Normal Topic Empty Magazines (Read 2401 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Empty Magazines
Jan 22nd, 2004 at 7:33am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have heard from multiple national guard personnel and active duty folks that while stationed in airports and around national landmarks (just after 9/11 and recently), that the M-4 that they carried was actually empty of ammunition.  

And I don't mean that just the magazine in the weapon was empty- they had NO rounds at all.

I was completely surprised to hear this.

Seems like if we are going to have security for this country that it should be more than just an illusion.

What good does it do us to have them on site if they can't act without submitting a form for bullets?

It's a shame to train these people so well and then not trust them to do the right thing.  

We deserve better and so do they!

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2004 at 4:27am by suethem »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Empty Magazines
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 9:45am
suethem,

When I was stationed with the U.S. Army in Europe in the mid-1980s my unit was called on to provide soldiers for guard duty during a time of heightened security concerns. We were issued no ammunition. Armed with unloaded M-16 rifles, our duty was to check the ID of persons entering a military facility. To disguise the fact that we were unarmed, we were required to keep an empty magazine in the chamber. In the event of terrorist attack, we were to telephone the military police for help.

The reason for this is that the officers in charge didn't trust their soldiers with live ammunition: they were more concerned about the potential career consequences of an accidental discharge than the fact that by making their soldiers appear to be armed, when they weren't, they were needlessly placing our lives in additional danger, because any terrorist contemplating an attack might decide that he/she needed to kill the guards first. I asked my unit commander whether, since we were not trusted with ammunition, we might at least be issued bayonets while on guard duty. He considered this request, but the answer from higher was, "no."

In my opinion, if soldiers are not to be trusted with loaded weapons in a public milieu, then it is wrong to order them to masquerade as armed guards.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Re: Empty Magazines
Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2004 at 5:54am
Scary stuff, 

There was a shooting recently at LAX and an El AL security person took the shooter out if I remember correctly.

Funny that our gov will let private companies arm their security personnel in our airports, but won't give our own national guard any bullets!

What if that event happened in front of the national guard?

What could they do?- just be a good witness?

Or would that be a duck and cover scenario?

Makes you wonder if those anti aircraft sites around certain cities were actually operational?!

IP Logged

Empty Magazines

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X