Normal Topic law enforcement should get a clue (Read 2573 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Speros Braga

law enforcement should get a clue
Nov 4th, 2003 at 6:08pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am a college student who is doing an in depth report on the use/misuse of lie detector tests.  I discovered your extraordinary website from a classmates' tip.  I have been online looking at various articles and statements from a wide array of cases and viewpoints.  I don't ever plan on taking a lie detector test, so my research in not for my own benefit.  I feel that anitpolygraph.org is by far the most in depth and comprehensive site available in regards to lie detection theory and application.  I find it quite amusing that even police websites such as 911hotjobs.com are selling informative books and cds on how to manipulate these exams.  What does it say when the very people who endorse these phony exams are now making profit from enlightening the public about their workings.  From all of the information I have gathered thus far, it is my belief that the end is near for these archaic tests.  Just in my general discussion I have had with people who have never researched the issue, it is the overwhelming common belief that lie detector tests are a joke.  My psychology professor concurs that these tests are without validity and should be taken no more seriously than a magic 8-ball.  I will continue to share my newly found information with my colleagues and peers.  George, I think you are a brilliant and very educated man.  Your accomplishments merit much praise.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PolyCop

Re: law enforcement should get a clue
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 8:43pm
Quote:
I am a college student who is doing an in depth report on the use/misuse of lie detector tests.  ...I have been online looking at various articles and statements from a wide array of cases and viewpoints...From all of the information I have gathered thus far, it is my belief that the end is near for these archaic tests.  Just in my general discussion I have had with people who have never researched the issue, it is the overwhelming common belief that lie detector tests are a joke.  My psychology professor concurs that these tests are without validity and should be taken no more seriously than a magic 8-ball....George, I think you are a brilliant and very educated man.  Your accomplishments merit much praise. 

Speros,

I am happy you have chosen to research lie detection as a school project.  However, from what you have written,  it seems to me that without evaluating all sides of this issue, you have already made up your mind regarding the validity/utility of polygraph testing  (like your friends and your professor).

In the interest of conducting a truly complete investigation, I would suggest you apply your research efforts to places other than the internet.  Find out if your state/local police utilize polygraph testing and go interview some of their examiners.  Talk to the head of their investigation division, maybe even a deputy chief.  Try to learn some first hand information from those who are proponents of this methodology and why that even in the face of fierce anti-polygraph rhetoric from places like this web-site, that instead of "the end being near," the use of polygraph testing is actually growing by leaps and bounds in this country.   

Good luck in your academic efforts, and by the way, I also believe George to be a very smart and educated man....

PolyCop... 8)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Re: law enforcement should get a clue
Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 8:45pm
Quote:
I am a college student who is doing an in depth report on the use/misuse of lie detector tests.  I discovered your extraordinary website from a classmates' tip.  I have been online looking at various articles and statements from a wide array of cases and viewpoints.  I don't ever plan on taking a lie detector test, so my research in not for my own benefit.  I feel that anitpolygraph.org is by far the most in depth and comprehensive site available in regards to lie detection theory and application.  I find it quite amusing that even police websites such as 911hotjobs.com are selling informative books and cds on how to manipulate these exams.  What does it say when the very people who endorse these phony exams are now making profit from enlightening the public about their workings.  From all of the information I have gathered thus far, it is my belief that the end is near for these archaic tests.  Just in my general discussion I have had with people who have never researched the issue, it is the overwhelming common belief that lie detector tests are a joke.  My psychology professor concurs that these tests are without validity and should be taken no more seriously than a magic 8-ball.  I will continue to share my newly found information with my colleagues and peers.  George, I think you are a brilliant and very educated man.  Your accomplishments merit much praise.  

Speros,

I am curious as to how you came across the subject to do a report on. It's an area that seems to be actively avoided by many otherwise disinterested people.

Also, check the NAS report (there is a link on this site's main page) as it is also a pretty complete review of polygraphy.

Beware of assumptions of polygraphy's emminent demise. Do not underestimate the staying power of entrenched methodologies, regardless of how little scientific basis there is. The world is replete with them.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

law enforcement should get a clue

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X