Normal Topic Post-Test Stress (Read 2990 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box annonymous

Post-Test Stress
Jan 22nd, 2004 at 10:26pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Does anyone else continue to experience anxiety responses long after their polygraph exams? My polygraphs were over a year ago,  but whenever I think about them or someone brings them up, my hands start shaking visibly and my heart races. (This especially happens when reading posts on polygraphplace.com...) It seems the polygrah was really a traumatic event for me! Granted I'm a timid person, and being in a small romo with a hostile polygrapher for hours on end was a real nightmare. Has anyone else had anxiety responses regarding the polygraph long after their tests were finished??

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Re: Post-Test Stress
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 10:53pm
Quote:
Does anyone else continue to experience anxiety responses long after their polygraph exams? My polygraphs were over a year ago,  but whenever I think about them or someone brings them up, my hands start shaking visibly and my heart races. (This especially happens when reading posts on polygraphplace.com...) It seems the polygrah was really a traumatic event for me! Granted I'm a timid person, and being in a small romo with a hostile polygrapher for hours on end was a real nightmare. Has anyone else had anxiety responses regarding the polygraph long after their tests were finished??

Dr Furedy has discussed the ethical issues inherent in the CQT polygraph which you can read more about here http://psych.utoronto.ca/~furedy/poldil.htm. Even if you are not a false positive and "passed" the exam it can be psychologically stressful. Understanding what they do and why should help to reduce that stress to some degree. Good luck. Here is Furedy's summary of these stresses:

The two horns of PD are damage the innocent examinee classified as deceptive, and damage to those examinee's psychological well being who are classified as non-deceptive to the relevant questions, and who are not even debriefed concerning their feelings of unease about issues raised by the comparison, so-called "control" questions.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Guest

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 9:01pm
I had my poly for a federal LEA a couple of days ago.  I am still experiencing total exhaustion, physical and mental and emotional.  I feel like chopped liver.  I did not lie.  It was grueling.  3 1/2 hours.  The examiner was not hostile but very professional and by the book.  He was sympathetic, I felt, to my nervousness.  At the end, I was told I was within passing parmeters, but, I "bumped" on a couple of areas and they may elect to retest me, or pass me, or fail me (hows that for specifics...).  I will know within 10-15 days....  Here's the real insult to my integrity, one of the areas I bumped on was "have you ever dealt drugs".  Well hell no I have never done that and I about flipped when he told me I showed sign on that one.  In fact I investigate drug dealers all the time.  Which only made me beleive that you can't take these things for the 100% truth.  I feel very anxious, very stressed.  I am a very honest person and courageous yet felt intimidated by the whole experience, almost violated.  I feel wiped out.  Even my running isn't taking care of the stress.  I'm somewhat releived to see others experience this too so it's not just me.  Thanks....good luck to all.  I would not wish this on anyone.  But if I get in, it will have been worth the pain and turmoil....

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box old school cop

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 12:03am
Quote:
I had my poly for a federal LEA a couple of days ago.  I am still experiencing total exhaustion, physical and mental and emotional.  I feel like chopped liver.  I did not lie.  It was grueling.  3 1/2 hours.  The examiner was not hostile but very professional and by the book.  He was sympathetic, I felt, to my nervousness.  At the end, I was told I was within passing parmeters, but, I "bumped" on a couple of areas and they may elect to retest me, or pass me, or fail me (hows that for specifics...).  I will know within 10-15 days....  Here's the real insult to my integrity, one of the areas I bumped on was "have you ever dealt drugs".  Well hell no I have never done that and I about flipped when he told me I showed sign on that one.  In fact I investigate drug dealers all the time.  Which only made me beleive that you can't take these things for the 100% truth.  I feel very anxious, very stressed.  I am a very honest person and courageous yet felt intimidated by the whole experience, almost violated.  I feel wiped out.  Even my running isn't taking care of the stress.  I'm somewhat releived to see others experience this too so it's not just me.  Thanks....good luck to all.  I would not wish this on anyone.  But if I get in, it will have been worth the pain and turmoil....

And this guy wants to be in Law Enforcement?  What will happen to his jelly guts when he has to deal with some real stress?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 1:02am
Some shining example of law enforcement YOU are with a snide comment like this.  Please refrain from such unprofessional posts in the future.  Your glaring lack of maturity leads me to wonder how you got in to LE to begin with.  Shame on you for being so snide.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box old school cop

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 1:44am
Quote:
Some shining example of law enforcement YOU are with a snide comment like this.  Please refrain from such unprofessional posts in the future.  Your glaring lack of maturity leads me to wonder how you got in to LE to begin with.  Shame on you for being so snide.

The original rude prick has now become the Miss Manners of the board.  I've seen your posts and you make my "snide" remarks seem downright polite.

IP Logged

Post-Test Stress

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X