Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) But I can't help it. I was born white. (Read 16377 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PAQ
User

But I can't help it. I was born white.
Dec 11th, 2003 at 4:32am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Does anyone know what the chances of a white guy getting hired on at the LAPD? I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, it's just that I heard that they are not hiring white males right now because of affirmative action, and I was hoping someone might have heard something. Please let me know if you have. Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box I Know

Re: But I can't help it. I was born white.
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2003 at 7:27am
White males are always the last on the shopping lists at LAPD.  Too many minorities in places of power there.  No matter what anyone told you this is the truth and I KNOW IT TO BE SO !!!!!!!!!  Next on the list would be white females, without a doupt !

Try Burbank

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2003 at 7:49am
Just curious here.......

Does anyone out there know if LAPD has a consent decree where they have to hire X% minorities or females?   

Kona

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2003 at 8:46pm
Kona:

They will all say that they don't have one; however as I said above too may in power positions are making sure that the troops faces are changing and more ethnic types are being hired.
  One thing for sure will get you hired and that is having a second language no matter what it is.  The big BLUE needs that extra in our changing society. 
I would tell you Kona, how I know this .......but then I would have to kill you ! Roll Eyes  Only kidding, just take my word that I am very close to people who make those decisions.  And I DO KNOW......

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2003 at 8:47pm
Kona:

They will all say that they don't have one; however as I said above too may in power positions are making sure that the troops faces are changing and more ethnic types are being hired.
  One thing for sure will get you hired and that is having a second language no matter what it is.  The big BLUE needs that extra in our changing society. 
I would tell you Kona, how I know this .......but then I would have to kill you ! Roll Eyes  Only kidding, just take my word that I am very close to people who make those decisions.  And I DO KNOW......

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2003 at 9:27pm
I Know,

If a consent decree was issued by the court mandating that certain percentages of minorities/women etc.... be hired by the LAPD, then this fact would not have to be kept secret by the people in "power positions" (your words).  They would be bound by the courts to abide by the decree and hire whatever percentages were stipulated in the document.   

All I was just asking was....... is there such a decree in existence?  Is anybody out there in the know?   

Kona

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Canadian Crusader
Senior User

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2003 at 12:13am
That "affirmative action" crap is rampant here in Canada too.   

Why is it that the population of our police forces have to reflect the ethnic diversity of the country's population?

Since when is it better to lower entrance exam and physical test scores just to increase the number of females and minorities in a forces ranks?

What on earth happened to the best person for the job egardless of sex, race, etc?

Sorry for the rant.  A bit of a sore spot with me.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mike_C.
User

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2005 at 6:36am
A bit of a sore spot for you??? Sorry for the late response, as I have already said on another thread, it's because I'm somewhat new to this site. 

But back to the topic at hand.....being born white and applying to the nations ("supposedly") finest. I don't think there's one poster on this entire site who knows what I know and who's gathered the information I possess regarding hiring standards and practices with the LAPD. The Los Angeles Police Department has been known for actually breaking, or more to the point, "bending " the rules to assist a minority applicant in getting hired. (and please, spare me the responses of "racist," as it's getting old when I voice my opinion, and I don't need to hear it.) 

This department was at one time, the "creme de la creme," so to speak, of every single police department throughout the entire nation. This was the ultimate police department everybody looked up to. It was made world famous by movies and TV shows like Dragnet, Police Story and Adam-12. Author Joseph Wambaugh promoted the LAPD in his many ficticious novels. Some of his books regarding LAPD were also non-fiction. The LAPD was at it's highest once, in being THE very best police department to apply to. It was (and still is) world famous. But that was then-and this is now. 

Before I go further, I want to make it abundantly clear I am in no way slandering any ethnic group or making any underline racial slurs, as this is not the case in my post. But since the topic was brought up and the introduction of Affirmative-Action was introduced into civil service hiring procedures, coupled with the mandated Federal hiring practises for the position of police officer with the LAPD, this department has gone all-out and hired the most imcompetent, inept, incapable trainees, not based on whether or not they are able to do the job, but whether or not the city of LA has met their hiring quota which will guarantee addional federal funding for the following years. 

And yes, they even greatly lowered the written test process in order that more minorities and women apply. There was a time when even if an applicant said he smoked marijuana one time, he was automatically disqualified. This was LAPD's policy for years. But now, even with the admittance of using cocaine, it is now not a disqualifying factor, providing of course, it wasn't too recently. 

This to me, is outrageous. This is absurd. And when I say I have quite literally almost first-hand knowledge on this issue, I mean just that. I have some friends who've worked there for years, who say they have never seen the training abilities and practises of techniques fall to an all-time low. And this also includes the morale problem, which is still at the all-time low and will take years to recover, thanks to ex-chief Bernard Parks, who's now an elected city council member. 

So, no. Don't balme yourself Paq, for your "birth defect," it's just the way it is, when you live in a melting pot like Southern California. You are the minority now. 

Mike_C. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PAQ
User

Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2005 at 2:39am
Thank you for your input. Better late than never.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box WalkerTR
New User

Re: But I can't help it. I was born white. SO?
Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2005 at 4:47am
Quote:
That "affirmative action" crap is rampant here in Canada too.   

Why is it that the population of our police forces have to reflect the ethnic diversity of the country's population?

Since when is it better to lower entrance exam and physical test scores just to increase the number of females and minorities in a forces ranks?

What on earth happened to the best person for the job egardless of sex, race, etc?

Sorry for the rant.  A bit of a sore spot with me.

As to your first question, is it that difficult to see how ethnic diversity can be useful? In a city like los angeles, how can all white cops effectively police?

As to your second question, you sound like you are saying that minorities and women are lesser in quality to white males. Please tell me that is not what you are saying, that would be the most ignorant statement in this thread! They all have to pass the tests, regardless of race or sex, or they don't continue on in the process. At the point where they are selected their race or gender may become an issue, but not because they are better or worse qualified.

As to you last question, I guess the best person for the job now includes gender and race. I don't think that it is the case that they would hire inadequate people who are minorities or women. They still have to meet prescribed reuirements.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2005 at 4:59am
mike_C. wrote on Jun 18th, 2005 at 6:36am:
Before I go further, I want to make it abundantly clear I am in no way slandering any ethnic group or making any underline racial slurs, as this is not the case in my post.

What you are saying IS racist, even if you don't think it is. You shouldn't cower behind such an impotent statment. You should be proud about your opinion and stance, even if it is a racist one.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2005 at 6:36am
Walkertr,

Turn down your sensitivity knob for a moment.  I suppose you may find some of the things I say to be offensive.  It has become quite a regular event in the U.S.A. for people of different minorities, sexual orientations and females to proudly exclaim who and what they are.  The only place where this prideful exclamation becomes racist or biggoted is in the event a white heterosexual male exclaims his pride in who and what he is...ridiculous.

you wrote:
Quote:
As to your first question, is it that difficult to see how ethnic diversity can be useful? In a city like los angeles, how can all white cops effectively police? 

How effective is an ineffective officer regardless of race?

you wrote:
Quote:
As to your second question, you sound like you are saying that minorities and women are lesser in quality to white males. Please tell me that is not what you are saying, that would be the most ignorant statement in this thread! They all have to pass the tests, regardless of race or sex, or they don't continue on in the process. At the point where they are selected their race or gender may become an issue, but not because they are better or worse qualified. 

As to you last question, I guess the best person for the job now includes gender and race. I don't think that it is the case that they would hire inadequate people who are minorities or women. They still have to meet prescribed reuirements.

Fact: the testing and selection process standards in many areas have been lowered in order to meet prescribed quotas of minorities and females.  I'm not saying that minorities and females are inferior but this is a fact.

you wrote:
Quote:
What you are saying IS racist, even if you don't think it is. You shouldn't cower behind such an impotent statment. You should be proud about your opinion and stance, even if it is a racist one.

Unfortunately this is your interpretation.  Anything can be twisted into what one wants it to be.

I certainly do not want someone in an office of law enforcement to obtain that office simply due to race or gender when there is someone more qualified, but a quota must be met.  I don't care if it's a little green martian, if it is more qualified, it gets the job.  Get over your political correctness bullshit.

IP Logged

User

Reply #12 - Aug 6th, 2005 at 9:03am
Thank you Brandon Hall. I was about to respond to TR Walker's post about me, until I scrolled down and saw that you pointed out the obvious. 

Mr. Walker, Although I make no apologies for my statements and stand by my remarks, I have better things to do with my time than continously try and convince you I make underlying racial slurs or inappropriate remarks which are geared toward minorities. 

In case you haven't figured it out yet, the polygraph machine doesn't discriminate either!

mike_C.

IP Logged

User

Reply #13 - Aug 6th, 2005 at 9:29am

Fact: the testing and selection process standards in many areas have been lowered in order to meet prescribed quotas of minorities and females.  I'm not saying that minorities and females are inferior but this is a fact.

As stated in my prior post, I have more information about "bending the rules" for women and minorities recruited to the LAPD than I even care to elaborate on. 

IP Logged

New User

Reply #14 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 7:26pm
Obviously the message I am trying to convey is not being well received. Don't be afraid about saying things that could be interpreted as racist. Be proud of who you are and what you stand for. I do, and that is all that I am really trying to say.

IP Logged

But I can't help it. I was born white.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X