Normal Topic Any pointers would help. (Read 2833 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PAQ
User

Any pointers would help.
Dec 6th, 2003 at 4:16am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am getting ready for my first interview with the L.A.P.D.  Can anyone tell me what to expect and any pointers that would help me out. Like is there anything I could do to set me above the other people that do not read this site.  Thank you.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 211....Not

Re: Any pointers would help.
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2003 at 7:15am
First, I took a bunch of interviews with police departments and one thing is usually the same" the interview.  First, you need a nice suit.  A dark color with a reddish, power tie.  Look sharp and chrisp.  Secondly, I know I get nervious and I found out that taking the herb Kava, helps relax me a lot.  It made me more confident, my speech clearer and I felt as though I could think better.  As far as the meat of the interview, try to remember the names of the interviews so that you can say, "Thank you, Mr. Stevens" or something like that when the interview is over.  Have an opening statement ready in case they ask for one.  Usually, they will start of the interview by saying "Tell us about yourself" or "Tell us a little about your past".  They may even hand the interview to you and ask "do you have an opening statement?"  They usually ask the following also:

Tell us about you past work experience and how it will help you as a police officer?

What activitives do you participate in and how will they help you as a police officer?

In what way are you involved in your community?

What is your greatest weakness and how have you attempted to overcome that weakness?

What is your greatest strength and how will that help you as a police officer?

What do you think is the idea behind "community oriented policeing" and in what ways do you think it helps the police interact with the community?

What do you think are the most important aspects of police work?

What areas of LAPD do you find interesting and what areas would you like to get involved with and why?

Tell us about your educational background and how it will help you as a police officer?

What area of police work do you think you will find the most challenging?

What makes you the best applicant for the job?

Tell us about a time when your behavior or perfomance at work was corrected and how you reacted to that correction.

And last and but not least....Do you have any questions you would like to ask us?

Have a few good, solid questions to ask so that you will come off looking like you are really interested in the job.   

Remember to make good eye contact and smile from time to time.  Do not be afraid to show a little humor and remember, you are there to sell yourself.  You are there because you are offering your services as a potential police offficer to the City of Los Angeles.  It is your job to "sell yourself" and make them want to hire you.  There are thousands and thousands of people that want the very job you are after.  You need to make yourself better than them in the eyes of the interviewers.   

Good luck.....

by the way, I am a Los Angeles Police Officer.  Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PAQ213

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2003 at 6:48pm
Thank you for the help. I now know what to expect. Thank you again.

IP Logged

User

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2003 at 7:21pm
Quote:
First, I took a bunch of interviews with police departments and one thing is usually the same" the interview.  First, you need a nice suit.  A dark color with a reddish, power tie.  Look sharp and chrisp.  Secondly, I know I get nervious and I found out that taking the herb Kava, helps relax me a lot.  It made me more confident, my speech clearer and I felt as though I could think better.  As far as the meat of the interview, try to remember the names of the interviews so that you can say, "Thank you, Mr. Stevens" or something like that when the interview is over.  Have an opening statement ready in case they ask for one.  Usually, they will start of the interview by saying "Tell us about yourself" or "Tell us a little about your past".  They may even hand the interview to you and ask "do you have an opening statement?"  They usually ask the following also:

Tell us about you past work experience and how it will help you as a police officer?

What activitives do you participate in and how will they help you as a police officer?

In what way are you involved in your community?

What is your greatest weakness and how have you attempted to overcome that weakness?

What is your greatest strength and how will that help you as a police officer?

What do you think is the idea behind "community oriented policeing" and in what ways do you think it helps the police interact with the community?

What do you think are the most important aspects of police work?

What areas of LAPD do you find interesting and what areas would you like to get involved with and why?

Tell us about your educational background and how it will help you as a police officer?

What area of police work do you think you will find the most challenging?

What makes you the best applicant for the job?

Tell us about a time when your behavior or perfomance at work was corrected and how you reacted to that correction.

And last and but not least....Do you have any questions you would like to ask us?

Have a few good, solid questions to ask so that you will come off looking like you are really interested in the job.  

Remember to make good eye contact and smile from time to time.  Do not be afraid to show a little humor and remember, you are there to sell yourself.  You are there because you are offering your services as a potential police offficer to the City of Los Angeles.  It is your job to "sell yourself" and make them want to hire you.  There are thousands and thousands of people that want the very job you are after.  You need to make yourself better than them in the eyes of the interviewers.  

Good luck.....

by the way, I am a Los Angeles Police Officer.  Wink

IP Logged

User

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2003 at 7:32pm
What can I do to increase my chances of becoming an officer? Like what activities can I participate in to help me out when they ask me in my interview what have I done to help me as an officer, what can I say?

IP Logged

Any pointers would help.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X