat a test might be able to produce charts that are hard to read but a competent examiner will no [sic] something is going on.

As you are no doubt aware, however, there are no book chapters or articles in the polygraph literature explaining how a polygraph operator can reliably detect the kinds of countermeasures described in AntiPolygraph.org's free e-book, The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, and no polygrapher has ever demonstrated any ability to detect such countermeasures. Moreover, the available peer-reviewed research suggests that even experienced polygraphers cannot detect such countermeasures. And in its recent report, The Polygraph and Lie Detection, the National Academy of Sciences concluded (at p. 214) that "the evidence does not provide confidence that polygraph accuracy is robust against potential countermeasures."

This being the case, I challenge you to publicly support your publicly made claim that "the chances of beating a Polygraph given by a competent professional examiner with all the information, is slim and none." On what basis do you make this claim? Why should anyone believe you instead of the National Academy of Sciences?

If you genuinely believe what you wrote, and if you consider yourself to be "a competent examiner with all the information," then why not accept Dr. Drew C. Richardson's polygraph countermeasure challenge? Before turning down this challenge with the excuse that you cannot reveal your methodology, note that this challenge does not require that you disclose how you detect countermeasures, merely that you demonstrate your ability to detect them. This challenge has thus far gone 743 days without takers. Are you willing to be the first?

Sincerely,

George W. Maschke
AntiPolygraph.org

PS: This public challenge in response to your publicly made claim will be posted on the AntiPolygraph.org message board. You are welcome to reply there.

--

A photograph of Mr. Ogilvie is available on PolygraphPlace.com here:

http://www.polygraphplace.com/images/aappjacko.jpg
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2004 at 10:05am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Re: A Public Challenge to Jack L. Ogilvie
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2004 at 6:50am
George,

There is no way in hell that Ogilvie or any other polygraph examiner out there is going to accept Dr. Richardson's countermeasure challenge.  Better to live in denial and make claims that you can't or won't back up, than face public humiliation and career suicide.  What examiner in the polygraph community wants to be known forever as the guy that "made us look bad, and ruined our reputation?"   

Thanks for issuing the challenge to Mr. Ogilvie George, unfortunately it's just not gonna happen.

Kona

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Roman

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2004 at 8:10pm
Kona, I agree 110%.  I couldn't have said it better myself.  The number of people who are privy to the perjury of polygraph testing, is growing by the day.  It's only a matter of time until it becomes a thing of the past.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2004 at 9:13am
I note that more than a month has passed since I challenged Jack Ogilvie of the Phoenix Police Department to publicly support his publicly made claim that "the chances of beating a Polygraph given by a competent professional examiner with all the information, is slim and none."

Mr. Ogilivie has not responded here, nor have I received any response to the e-mail I sent him notifiying him of this challenge.

Sad

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

A Public Challenge to Jack L. Ogilvie

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X