Normal Topic TS/SCI (Read 5822 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Vera
New User

TS/SCI
Feb 7th, 2004 at 5:16am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have an active secret clearance and must upgrade to top secret SCI for a new assignment within the Army (I'm a civilian).
Do they administer drug tests as part of SCI?  I have recently smoked pot and have no trouble admitting to it but don't want to divulge the story if a urinalysis isn't a part of the process.
Any comments from experienced forum users will be appreciated.
  Good luck

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Re: TS/SCI
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2004 at 6:21am
Define "recently."   

When I was in the military, there was no way in hell you would ever be granted a TS/SCI clearance if you admitted to smoking pot "recently" (last 7 years).   

In fact, as a DOD civilian holding a sensitive position that requires a TS/SCI clearance, I would think that you may be required to submit to random urinalysis testing.  Bottom line, if you ever pop positive on a random urinalysis in your new job, or admit to smoking dope last week with your friends, you can kiss that Top Secret clearance goodbye.  Actually, I believe you would be kissing your job adios also.

Anyone else out there know if I'm way off base?   

Kona

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2004 at 4:39pm
Kona -

Thank you for the reply.  My indiscretion occured within the last month but truly is an isolated incident.  I fully disclosed trouble with the law and drug use in my youth when applying for basic clearance 9 years ago.  I have been upgraded to secret but never asked to submit any samples.
This new assignment was offered to me this week.  I never would have gotten high if I was expecting to change assignments.   
My performance and character are considered outstanding - otherwise, the position would not have been offered. 
Should I expect urinalysis as part of the exam?
Is there a set procedure and timeline for TS/SCI process?   
Is there an authority (other than those on this site!) on these matters that I can contact directly?
Thank you and Cheers -
  Vera

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2004 at 11:10pm
Vera,

When I had to go through the process of applying for a TS/SCI clearance, there was no polygraph, and no urinalysis.  I did have to fill out an SF-86 form (which is basically a personal history statement), and be interviewed by a Defense Investigative Service Agent.  The SF-86 is very long, and covers just about everything in your life (family, friends, foreign travel, foreign friends, finances, jobs, drug use, etc).  The process is long, and can take up to a year to complete.  My clearance took about 9 months to be granted.   

One thing the Defense Investigative Service (DIS) does that most police departments don't is to actually go out in the field and conduct face to face interviews with people in your past.  I was amazed to find out that they interviewed military friends, family members, next door neighbors from my childhood years, and people I hadn't talked to in years.  In my opinion, this type of background investigation beats the hell out of any worthless polygraph session.   

If you want the most current info on the entire process, you should talk to your security manager where you work.  You should be able to ask what type of events would be disqualifying for a TS/SCI clearance, and what will be required of you during the process.

Good luck.

Kona

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Outraged Guest

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2004 at 6:39pm
Quoting Vera: "My indiscretion occured within the last month but truly is an isolated incident. . . I never would have gotten high if I was expecting to change assignments.   My performance and character are considered outstanding - otherwise, the position would not have been offered."

Vera, appatrently you think that it matters if a person breaks the law or regulations just once.  As you must know the Army does not make such a distinction, whether you are reserve or national guard.  You then qualify your "indescretion" by stating you wouldn't have done if you knew your character would actually be scrutinized.  If you truly don't have a problem revealing your drug use and you are simply asked about it without a urinalysis, then tell them.  Do you have the character others have "considered" you have?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 12:27am
Kona & Outraged -

Thank you for your replies.  I will talk to our security chief about requirements/procedures for this assignment.   
I'm aware that the TS/SCI takes about 6 months to complete and would prefer face-to-face investigations to polygraph.  This site has made me serously doubt the validity of polygraphs and I don't want my career path to be limited by one.
I'm strong enough to do the right thing but experienced enough to know that telling the absolute truth to strangers does not always serve the common good.
Consider me fully reformed.   

Thank you and good luck to all -
  Vera

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Outraged Guest

Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 1:48am
What "common" good are you refering to?  Be honest, your recent drug use has potentially disqualified you and you would rather lie to get the job.  If you choose not to be honest with your employer, which many here might suggest you do, then at least be honest with yourself.  Your "indescretion" is an example of your current character and should disqualify you.

IP Logged

TS/SCI

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X