Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Too Hot of a Potato (Read 63807 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Too Hot of a Potato
Reply #15 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 10:00am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Quote:
So George, you would have us believe that your "code" is what drove you to build a website and write a book containing a compilation of material, (most of which was already available and had been for twenty years or more).

Yes, I acted based on ethical principles. (I'm not sure why you seem to have difficulty grasping the concept.) I think it is fundamentally wrong that the honesty and integrity any citizen should be judged on the basis of pseudoscientifc polygraph chart readings, and I'd like to see that policy changed.

Certainly, much of the information on AntiPolygraph.org was available elsewhere before we went on-line. But finding such information required many hours in a research library. Now, it is readily available to anyone who does a keyword search on "polygraph" or "lie detector."

Quote:
And you state, "I like to think that by working to expose polygraph "testing" for the pseudoscientific quackery that it is, I am perhaps making as significant a contribution to my country as I might have made had I been allowed to continue in government service."  The fact is you would have been allowed to continue had you not made such a public spectacle of yourself.

How do you know this last statement to be true? Do you have inside information? If what you say is true, then it's an admission that the revocation of my security clearance was essentially retaliation for my having exercised my First Amendment right to free speech.

Based on the available evidence, however, I don't think it's as simple as that. My FBI polygraph results were certainly highly prejudicial in the mind of the CCF adjudicator. And had the 902nd MI Gp polygraph section not deemed polygraphing me to be "too hot of a potato," there is still no guarantee that I would have passed any re-test. Indeed, the previous FBI polygraph results would have presumably created a negative bias going into it.

Quote:
I fail to see any "significant contribution", or for that matter any contribution at all.

I can see how one whose bread and butter depends on widespread public ignorance and misinformation/disinformation about polygraphy would hold such a view.

Quote:
What I do see is the raving of a petulant ego maniac seeking revenge against a perceived wrong, and trying to convince everyone, (including himself), that he is doing this as a service to mankind.

Regardless of motives, the more important question is, are our arguments regarding polygraph matters correct? Please don't hesitate to point out anything on AntiPolygraph.org that you believe to be false or misleading. This message board is available for that purpose.

If you choose to register, you'll have the option of editing your posts, receiving e-mail notification when discussion threads are updated, and exchanging private messages with other registered users.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #16 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 8:06pm
Marty wrote on Feb 4th, 2004 at 1:42am:
George,

In reviewing your statement, I found the comment the examiner made about your high moral calibre prior to the polygraph consistent with Matte's description of how examinees are sensitized to the control questions. I guess the theory is that an innocent examinee is likely to be more reactive to the probably lies and put at ease on the relevants (and vice versa for the guilty ones). Assuming the theory true, making that statement based on a check that couldn't have been done at that time is more likely to make one suspicious of the process. The exact opposite of what was intended.

If that happened as you described it was sloppy polygraph work.

Mentioning "control questions" is likely to have perked their ears as well.

Marty,

I concur with your observations. However, while I don't mean to suggest that such was your intent, I think it's worth noting that attempts to determine why an invalid test yielded inaccurate results are unlikely to repay the undertaking. The shortcomings in the administration of my FBI pre-employment polygraph examination are just a few examples of the virtually infinite number of uncontrolled -- and uncontrollable -- potentially confounding variables that beset all CQT polygraph examinations. Please forgive the crude metaphor, but the problems you've pointed out are but several discernable turds floating in a polygraph punch bowl that is filled to the brim with raw sewage. Tongue

Quote:
A blunt instrument to measure something as critical to ones self identity as integrity.

Agreed! Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2004 at 11:59pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Reply #17 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 5:15am
Quote:
In July 1999, I wrote a public statement about my experience with the polygraph. At the time, I wrote under the pseudonym "Captain Jones." Much has happened since then, and I have now revised and expanded my original statement. See, "Too Hot of a Potato: A Citizen Soldier's Encounter With the Polygraph."

On the one hand you have George, blaming everyone but himself for his failures, and on the other hand you have this man, the one George blames the most.  Which one sounds more like a mental patient?  George!

Jack Trimarco & Associates 
Polygraph / Investigations, Inc. 
9454 Wilshire Blvd., 6th Floor 
Beverly Hills, California 90212 
Phone:   310-247-2637 
Fax:   805-383-9973 
Email:  Jtrimarco@aol.com 

Major Case Involvement Dr. Wen Ho Lee Espionage Case; The “Unabomber”; “Whitewater”; Oklahoma City Bombing; World Trade Center Bombing (1993); numerous cases involving classified foreign terrorists, espionage, proliferation, economic espionage, national information infrastructure and perception management; “Fed buster”; Princess Cruises Extortion; Gerald Gallego Serial Killer; Bank of America, Davis, CA hostage standoff; V.A. Hospital, Brentwood, CA hostage standoff; Enrique Camarena assassination; Top 1- fugitive, Claude Dallas, Top 10 Fugitive, Daniel Barney; Charles Keating Fraud Investigation; Bombing of Pan Am Flight 103; Dr. Peter Lee Espionage Case; L.A.P.D. Rampart Scandal. 
Polygraph Experience  Former Inspector General, D.O.E. Polygraph Program,Polygraph Unit Chief, F.B.I. Los Angeles Field Office 1991-1998. Conducted more than 1100 polygraph examinations in connection with F.B.I. investigations. Selected by the U.S. Department of Justice and the F.B.I. to conduct polygraph examinations in sensitive intelligence matters and criminal investigations throughout the U.S. and abroad. Formerly held top-secret security clearance. Established private practice in 1998. Conducted more than 60 seminars/presentations on interviewing and interrogation and polygraph related matters throughout the United States. Conducted training at the F.B.I. Academy, C.I.A., and U.S. Justice Department. 
Polygraph Testimony As An Expert Witness California vs. Renee Lloyd (1993) State of California Superior & Court, Rancho Cucamonga, California; U.S. vs. Noe Orozo Viveros (1994) U.S. District Court, Central District of California, U.S. vs. Samson Gillette (1999), U.S. District Courtt, Central District of California, California vs. Catarino Gonzales (2001) Sate of California, Superior Court, Los Angeles. State of California vs. Gary Bearman (2003). 
Professional Memberships  American American Board of Forensic Examiners, American Polygraph Association, Advanced and Specialized Polygraph Examiner, California Association of Polygraph Examiners, American Association of Police Polygraphists, California Association of Hostage Negotiators, American Academy of Forensic Sciences, Diplomat, Board Certified Forensic Examiner of the American Board of Forensic Examiners, Fellow, College American College of Forensic Examiners- Lifetime Member, American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS); California Attorneys for Criminal Justice, National Association of Legal Investigators (NALI), Society of Former Special Agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, California Association of Licensed Investigators (CALI), Southern California Fraud Investigators Association (SCFIA), Beverly Hills Bar Association, Ventura County Bar Association, Orange County Bar Association, Los Angeles County Bar Association, San Fernando Valley Bar Association, Certified Investigative Professionals Inc., (CIPI), Professional Investigators of California (PICA), and Forensic Consultants Association. 
Education Montana State University at Billings, B.S., Psychology, 1976, High Honors; Montana State University at Billings Graduate School, Psychology, 1976-77; Jacksonville University, Jacksonville, Alabama, attended Graduate School, Psychophysiology, 1990 (no graduate degrees). 
Employment United States Air Force (USAF), 1967-71, USAF “Airman of the Year” – Italy, 1968; Yellowstone County Deputy Sheriff, Billings, Montana, Patrolman 1971-73; Detective 1973-78; Federal Bureau of Investigation; Special Agent, 1978-1998, Received numerous commendations for exceptional performance. Nominated twice for F.B.I. Medal of Valor.

F.B.I. Polygraph Unit Chief (Los Angeles- Retired) Former Inspector General, Polygraph Program, U.S. Department of Energy-Office of Counterintelligence, Ventura County District Attorneys Office (Forensic Polygraph Examiner), Certified Polygraph Examiner (APA), California State Private Investigator #20970, authorized to carry a concealed weapon by County of Ventura, State of California, Ventura County Public Defenders Office, Ventura County Sheriffs Department, Orange County Public Defenders Office, U.S. Attorneys Office, (Central District of California.)

Areas of Expertise F.B.I. Polygraph Examiner, F.B.I. Hostage Negotiator, F.B.I. EXPERTISE Psychological Profiler, F.B.I. Defensive Tactics/Firearms Instructor, F.B.I. S.W.A.T. Team Member, F.B.I. Interrogation Instructor and Homicide Investigation Instructor. 
Polygraph Training  Department of Defense Polygraph Institute, 14-week polygraph course. Attended 32 polygraph training seminars conducted by the F.B.I. or professional polygraph associations across the U.S. (1990-2003). Attended numerous Federal, State and Local Agencies, National and State Polygraph Associations, private and professional groups. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #18 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 5:49am
You can be the reincarnation of William Marston for all I care. What I do know is the polygraph is easily beaten when one uses very simple to perform, and virtually undetectable, countermeasures. That's a fact; been there, done that.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #19 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 8:57am
Guest,

You write:

Quote:
On the one hand you have George, blaming everyone but himself for his failures, and on the other hand you have this man, the one George blames the most.  Which one sounds more like a mental patient?  George!

I told the truth and was wrongly accused of deception based on a procedure that has no scientific basis. For what failure(s) do you think I should I be blaming myself? 

I do not think that Jack Trimarco is primarily to blame for what happened to me. The problem is not so much that he made any mistake in administering the polygraph, but rather that the entire polygraph procedure is without validity. Any polygrapher might have obtained similarly wrong results. 

Moreover, I did not imply that Mr. Trimarco has any mental disorder, nor do I understand the basis of your suggestion that I do. 

Finally, I reiterate my invitation to you to point out anything on AntiPolygraph.org that you believe to be false or misleading.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #20 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 9:23am
Kona wrote on Feb 2nd, 2004 at 11:39am:

...Isn't Trimarco that knucklehead on Court TV's new series on lie detection?  I guess it didn't take him long to cash in after his retirement.

Kona,

I haven't seen the show, and thus can't comment on it, but yes, Trimarco is the host of the Court TV game show "Fake Out" that debuted in October 2003:

http://www.courttv.com/onair/shows/fake_out/

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #21 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 6:35pm
It is possible that polygraph screening may be validated. The National Academy of Sciences certainly suggests efforts to do so. When and if it is I hope the childish and antagonistic attitudes of the presumed polygraphers who post here are not representative of the profession.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #22 - Feb 6th, 2004 at 9:48am
Marty,

Where did the National Academy of Sciences endorse efforts to "validate" polygraph screening or suggest that such might meet with success?

On the contrary, the NAS found polygraph screening to be completely invalid and even a danger to national security, and recommended against its continued use by federal agencies. With regard to future prospects, the NAS concluded (at p. 213):

Quote:
Future Potential The inherent ambiguity of the physiological measures used in the polygaph suggest that further investments in improving polygraph technique and interpretation will bring only modest improvements in accuracy.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #23 - Feb 6th, 2004 at 1:41pm
Quote:
Marty,

Where did the National Academy of Sciences endorse efforts to "validate" polygraph screening or suggest that such might meet with success?

On the contrary, the NAS found polygraph screening to be completely invalid and even a danger to national security, and recommended against its continued use by federal agencies. With regard to future prospects, the NAS concluded (at p. 213):

On page 226. NAS recommends better controlled studies to eliminate various biases and determine what the polygraph can actually achieve. They are properly distressed at the wide range of estimates of accuracy and are of the general opinion current estimates overstate the actual accuracy. They believe polygraphy may be improved, but not greatly.

Matte relates an interesting story where 21 policemen were given a multiple choice test in a class they were taking for advancement. The test was handed back the next day (after recording the original answers) and each person corrected their own test. It turned out 7 of the 21 changed wrong answers in the process. Later, it was announced to the class that some individuals cheated and that their jobs were at stake. A subset of the class was then polygraphed.

The charade was to set up more realistic conditions to test the polygraph. For inexplicable reasons, only 2 of the cheaters were polygraphed along with around ten innocent cops.

This kind of test on a larger scale might be one line of attack to improve the polygraph.

It wasn't mentioned whether the cheaters were actually disciplined.

-Marty
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2004 at 5:55am by Marty »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeremy Tweet

Reply #24 - Feb 7th, 2004 at 11:53am
George, there are few things as painful as not being believed by someone who's opinion is important to you.  To have the entire US government question your integrity when you dedicated your professional life to serving it must have been a terribly difficult experience.  If it makes any differerence, I believe you 100%.  I commend you on your perserverence.  You are a great American in my mind.

Americans who are fluent in Arabic and Persian are a precious and scarce national resource these days.  I don't think most people have a clue how difficult it is for a native English speaker to become expert in those languages.  The failure of our government to harness your abilities is a loss to us all.

Jeremy

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #25 - Feb 7th, 2004 at 12:13pm
Jeremy,

Thank you for your kind words. My experience was indeed (and to some extent still is) terribly difficult.

Regrettably, our government's willfull disregard of the overwhelming scientific evidence against polygraphy ensures that the injustices that I experienced continue to be repeated against others.

If you know anyone who might someday face a polygraph examination, I hope you'll pass on to them what you've learned here.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #26 - Feb 8th, 2004 at 8:25pm
George,

After reading Matte's book on examination and cross examination of experts, IMO it is in large part a marketing tool. While I find much of his work interesting it is really tuned to specific incident polygraphy and he provides scripts that suggest lawyers using his techniques are more likely to prevail in gaining admissibility of exam results.

I found his scripts self serving since he doesn't address ways his poly techniques could be effectively attacked in court.

Also, Matte's short video into to his CD book version is worth seeing. It brought to mind Cialdini's works on persuasion.

On the positive side, I do believe his techniques may really address some of the variations that yield false positives (and negatives) on specific incident polys. Unfortunately, the techniques he describes assume naive examinees and may well fail more often with non-naive examinees let alone intentional use of CM's. And non-naive examinees are becoming a lot more common.

-Marty

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xyz

Reply #27 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 12:51am
George, are you suing?  Fill us in on legal aspects of this case.  Thanks and good luck...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Reply #28 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 1:15am
Quote:
George, are you suing?  Fill us in on legal aspects of this case.  Thanks and good luck...

NO.  George won't sue, he will complain but never sue because he knows the discovery process would bring out all the proof that he was and is in fact a liar.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #29 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 8:15am
Quote:
George, are you suing?  Fill us in on legal aspects of this case.  Thanks and good luck...

I have not filed suit. I considered joining the ongoing federal polygraph lawsuits that Mark Zaid has filed, and have provided a supporting affidavit, but the primary relief sought (reinstatement of the plaintiff's applications) is not something I seek. I no longer wish to work for the FBI. And in the case of the Army, security clearance determinations are not reviewable by the courts.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Too Hot of a Potato

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X