Normal Topic How does one NOT use countermeasures (Read 2052 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

How does one NOT use countermeasures
Dec 15th, 2003 at 7:40pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Polygraphers often comment that examinees should not use countermeasures and just "tell the truth." OK, that is the most ethical thing to do - but only if it's possible. Let's examine the two principal scenarios involved. Both assume an "informed" examinee.

In the first scenario the examiner does not ask about the examinee's polygraph knowledge. So exactly how does a well meaning examinee, desiring not to use countermeasures, respond when reviewing the relevant and control question? An informed examinee will know the examiner will expect a lie on the controls. Should he lie? Is doing what an uninformed examinee is expected to do not using countermeasures? If he doesn't lie because he has been exhorted to "just tell the truth" the controls will be unusable, or even worse, the examinee will be telling the truth on the controls and thus failing to produce a NDI on the relevants.  Alternately, the examinee could then reveal he is aware of the purpose of controls at that time. How will the examiner deal with that person then?

Now lets take the case where the examinee tells the examiner up front she is "informed." If the examiner is trained in DLCQT's then that is one direction. Has anyone here had this result? OTOH, the examiner may not be trained at DLCQTs and may just try to bluff their way through.  Should an examinee then pretend to not recognize the controls and lie on them knowing the examiner anticipates a lie? In what ways would such a polygraph produce results different from a standard exam-examinee?

I'm interested in how both polygraphers and examinees who have taken exams without using CM's have resolved these questions.

To me it seems a little like trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Re: How does one NOT use countermeasures
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2004 at 1:27am
Matte (and many others) strongly believes the DLT is defective and favors the exclusionary, PLT. However, his analysis doesn't include factors such as non-naive examinees. This seems particularly odd given the increasing use of PV's in SO cases. It would seem to me quite likely SO's would not be naive about CQT's after being repeatedly subject to them. Perhaps false negatives associated with repeated, non-naive, SO PV's are making it look like SO, PV programs are more effective than they really are.

Anyone know of research in this area?

-Marty

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2004 at 3:12am
Marty wrote on Jan 24th, 2004 at 1:27am:
Matte (and many others) strongly believes the DLT is defective and favors the exclusionary, PLT. However, his analysis doesn't include factors such as non-naive examinees. This seems particularly odd given the increasing use of PV's in SO cases. It would seem to me quite likely SO's would not be naive about CQT's after being repeatedly subject to them. Perhaps false negatives associated with repeated, non-naive, SO PV's are making it look like SO, PV programs are more effective than they really are.

Anyone know of research in this area?

-Marty

Yes Marty, but you fail to consider the PDQ, ETC, SOP, ASAP, AND PD.  TO SAY NOTHING OF THE SOB.  Who are you trying to impress with all your nonsense?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2004 at 5:53am
Quote:

Yes Marty, but you fail to consider the PDQ, ETC, SOP, ASAP, AND PD.  TO SAY NOTHING OF THE SOB.  Who are you trying to impress with all your nonsense?

What nonsense? I'm using common polygrapher jargon and addressing the question to anyone knowledgeable in the field. I want to understand the controversy about these techniques (DLT vs PLT) within the polygrapher's own community.

I recently picked up Matte's book, "Examination and Cross Examination of Experts in Forensic Psychophsyiology Using the Polygraph" It's quite an eye opener if rather self serving.

-Marty

IP Logged

How does one NOT use countermeasures

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X