Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Too Hot of a Potato (Read 64022 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xyz

Re: Too Hot of a Potato
Reply #30 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 9:28pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Wow, if I were you, I would seriously consider filing a separate suit.  It sounds like the FBI poly dopes have cast serious and unsupported aspersions on your character that prevent you from getting govt jobs, cut your military career short, and may effect your civilian employment oppurtunities as well.

I'm not an attorney but this sounds actionable to me.  You should talk w/ a civil rights/employment lawyer.  You could sue for damages with the lawyer taking a percentage of any reward (no expenses for you if the case does not succeed).  Also, you could possibly ask the court to bar govt from using polys in any future hiring processes.

This might be another good front for attacking and getting rid of this ridiculous nonsense.  Courts are already aware of the unreliability of polys, plus the NAS findings, etc., etc.

You should really consider this.  Also, the last filing in Zaid's lawsuit appeared to be in 2001.  What's the current status of that suit?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xyz

Reply #31 - Feb 16th, 2004 at 8:29pm
I was kind of hoping for a response because I really don't understand why you wouldn't pursue legal action.

Would you not want to sue for damages?  If not, why not?  Have you talked w/ a lawyer and been discouraged for some legal or financial reason?  Wouldn't this be another way to attack use and acceptance of poly's (one of your stated goals)?

Please expound....

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #32 - Feb 16th, 2004 at 11:26pm
xyz,

No offense intended, but I hope you'll understand my reluctance to discuss my legal options with anonymous strangers on a public message board. I've already posted all I care to in this regard.

One observation I can make though, is that I think you are overly optimistic about the willingness of lawyers to represent clients suing the federal government over national security policy matters on a contingency fee basis. Wink

Also, to the best of my knowledge, the federal polygraph lawsuits represented by Mark Zaid are still in the discovery phase.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xmilitary
New User

Reply #33 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 1:52am
George and whomever else.  I took my first poly while in high school well prior to the Poly-employment act.  I had no problems and got the job.  Soon after, I joined the military and had no cause to take a poly, so it wasn't an issue.  I completed my service and sought a job in national security.  I was offered a poly by a federal agency.  I checked this site out prior to the poly.  I thought then that it was a site full of grumblings by people who for whatever reason couldn't pass a poly and vented here.  I admitted to my polygrapher that I went to this site and Williams’s site.  He cautioned me simply not to do anything but answer the questions.   I was tested, passed (wish all my days were that easy) by following the directions and answering truthfully.  I have been fascinated ever since with polygraph and this site in particular.  Mr. Maschke, I complement you on your vast knowledge.  You are not stupid.  But I also note that this site is something of a temple to your ego.  Polygraphs are used in various fashions and ways, by many agencies for national security screening.  While not perfect, they are useful serve a purpose.  Thanks to this site, which you claim to have built to stop fraud and pseudoscience, the entire world, terrorists and enemies of America, now have techniques (questionable if they are effective) to use in an attempt subvert a system of national security.  I find it haunting to think that if one terrorist is caught and states he got so far thanks to "The lie behind the lie detector", you and some of the posters on this board will cheer as the terrorist was successful at exposing the "Junk science".  If my son or daughter was assaulted by a sex offender who used your techniques, you would do well to hide, as I would sue you.  I think it is clear to most who read this board that you have an issue and that steps could have been taken within the government to correct them, had you used the system.  It is clear to me that you lost your clearance and position with the LA police because you are someone who is more aptly a loose cannon than a hot potato.   

I have never used countermeasures and never had trouble with any polygraph I was administered.  None of my experiences were anything close to many of the posts on this board.  I have found my polygraphers to be professional and have yet to meet a colleague who can say any differently.   

You lost your shot at the FBI.  Where I am initially sorry, I have little wonder why, as through this site, you may not have been positively evaluated as fit.   

So I close with a few questions:   

1.  How many polygraphs have you taken?  With what agencies?

2.  What countermeasures have you applied?   

3.  Since you seem to spend a great deal of time on this site, how are you employed?  I recall seeing somewhere you worked for the Iranian intersection, which I find very interesting, considering the nature of this site and the Iranian government's relation with the U.S. 

4.  You stated that you "as a cadet" value the creed to not lie, cheat or steal or tolerate those who do.  Were you ever a Military cadet?  If so, when, where?  And could this self professed honesty be the real reason you didn't get hired by the FBI and are considered "too hot a potato"?  Did you honestly admit anything which caused the government not to want you in access to classified?

Good luck on this personal mission of yours.  But from your postings, I'm glad I don’t share an office with you.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #34 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 3:37am
I too thought this site was full of whiners and ddn't even glance at it twice before my polygraph  Boy was I wrong.  I was a sucker who "trusted" the system.

Congrats, xmilitary.  You were on the right side of the coin toss.

I'm not going to be an apologists or try to defend George; he can do that quite well himself.  I will compliment George on the extensive amount of information on his site.  I wouldn't have believed any of it had I not had a similar experience with the polygraph.

You state that George could have had his issues resolved had he worked within the system.  What a joke.  Do you really believe that???   

As far as the polygraph being used to screen terrorists and the hypothetical suggestion that a terrorist may use knowledge from this site to beat the polygraph, and if so somehoe George should be held morally responsible is ludicrious.  The fact that idiots in the government still rely on the ploygraph is what is morally reprehsnsible.

You're right.  It would be bad if a sex offender used info from this site to beat the system.  Sounds like the system is broke if it is so easilly beaten.  For you to attempt to blame that on George and this site is pretty weak.  But it would be even worse for an innocent person to be incorrectly accused due to this junk science.  Such happens every day in the national security screening program.  If our national security is truly dependant on polygraph screeing results then we as a country are totally screwed.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #35 - Feb 21st, 2005 at 11:14am
xmilitary,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your comments. I had limited Internet access over the past three weeks. Responses to your remarks follow.

xmilitary wrote on Feb 4th, 2005 at 1:52am:
George and whomever else.  I took my first poly while in high school well prior to the Poly-employment act.  I had no problems and got the job.  Soon after, I joined the military and had no cause to take a poly, so it wasn't an issue.  I completed my service and sought a job in national security.  I was offered a poly by a federal agency.  I checked this site out prior to the poly.  I thought then that it was a site full of grumblings by people who for whatever reason couldn't pass a poly and vented here.

Do you still hold that point of view?

Quote:
I admitted to my polygrapher that I went to this site and Williams’s site.  He cautioned me simply not to do anything but answer the questions.   I was tested, passed (wish all my days were that easy) by following the directions and answering truthfully.

Congratulations on passing your polygraph. I am glad to know that the "complete honesty" approach (suggested in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector) worked for you, and that you were not subjected to retaliation for your candor. Others have not always been so fortunate.

Quote:
I have been fascinated ever since with polygraph and this site in particular.

Why this fascination? Your use of the word "polygraph" as an abstract noun synonymous with "polygraphy" suggests that perhaps you were fascinated enough to become a polygrapher yourself, as the word is rarely used by anyone outside the polygraph community in this sense.

Quote:
Mr. Maschke, I complement you on your vast knowledge.  You are not stupid.  But I also note that this site is something of a temple to your ego.

Why is that? What would you suggest I do differently?

Quote:
Polygraphs are used in various fashions and ways, by many agencies for national security screening.  While not perfect, they are useful serve a purpose.

But polygraph screening has no scientific basis and is without validity. The reliance of these agencies on polygraphy is misplaced.

Quote:
Thanks to this site, which you claim to have built to stop fraud and pseudoscience, the entire world, terrorists and enemies of America, now have techniques (questionable if they are effective) to use in an attempt subvert a system of national security.

While America's adversaries have been fooling the polygraph since well before this website went on-line (2000),  it is true that AntiPolygraph.org has made information about polygraph procedure and countermeasures more readily available than ever before. We provide this information to afford innocent persons a means of protecting themselves against the risk of a false positive outcome, not to help liars beat the system. Unfortunately, there is no way to provide this information to those who legitimately need it without also making it available to all.

I suspect that you would likely agree with the views expressed by DoDPI instructor Paul M. Menges in his article, "Ethical Considerations of Providing Polygraph Countermeasures to the Public" (Polygraph, Vol. 31 [2002], No. 4, pp. 254-262). See my article, "A Response to Paul M. Menges Regarding the Ethical Considerations of Providing Polygraph Countermeasures to the Public" for a rebuttal.

Quote:
I find it haunting to think that if one terrorist is caught and states he got so far thanks to "The lie behind the lie detector", you and some of the posters on this board will cheer as the terrorist was successful at exposing the "Junk science".

On the contrary, I think it would be deeply regrettable if it were to take such an incident to compel our government to confront the truth that polygraphy is junk science.

Quote:
If my son or daughter was assaulted by a sex offender who used your techniques, you would do well to hide, as I would sue you.

On what legal theory would you base your suit?

Quote:
I think it is clear to most who read this board that you have an issue and that steps could have been taken within the government to correct them, had you used the system.

What is the "issue" that you believe it is "clear to most" that I have? And what are the steps that you believe "could have been taken within the government to correct them [sic]?"

Quote:
It is clear to me that you lost your clearance and position with the LA police because you are someone who is more aptly a loose cannon than a hot potato.

Why is that?

Quote:
I have never used countermeasures and never had trouble with any polygraph I was administered.  None of my experiences were anything close to many of the posts on this board.  I have found my polygraphers to be professional and have yet to meet a colleague who can say any differently.

Congratulations. Many others have not been so fortunate.

Quote:
You lost your shot at the FBI.  Where I am initially sorry, I have little wonder why, as through this site, you may not have been positively evaluated as fit.

I passed all other employment-related tests that I took prior to my FBI polygraph. My FBI HQ file indicates that my application was terminated based solely on my polygraph results, without any further investigation.

Quote:
So I close with a few questions:   

1.  How many polygraphs have you taken?  With what agencies?

Please re-read my statement.

Quote:
2.  What countermeasures have you applied?

None.

Quote:
3.  Since you seem to spend a great deal of time on this site, how are you employed?  I recall seeing somewhere you worked for the Iranian intersection, which I find very interesting, considering the nature of this site and the Iranian government's relation with the U.S.

My current employment is no business of yours. While I have never heard of "the Iranian intersection" (perhaps you meant the Iranian Interests Section?), I can confirm that I am not now, nor have I ever been, an agent of Iran (or, for that matter, any other foreign government), as you have insinuated.

Quote:
4.  You stated that you "as a cadet" value the creed to not lie, cheat or steal or tolerate those who do.  Were you ever a Military cadet?  If so, when, where?

As I mentioned in my statement, I received a 2-year Army ROTC scholarship in 1987 and was commissioned as a 2nd lieutenant in 1989. The university I attended was UCLA.

Quote:
And could this self professed honesty be the real reason you didn't get hired by the FBI and are considered "too hot a potato"?  Did you honestly admit anything which caused the government not to want you in access to classified?

I have received no indication that such is the case. My FBI polygraph report, as well as the rejection letter I received from the Bureau, indicates that my application was terminated because of the polygraph results, and not on any admission made.

Quote:
Good luck on this personal mission of yours.  But from your postings, I'm glad I don’t share an office with you.   

Somehow, I doubt the sincerity of your good luck wishes. From your post, I suppose I should also be glad not to share an office with you.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nina
New User

Reply #36 - Apr 3rd, 2005 at 5:09am
I think it is a wonderful story to share with everyone else, because it exposes so much. I believe every  word of it. No one would take the effort to do so much if not to help deal with the frustration.

Wouldn't be awesome to have a site for all doctors and businesses who do so much wrong and of course for those who do so well.

Your book is awesome and I wished I read it 2 days ago before going to the polygraph test, because it described everything I experienced exactly.  I will keep my fingers crossed and hopefully I pass it. If I don't, I know that there is someone better than me  that didn't.

Sincerely,

Nina

PS: there are always those who are capable to bad-mouth everything.  A few years ago, when I won the teacher of the year award, you wouldn't believe all the accusations. I learned my lesson and never accepted the other ones!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mike_C.
User

Reply #37 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 8:01am
George, 
  After reading your very sad story about being disqualified as a potential candidate for the FBI due to polygraph results, I am somewhat stunned as to how and why this could have happened to what appears to be a very promising candidate for the position. 

It seems unfortunate that someone such as yourself, especially with your military background in counterintelligence and investigative techniques could be disqualified in this manner, and without merit. This whole unfortunate episode has left me with feelings of anger, frustration, confusion and above all, contempt. 

If a potential applicant such as yourself applied for a prestigious law enforcement agency like the FBI and were turned down based solely on the results of the polygraph, one would think you might have a better chance at applying for the Central Intelligence Agency. After all, the CIA continuosly recruits and trains many applicants who possess the knowledge to be able to communicate in a foreign language, especially Arabic and Farsi. 

Your military career history is something to be truly admired. That alone should have had recruiters from any top law enforcement agency sit up and take notice the moment you filled out any application. 

This is a very informative site and has already confirmed for me what I always suspected, that the polygraph, along with the investigative procedures before and after the polygraph is administered, is nothing but voodoo garbage. 

As for the negative posts which accompany this thread, (I won't mention names) I can only say, leave the childish name-calling to some other teenage chat site or something. 

Mike_C. 

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #38 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 9:06am
Mike C.,

Thank you for your words of encouragement. At this point, however, I have no interest in working for any organization that relies on polygraph screening.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box uiop
New User

Reply #39 - Aug 11th, 2005 at 2:33am
False and misleading?  well George, let's start with the crap you spread about the FBI being referred to as "OGA".  The FBI is ALWAYS referred to as the FBI.  OGA on the other hand......well now.  Can we assume that yet another Government agency in addition to ALL the others rejected you as well?   

Oh, by the way, in another post you state you no longer wished to work for the FBI.  Be honest George.  You never had the decision to make. They made it and didn't want you.   

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #40 - Aug 11th, 2005 at 9:51am
uiop,

Considering that the Federal Bureau of Investigation is the only federal agency whose pre-employment polygraph I failed, I think it is a safe bet that when Brock Butterfield used the term "OGA," he was referring to the FBI. Wink

Here is the relevant portion of my statement:

Quote:
While the 902nd MI's polygraph section opined that "the issues are pertinent for a poly" but that polygraphing me would be "too hot of a potato," the Defense Security Service's polygraph division (S32) had a completely opposite view. In a memorandum to "Janet" dated 30 October 2000, acting chief Brock W. Butterfield had written:

"Per your request, I have reviewed this case to determine if sufficient information was developed upon which to construct a polygraph examination. It does not appear that specific allegations have been provided by the other government agency (OGA) [that is, the FBI] upon which to recommend the conduct of a DSS polygraph examination. Subject's failure of the OGA polygraph examination was in the area of pre-employment screening. DSS conducts specific issue polygraph examinations to resolve adjudicatively significant issues that have been corroborated. That does not appear to be the case with this Subject. Based on what has been presented, it seems unlikely that we will receive any specific allegations. Thus, a DSS polygraph examination appears inappropriate."

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #41 - Aug 12th, 2005 at 12:33am
Quote:
uiop,

Considering that the Federal Bureau of Investigation is the only federal agency whose pre-employment polygraph I failed, I think it is a safe bet that when Brock Butterfield used the term "OGA," he was referring to the FBI. Wink

Mr. Maschke,

The talk in polygraph circles is that you also failed a polygraph examination conducted by CIA (and possibly one by the LAPD).  Is this information incorrect?

Respectfully,

Nonombre

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #42 - Aug 12th, 2005 at 3:56am
nonombre wrote on Aug 12th, 2005 at 12:33am:

Mr. Maschke,

The talk in polygraph circles is that you also failed a polygraph examination conducted by CIA (and possibly one by the LAPD).  Is this information incorrect?

Respectfully,

Nonombre

George must be pretty famous in polygraph circles.  Hypothetically, if he had failed a CIA polygraph (not mentioned previously by him) then somebody broke the Privacy Act.

I think we need a special prosecutor to investigate.

Then again, not unusual for asshole polygraphers to break the law, since they themselves are in fact "above the law."
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2005 at 6:34am by Jeffery »  

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #43 - Aug 12th, 2005 at 5:57am
nonombre wrote on Aug 12th, 2005 at 12:33am:

Mr. Maschke,

The talk in polygraph circles is that you also failed a polygraph examination conducted by CIA (and possibly one by the LAPD).  Is this information incorrect?

Respectfully,

Nonombre

Nonombre,

I did not mention it in my public statement, nor have I publicly mentioned it elsewhere before now, but in the early 1990s I twice applied for a graduate student internship with the CIA. Both times, I passed initial written tests and was interviewed at CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia. As part of the process, I submitted to a polygraph screening examination each time. Each time, I sat for only one polygraph session, and each time was told the result was inconclusive. I was not accused of deception or subjected to a post-test interrogation in either case. Both times, I was asked if I'd be willing to come back for a follow-up examination, and both times I agreed.

In both cases, I was not offered the internship following interviews with managers in the Directorate of Intelligence. I recall that one supervisor, apparently not very impressed with my decision to major in Near Eastern languages, suggested that intelligence analysts don't really need to be fluent in the languages of the countries they report on, remarking "We have people to translate things for us." I was bewildered by that remark. I was also introduced to the person in charge of producing biographical reports on prominent political, military, and economic figures of a particular Near Eastern country. He was unable to read a newspaper in that country's language. I hope attitudes have changed regarding the importance of language skills at Langley.

In any event, as I mentioned, the CIA's polygraphers did not accuse me of deception and were actually quite courteous. I was left with the impression that I was not offered the internships based on my interviews, not the polygraph. Indeed, had I "failed" the polygraph during my first internship application, I doubt I would have been interviewed for an internship a second time.

It's possible that in the post-Ames polygraph crackdown at CIA, my charts were re-evaluated and scored as "Deception Indicated." But no such indication was made to me.

On a side note, during one of my trips to Langley, while speaking with other applicants at a motel in Tyson's Corner where we were staying, I was surprised to hear from one applicant for employment, not an internship, how she had been harshly grilled about her sex life and accused of lying. She found it all the more outrageous because she was a rape victim, and had been interrogated about that, too. I could hardly believe it, because my experience had been so different. I was not asked any sex-related questions on either occasion.

As for failing an LAPD polygraph, yes, LAPD polygrapher Ervin Youngblood, who had the foreknowledge that I had previously failed my pre-employment polygraph with the FBI, accused me of using countermeasures. It didn't matter that at the time, I did not even know what countermeasures are. I have discussed all this in greater detail in my public statement.

In any event, it is crystal clear that in the memo by the acting chief of the Defense Security Service's polygraph section that he was referring to my FBI pre-employment polygraph. My Army records, released to me under the Privacy Act, include no communications from either the CIA or the LAPD.

If "the talk in polygraph circles" is that I failed a CIA polygraph, then, as Jeffery indicated, it appears that someone has violated the Privacy Act.
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2007 at 9:55am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Aug 12th, 2005 at 9:03am
To all of you zealouts who thing George is making some outlandish statement against you without cause:

I ask, what say you to his willingness to answer a straight-forward question?  Did he not provide full disclosure?  Has this particular question been posed earlier?  No?  Where have the bashers reclused to?

See that, he has been more forward than most of you pros have been.  When you find it within yourselves to do the same, please return.  If not, go to hell.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Too Hot of a Potato

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X