Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Upcoming Polygraph. (Read 10513 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jcw123

Upcoming Polygraph.
Dec 28th, 2003 at 11:38am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm going to be taking a polygraph exam for a law enforcement position soon.  I was just wondering if anyone could throw me a few pointers on keeping calm and passing with little to no lying.  Thanks for any help!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Upcoming Polygraph.
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 11:59am
You'll find detailed information about how to pass a polygraph "test" in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (1 mb PDF):

http://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

Note that the "control question test," the technique most commonly used by law enforcement agencies for pre-employment screening, assumes that even "honest" applicants that the agency would like to hire will lie when answering the "control" questions.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Torpedo
Senior User

AKA Geen Lantern

Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2003 at 2:57am
JCW123, just something for you to consider in your quest to become a law enforcement officer (LEO). You mention wanting to "keep calm witj little or no lying", assuming I am correct, you recognize that there are things in your background which you wish you had not done, but you also recognize that you cannot "unring a bell".  Despite what you will read here, I encourage you NOT to engage in any effort (no matter what they call it) to artifically alter the outcome of your polygraph examination. If the anti-polygraph people are as confident that you can engage in countermeasures and "beat" the polygraph (another argument entirely), I am equally confident that if you do that the chances are that you will be caught ( I might be your examiner) are high, albeit not absolute, but you have to ask yourself if you really want to take that gamble.  If you have engaged in any behaviors that you THINK might be disqualifiying, tell the examiner about it.  If it exceeds the "tolerance" level for that department (they do vary), the examiner will tell you and that will be the end of it.  If you do engage in any efforts to alter the outcome and are caught (it does happen George), your integrity will be questioned and your future as a LEO will forever be ended.  Those who run this site vehemently disagree with me (as is their right to do), but I personally think there is something very positive about  telling the truth if you want to carry the badge and belong to the brotherhood of the thin blue line.  The choice is yours my friend.  May you choose wisely.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2003 at 1:36pm
Torpedo,

You write, among other things:

Quote:
Despite what you will read here, I encourage you NOT to engage in any effort (no matter what they call it) to artifically alter the outcome of your polygraph examination. If the anti-polygraph people are as confident that you can engage in countermeasures and "beat" the polygraph (another argument entirely), I am equally confident that if you do that the chances are that you will be caught ( I might be your examiner) are high, albeit not absolute, but you have to ask yourself if you really want to take that gamble.

The fact that no one in the polygraph community (including yourself) has exhibited the confidence to accept Dr. Richardson's polygraph countermeasure challenge (701 days and counting) is strong evidence that your collective confidence in your ability to detect countermeasures does not equal Dr. Richardson's confidence that CQT polygraphy is vulnerable to countermeasures that you cannot reliably detect.

You also write:

Quote:
Those who run this site vehemently disagree with me (as is their right to do), but I personally think there is something very positive about  telling the truth if you want to carry the badge and belong to the brotherhood of the thin blue line.

This is baseless slander. Those who run this site (Gino Scalabrini and myself) agree that law enforcement applicants should tell the truth regarding relevant issues. But we also know that truthful law enforcement applicants face a signficant risk of being falsely branded as liars and wrongly disqualified based on the pseudoscientific quackery that you and your fellow polygraph operators practice. It is in the interest of anyone facing a polygraph interrogation to educate him-/herself about this invalid "test," including ways of protecting oneself against the random error associated with it.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Guest

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2003 at 10:04pm
DUMP THE GIRL AND DO THE RIGHT THING BE HONEST!@

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box warble
New User

Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2003 at 1:06am
Quote:
You'll find detailed information about how to pass a polygraph "test" in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (1 mb PDF):

http://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

Note that the "control question test," the technique most commonly used by law enforcement agencies for pre-employment screening, assumes that even "honest" applicants that the agency would like to hire will lie when answering the "control" questions.

Very insightful. What is especially interesting is that the testers themselves must lie to administer the test. They cannot accept honest answers. For example, when they ask if a person has ever stole from an employer everybody must say yes. Everybody has taken home that pen, piece of paper, left early, or whatever. It is impossible for the honest person to answer no to this question unless they just happen to forget an event or misunderstand the question.

Regardless, the tester in their use of trickery will ask specifics in order to get a confession. This of course should be illegal and protected under the 5th amendment. An honest person of course might reply that a paperclip was stolen. The tester then claims that this kind of theft is not what is meant by the question, or they will try to throw in disqualifiers.  Note how the tester compounds the lie when in fact the correct answer 99% of the time is that yes I have stolen from my employer. There should never be a need for any confession.

The point is that the only honest answer is yes "EVERYBODY" has stolen from his or her employer in some form or another. For the tester to claim that a stolen paperclip or whatever isn't relevant is a lie. Thus we find the corrupt nature of the test to begin with.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box warble
New User

Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2003 at 2:02am
Torpedo wrote on Dec 29th, 2003 at 2:57am:
JCW123, 
I am equally confident that if you do that the chances are that you will be caught ( I might be your examiner) are high, albeit not absolute, but you have to ask yourself if you really want to take that gamble. 

This is an absolute lie. When you examine how these tests are administered you will learn that the examiner will always try to mislead you if not outright lie to you. The more experienced they are the more deceptive they are.

Even now this person is using scare tactics to make you nervous. The person is threatening you with getting caught if you use countermeasures. If these tests were accurate these liars would not feel the need to threaten you at all. Note that it is routine these liars to threaten a subject prior to a lie detector test.

Finally, if you gamble it is only in taking the test without knowing the lies that will be told, and failing to use countermeasures. Remember, these liars have the power to destroy innocent people and think nothing of falsely labeling them liars. They know this is true or they would not have their victims sign all kinds of release forms to limit their liability.

Don't be stupid. Learn the test and practice the countermeasures.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #7 - Dec 31st, 2003 at 3:53am
Warble

Get ready for a 16" salvo from the port side of the poly battleship. You were awful hard on'em. They will probably label you an Iraqi subversive. I would have used Al-Queada, but I can't spell it. I'll bet they will tag you with something if they are not too hurt to respond. Ha.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Joe_Nobody
New User

Reply #8 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 4:26am
Interestinng....  its the 15th and still no rebuttle from the "Polygraphs are good crowd"... I would especially have expected Torpedo to have responded since multiple people pretty much caled him a liar  Smiley

Hmm maybe this is yet another indication that when people arm themselves with knowledge and information then those that would spread misinformation cease to be an issue.

Joe

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #9 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 4:39am
Joe_Nobody

They are probably busy running charts on beginning of the year applicants that know countermeasures and they are taking a lot of time trying to guess who is applying them.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymous

Reply #10 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 4:51am
No offense, Torpedo, but you sound just like the NSA
polygraphers; the crap about just telling your examiner
everything,  and that they are only concerned about
major crimes.  Well, they don't tell you that everything
goes back to the Defense Security Service.  It seems
like polygraphers are "stamped out"; they all sound the
same.  They are dishonest and manipulative...

IP Logged

New User

Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 4:54am
ROFL,

Unfortunately Torpedo hasnt got that excuse... since he or she has posted in other threads as recently as the 13th that i can see  Smiley

Joe

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Torpedo
Senior User

AKA Geen Lantern

Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 12:15am
Dear "Nobody"....how fitting!  Ho hum, the reason I choose not to respond is for no other reason than many of you with nothing to say and offers of misdirected suggestions on how to "beat" the polygraph....bore me....say something meaningful and I might (only if it pleases me) enter back into your dicussions.  Many of you are showing your ignorance...and I choose to let you ramble and show your true colors to those who read from this site. Itr is truly a shame though because some show some promise in wanting to engage in meaningful discussion...not many, but some.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #13 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 3:07am
Funny you would choose to regail us on how you choose not to respond ... yet you still havent rebutted the claims that your information is false  Smiley

If this was a different type of web board I would call you a troll since you really do just seem to be attempting to Sow deceit and mistrust with no real fact to back it up.

Oh and dont wait up night for me to try and find something that would "Please you"  since I am an honorable and truthfull person I doubt I could find anything quite that base. 

Hows that for "Boring misdirection" LOL

You want meaningful, stop sparing with me and speak to the information posted by others on this thread that directly called what you said false...  Cmon back up your blather with something other than misdirection and deceit  Wink.........  No???  well thats not surprising.

Joe

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ray
Senior User

Reply #14 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 2:42am
George,

You write:

Quote:
This is baseless slander. Those who run this site (Gino Scalabrini and myself) agree that law enforcement applicants should tell the truth regarding relevant issues.

In TLBTHLD ON pg.115 you say, "But in response to the relevant questions, you should make no admissions whatsoever."  Sounds like a lie by omission to me.

You further explain in your "book" what examiners look for in terms of body language/verbal responses from both truthful and deceptive examinees.  If you encourage truthful responses to relevant issues, why is there a need for this section?   

IP Logged

Upcoming Polygraph.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X