Normal Topic Iraqi Fabricator Passed Polygraph (Read 12592 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Iraqi Fabricator Passed Polygraph
Feb 6th, 2004 at 10:35am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
False intelligence information provided by an Iraqi informant that Iraq possessed mobile biological warfare laboratories was believed in part because the source had passed a polygraph "test." The bogus information was used by the Bush Administration in making the case for war, and was cited by Secretary of State Colin Powell in a pre-war speech before the United Nations.

Jonathan S. Landay of the Knight Ritter Washington Bureau reports that the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) had doubts about the defector and had speculated that he may have been taught to beat the polygraph. These doubts were, however, ignored. See, "Intelligence officials warned that Iraq WMD information was iffy":

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/7886210.htm

And Los Angeles Times correspondents Bob Drogin and Greg Miller report that the bogus information was accepted at CIA in part because the source had "passed" the polygraph:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/iraq/la-fg-tenet6feb06,1,2071029.story?c...

This case seems to be yet another example of the tragic consequences of the intelligence community's misplaced faith in the pseudoscience of polygraphy.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lie Chazer

Re: Iraqi Fabricator Passed Polygraph
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2004 at 11:30am
George,

I wouldn't in the polygraph for "wrongly" accusing you of lying during your exams.  Fine...but this is just one more example of the absolute distain I have for you and your "mission" to condone, no even advocate the use of countermeasures (assuming that's how this guy "passed", since the article states he "duped" the polygraph).

The lives of 500+ Americans have died in this OEF in Iraq, possibly based on faulty intelligence from someone employing that very techniques you encourage....Sleep well George and you others "cheering" the use of countermeasures!!

Argue the poloygraph is not fool-proof...any Examiner will agree with you.  Argue that you had been wrongly found to be "lying".  But see for yourself the dangers and waste of life for your banner waving for countermeasures.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box bushido71
New User

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2004 at 11:48am
Lie Chazer, 

Your anger seems a bit misplaced and only reinforces the argument that nobody should be relying on the polygraph as a valid source of truth verification. 

The person you should really be upset at is the intelligence officer that decided this informant was telling the truth based on the results of a polygraph. You yourself admit that "any examiner will agree" that the poly is not foolproof. So then why would our government rely on the test results as the impetus for war? That borders on pure stupidity.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2004 at 11:09pm
Quote:
The lives of 500+ Americans have died in this OEF in Iraq, possibly based on faulty intelligence from someone employing that very techniques you encourage....Sleep well George and you others "cheering" the use of countermeasures!!

Lie Chazer,

You've got to be shitting me.  That has got to be one of the most inane, stupid, moronic, ignorant, idiotic statements that I have ever read here on antipolygraph. org.   

Let me see if I have this straight......the lives of 500+ brave American fighting men lost in Iraq are possibly George's responsibility because of countermeasures taught and encouraged in TLBTLD, that may have been employed by Iraqi POWs, that may have supplied "faulty intelligence?"  Is this the crux of your post?  I am at a loss for words, and that doesn't happen too often.   

Like Bushido said, your anger is misdirected.  Maybe you should be pissed off at our government's utter reliance and faith in this quackery as the holy grail for determining whether a person is telling the truth or not.

I think you owe George an apology.

Kona

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box meangino
User

Hey Lie Chazer
Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 1:11am
The comment at the end of your post confirms the polygraphers' worst fear--that widespread countermeasure use will render your pseudoscientific equipment obsolete. Grin

Get in line with other polygraphers and learn a new trade.  I understand there are openings in barber school. 8)

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2004 at 9:20pm
Bob Drogin and Greg Miller have written a follow-up article titled, "Iraqi Defector's Tales Bolstered U.S. Case for War"  that was publised in the Los Angeles Times on 28 March 2004. The article doesn't mention polygraphs, but adds context to pre-war intelligence on supposed Iraqi mobile bioweapons labs. Note that the defector who is the main subject of this article, an informant for Germany's Bundesnachrichtendienst [Federal Intelligence Service] (BND), is not the fabricator who fed bogus information to the DIA and passed a polygraph (who is also mentioned in the article):

http://www.latimes.com/la-fg-curveball28mar28,1,1470551,print.story

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Abraham

Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2004 at 9:44am
George:

I am interested in this reading.  Do you believe that the defector was using the types of countermeasures that you teach in your book or the advanced techniques taught by intelligence experts?  If you think they were the type that you teach, which ones do you think he could have used and what specific type of polygraph test would they have given him?  I am very interested if these questions concern the person's justification for what they are doing as opposed to what they may have specifically lied about?

Abe

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2004 at 11:23am
Abe,

I have no way of knowing (or even speculating) whether the fabricator employed polygraph countermeasures or not, let alone what sort of countermeasures. As for the specific type of polygraph "test" to which the fabricator would have most likely been subjected, I believe it to be some form of probable-lie "control" question "test."

What do you mean by "the advanced [countermeasure] techniques taught by intelligence experts?" I am not familiar with these.
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2004 at 1:46pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box I-SMELL-BS-2

Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2004 at 11:36pm
Quote:
Abe,

I have no way of knowing (or even speculating) 

Now, now, George why would you say that?  All you do is speculate.  After all you have never even tried any of the countermeasures you advise others to use.  And you have never passed a polygraph test - you have simply failed two of them.  All you know how to do is speculate.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2004 at 2:03am
ISBS,

It is true that I have never employed the polygraph countermeasures described in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector and that I "failed" two polygraph "tests" (even though I told the truth). Indeed, it was this experience of being falsely accused of deception that inspired me to educate myself about polygraphy.

The countermeasure information provided in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector is hardly "speculation." It's based on extensive research of the polygraph literature and is well-annotated with citations that skeptical readers may check for themselves.

The fact that we have made such information publicly available and free is obviously disturbing to you and others in the polygraph community. Paul Menges, who teaches the countermeasures course for polygraphers at DoDPI, has gone so far as to suggest that making such information available to the public should be outlawed. Obviously, he is more than a little concerned about that which you would have readers believe is nothing more than "speculation."

I might add here that the profanity-strewn posts you've been making on this message board, your constant resort to name calling and other ad hominem arguments instead of rational debate, and your general lack of civility toward others do not reflect well upon the polygraph "profession."
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2004 at 1:47pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box I-SMELL-BS-2

Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2004 at 3:30am
George, I just looked up Maschke.  It is defined as excessively elevated or ornate; having or exhibiting self-importance:  arrogant;  relating to or suggestive of pomp; see asshole.

You are speculating George, plain and simple.  You don't know what you are talking about and you have never tried any of the things you advise others to do.  You can elevate yourself all you want but you are still just speculating.  Speculate = to take to be true on the basis of insufficient evidence.  Also known as BULLSHITING

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2004 at 7:33am
I, for one, can state that countermeasures work. I owe my knowledge of using countermeasures and how successful (translated: undetectable) they are to assholes like you, Mr. You-are-the-BS, because of the "deception indicated" (false positives) your fellow assholes gave me.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Iraqi Fabricator Who Passed Polygraph Identified
Reply #12 - Jul 16th, 2004 at 12:19pm
The Iraqi fabricator who provided false information that Iraq possessed mobile biological warfare laboratories and was believed in part because he had passed a polygraph "test" has been publicly identified as Major Mohammad Harith. Secretary of State Colin Powell used Harith's bogus information in an attempt to justify the planned invasion of Iraq in a pre-war speech before the United Nations.

Knight Ridder reporters Jonathan S. Landay and Warren P. Strobel disclose Harith's identity in an article titled, "Former CIA director used Pentagon ties to introduce Iraqi defector":

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/9165361.htm

Landay and Strobel also document that it was former CIA Director James Woolsey who first brought Major Harith to the Pentagon's attention. Woolsey, a founding member of the  Commitee to Liberate Iraq, was a leading advocate of the Iraq war, from which he has personally benefited.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Iraqi Fabricator Passed Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X