Normal Topic HELP NEEDED PLEASE! (Read 2456 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

HELP NEEDED PLEASE!
Jan 7th, 2004 at 11:14am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have taken two polygraph exams for LE positions. I failed the first and came up inconclusive on the second. On both tests, I identified the control questions and used CMs accordingly. But in both instances, I still showed reactions to certain relevant questions. In the first test, I showed no reaction to any of the drug-related questions, but did so on the second one and I answered consistently in both tests. I'm not sure how that happened.

So I have a re-test for the second department and some other forthcoming exams. Does anyone have advice on how to minimize BP reactions to the relevant questions? I realize that part of the process involves a convincing presentation, but from my experience, a reaction to any relevant question, even if it's less than to a corresponding control, will still create doubt in the examiner's mind.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Re: HELP NEEDED PLEASE!
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2004 at 3:52pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Dear Anonymous,

I have always advocated telling the truth and like yourself, have been found "inconclusive" and "not within acceptable parameters."   I was found to be acceptable at a later date.  At no time did I use countermeasures but I was accused of using countermeasures which indicated to me during my experiences that they are "guesses" or "hunches" but not based on discernable readings.

This is exactly why the polygraph used as a pre-screening device is a 50/50 crapshoot.  If you were a spy with unlimited access to a polygraph examiner and could "practice", you would be able to manipulate your blood pressure.  The ability to control ones heart rate and blood pressure is actually practiced to reduce anxiety and is in some American Heart Association handouts and studies.  This technique requires a dedicated effort over a period of months and you must have some way of getting positive or negative feedback by having someone take your blood pressure as you practice.  While repeated blood pressure readings over short amounts of time will affect the exact accuracy of the numbers, the overall trends (used in polygraph examinations) will be noticeable.  A spy will have no shortage of resources to accomplish this but the average government applicant does not.   The argument has been made that the polygraph will not stop any spies but has stopped many good applicants with false positives.

All of this is moot in the polygraph exam because the examiner still has no absolute way of knowing if the response is due to fear, deception , or just thinking about the subject.  There are expert psychologist who have spent their whole life studying these issues who would never claim to be able to distinguish truths from lies based only on physical reactions.

It is not science, it is an interrogation and intimidation tool.

I can assure you that if given enough chances, you will randomly produce an "acceptable chart". This has nothing to do with lying or telling the truth.

Much of your anxiety is centered around the fact that you were "told" verbally that you had responses to certain questions.  This in itself could be a mind game. 

Controlling your blood pressure is in no way a sure fire method to overcome the problems you state.

Regards.

IP Logged

HELP NEEDED PLEASE!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X