Normal Topic Written statments, am I screwed everywhere I apply (Read 6105 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box luke27

Written statments, am I screwed everywhere I apply
Nov 12th, 2003 at 8:18am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
here is the deal, I applyed with a pd about 4 years ago and during the course of my investigation I filled out a series of statments about my past (bad stuff). For the most part the statements were completely false I just wrote what my investigator told me to. I eventually withdrew my name from the list. Then I applied with another PD everything was fine, I was set to go to the acedemy until one day my satements I filled out with the other department were sent and I was disqualified. I found out these statements have a shelf life of 10 years so basically Im screwed with any PD I apply to in the country. I'm going to try this. I will be attending a pd out of state that has the polygraph as the second part of the hiring process, so  I figure that if I take the polygraph and pass it by the time the statements i wrote for the other PD get there I will be well past my polgraph. What do you think? If I pass the the polgraph before the department see's the satements will I be ok or will they most likely still DQ me? Am I screwed no matter what? I cant wait ten years for these statments to go away. I will never get a police, sheriff, or any other jobs as long as they keep getting sent to every department I apply with.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box treetop
Ex Member

Re: Written statments, am I screwed everywhere I a
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2003 at 9:50am
Luke 27,

I am just a layperson but I think that if the PD you are applying for now receives the statements you made to the previous PD, I would think that you are burnt.  Even if you pass the polygraph with them, the fact that you admitted to "bad stuff" in writing will cast doubt upon you in their eyes.  If they doubt you, I think they will pass you up for someone with less doubt.  It is extremely competitive to get a law enforcement job and their seems to be an endless supply of applicants.  I know that when filling out a background packet, the agency wants the applicant to list all law enforcement agencies the person has applied with in the past.  They do this so that they get get information just like you mentioned.  I do not know what to tell you, but maybe if you forget to mention that you applied with that particular agency, the agency you are applying with in the future will not find out about the admission you made.  On that note, if you are caught lieing or give false information, you will be burnt for good.  Your choice and good luck.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box luke22

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2003 at 7:09pm
Fist of all not all law enforcement jobs are competitive some  agencies are in dire need of officers. Yes, any pd I apply to will find out about the statments because I was fingerprinted during the course of the interview. My question is If I pass the poly before the statements arrive will I be ok.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2003 at 10:53pm
I do not think so.  I think they will disqualify you because the admissions you made previously will contradict what you would have told them.  That makes you look like you are hidding something.  Passing the polygraph or not, it makes you look shadey.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2003 at 12:59am
Then that just proves that the polygraph is completely useless. If I take and pass a polygraph regarding my past that should prove that I am telling the truth, those statments should be meaningless. I never took a polygraph regarding those statements, so If I take and pass a polygraph regarding my past how could they deny me employment? So you are saying that a polygraph can only be used in law enforcement employment to DQ me and not to prove my innocence? That makes no sense at all.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2003 at 8:37am
I agree that is makes no sense at all too.  Like I said, it is just my opinion.  If I were in your shoes, knowing my luck, I think I would have a problem.  However, you never know.  Just go for it and see what happens. Kiss

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2003 at 9:09am
Trust me I have the worst luck on the planet. These stupid statements have destroyed my life. Not a day goes by I don't think about it. The bottom line is you are probably right, they probably will DQ me because of them. I have no other option's This is the last idea I can possibly come up with. I tryed everything, applying out of state, calling lawyers, everyone said the same thing you are screwed. Theses statements will be around for years to come. I will be too old for a law enforcement position by the time they finally go away. The sad part is I never took a poly on those statements I just wrote them and withdrew my name. I cant find a department in the US. that will give me a shot. Its horrible, I cant describe the pain and mentall anguish it has caused me. If anyone has anyadvice on what I could possible do Please let me know. Also if you could recomend a Law enforcement agency that might not need to see the statements as part of thier backround check or a department that will not put too much weight into them.(I have heard rumors of a few but I know its very unlikely.) Thanks everyone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ms_iron
New User

Re: Written state, am I screwed everywhere I apply
Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2004 at 4:48am
Why not tell the new PD you are applying at, what you did before? I assume on the first app., you lied about things like drug use, stealing or what ever, Right?

Tell them you lied on that first app out of fear, that's always the motivating factor in a lie. Though it's no excuse, it is the reason.

I find it hard to believe that someone out there won't give you a chance.

I got shot down by 1 Sheriffs dept because of one of their 'new policy' rules.

In speaking to the Captain for quite sometime, I told him I will knock on every LE door in this state until someone takes me. He said with my motivation, he wished he could have me...but damn that new policy.

New Policy? Applicant could never have been arrested for disorderly. Even though it was 30 years ago that happened to me. Imagine that?

The next day I went to a local PD and sat down with the SGT. He told me they don't give a rats ass what I did 30 years ago and I am now going though the process. I have the oral board in 6 weeks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ted Smith

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2004 at 12:59am
ok here is the thing I dont understand...

Lets say that you did apply to a certain number of law enforcement agencies and got DQ'ed for whatever reason. Who says that you can't go and apply with another agency and where it asks you on the application if you have ever applied with another agency, you simply answer "no".

Does every law enforcement agency have a system that they can tap into to see what other law enforcement agencies you have applied to along with the reason why you were not granted employment???

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box TEDSMITH

Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2004 at 1:00am
ok here is the thing I dont understand...

Lets say that you did apply to a certain number of law enforcement agencies and got DQ'ed for whatever reason. Who says that you can't go and apply with another agency and where it asks you on the application if you have ever applied with another agency, you simply answer "no".

Does every law enforcement agency have a system that they can tap into to see what other law enforcement agencies you have applied to along with the reason why you were not granted employment???

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jack_T
New User

Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 9:42pm
The way that your BI tracks with whom you have tested with, is through life scans. When you get far enough into your testing with any agency, they will take your fingerprint on the lifescan machine, which in turn is recorded with the Department of Justice. Your BI can and will obtain a copy of this. If you have several police departments you have been fingerprinted with, they will show, but if you tested with a department and were disqualified, say, during your written, they most likely will not beable to track it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Canadian Crusader
Senior User

Reply #11 - Mar 4th, 2004 at 1:29am
Why don't you try retaining a lawyer to obtain the statements or at least bar the force from releasing them.  Might be worth a shot.  The same thing happened to me but I am too old now to be applying to forces and am quite happy to stay in the field I am in now.  If I had to do it over agin I would fight tooth and nail to get removed what the lying polygrapher wrote about me.  Don't lie down on this.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box luke727

Reply #12 - Mar 4th, 2004 at 6:27am
Quote:
Why don't you try retaining a lawyer to obtain the statements or at least bar the force from releasing them.  Might be worth a shot.  The same thing happened to me but I am too old now to be applying to forces and am quite happy to stay in the field I am in now.  If I had to do it over agin I would fight tooth and nail to get removed what the lying polygrapher wrote about me.  Don't lie down on this.

I contacted over 30 lawyers they all said the same thing " There is nothing legally you can do." The statements are property of the police department they can do whatever they want with them. Legally, I dont have a leg to stand on. There is no action I can take to stop them from sending them to other agency's or at least not that I found.

IP Logged

Written statments, am I screwed everywhere I apply

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X