Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Gary Leon Ridgway, Deadliest Serial Killer in U.S. History, Passed Polygraph and Killed Again (Read 158876 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LieBabyCryBaby
Very Senior User

Re: Deadliest Killer in U.S. History Passed Polygr
Reply #15 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 11:13pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
ecchasta wrote on Jan 9th, 2007 at 11:10pm:

Perhaps there should be follow-up polygraph tests done on all policemen, polygraphers and testifiers in criminal cases!

Yeah, why not? Let's just test 'em all.   Cheesy

Ecchasta, see my remarks in that other thread. There are some thing we really don't know that make jumping to conclusions absurd.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Meangino
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 12:59am
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Jan 9th, 2007 at 11:13pm:
There are some thing we really don't know that make jumping to conclusions absurd.

However, we do know the consensus view of scientists is that polygraph "testing" has no scientific basis.  https://antipolygraph.org/articles/article-018.shtml ; Dr. Furedy eloquently compares reading polygraph charts to entrails reading. Based on this irrefutable knowledge, anybody who would make decide that anyone is or is not a suspect in a criminal case based on a polygraph session is irresponsible.  I wonder if Sheriff Reichert ever apologized to Mr. Foster, or to the families of Gary Ridgeway's victims who were killed after Ridgeway "passed" a polygraph "test" and was released?

Regrettably, this is a predictable result of reliance on the pseudo-science of polygraphy.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #17 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 8:57pm
meangino wrote on Jan 10th, 2007 at 12:59am:

However, we do know the consensus view of scientists is that polygraph "testing" has no scientific basis.  https://antipolygraph.org/articles/article-018.shtml  Dr. Furedy eloquently compares reading polygraph charts to entrails reading. Based on this irrefutable knowledge, anybody who would make decide that anyone is or is not a suspect in a criminal case based on a polygraph session is irresponsible.  I wonder if Sheriff Reichert ever apologized to Mr. Foster, or to the families of Gary Ridgeway's victims who were killed after Ridgeway "passed" a polygraph "test" and was released?

Regrettably, this is a predictable result of reliance on the pseudo-science of polygraphy.

Meangino,

Sometimes I wonder whether your responses are even directed at me, or if they are just one more opportunity to play the tired anti-polygraphite recording once more for the average reader. Your words are nothing different from the tired rhetoric I can find thousands of times on this website from people more knowledgable than you, although they, like you, have no actual experience conducting polygraph exams.

Have you read the prosecutor's summary of the evidence found in one of George's links above? If you read it with an open mind you might begin to understand how even IF the polygraph is as valid and reliable as we pro-polygraphites claim, Ridgway is the kind of totally callous psychopath who I believe can beat the polygraph. Right now I'd rather not go into great detail about why this is so, since I think it will become clear as you read the summary.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Meangino
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 9:10pm
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Jan 10th, 2007 at 8:57pm:

Have you read the prosecutor's summary of the evidence found in one of George's links above? If you read it with an open mind you might begin to understand how even IF the polygraph is as valid and reliable as we pro-polygraphites claim, Ridgway is the kind of totally callous psychopath who I believe can beat the polygraph. Right now I'd rather not go into great detail about why this is so, since I think it will become clear as you read the summary.

LBCB, I have read all of the data in the links Mr.  Maschke provided in this thread.  In addition, I have seen at least 2 detailed television documentaries on the Ridgway case.  While there is no doubt Ridgway is a psychopath, where is the scientific documentation that says it takes one "to beat the polygraph" (your words in quotations, not mine).  On the contrary, scientific evidence elsewhere on this website overwhelmingly proves one does not need to be a psychopath "to beat the polygraph."

The evidence is plain and simple--King county authorities released Ridgway because he "passed" a polygraph "test." Moreover, based on the pseudo-science of polygraphy the same authorities wasted countless resources investigating an innocent person, Melvin Foster.  

The fact that Sheriff Reichert and other King county authorities won't even offer the simplest apology to Mr. Foster speaks volumes to their shame for having allowed Ridgway to kill again, all because polygraphy.

I say again, regrettably this is a predictable result of reliance on the pseudo-science of polygraphy.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ecchasta
User

Reply #19 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 10:15pm
So let me get this straight... polygraphers and police know that psychopathic people can "beat" the polygraph.  So why bother using a polygraph test to find a psychopathic killer.

It follows that those who "fail" the test in cases involving psychopaths should be let go and those who "pass" it should be arrested.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #20 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 10:32pm
ecchasta wrote on Jan 10th, 2007 at 10:15pm:
So let me get this straight... polygraphers and police know that psychopathic people can "beat" the polygraph.  So why bother using a polygraph test to find a psychopathic killer.

It follows that those who "fail" the test in cases involving psychopaths should be let go and those who "pass" it should be arrested.

You may not get many pro-polygraphites to admit that a psychopathic killer can "beat the polygraph," but in the Ridgway case I believe that may well be what happened. To say that might be at best pure speculation and at worst jumping to a conclusion, which I did not want to do. However, I believe that, like severely retarded people, a psychopathic killer who no longer feels any guilt or remorse or shame, or maybe anything at all with regard to his actions could indeed beat the polygraph. 

I don't have personal knowledge of the Ridgway and Foster polygraphs. I've seen no transcripts. I have given you my speculation on Ridgway. As far as Foster, I don't know whether or not he ever committed a murder or why he may have had information about the killings that led police to suspect him. I just don't have enough inside information.

Throughout my polygraph experience, many times I have seen investigators who want the polygraph to "prove" the case for them. Some people DO in fact believe so strongly in the polygraph's infallibility that, if a person passes the polygraph they are judged without question to be truthful, and when a person fails a polygraph they are judged without question to be deceptive. And when those people of unshakeable faith in the polygraph's power are involved in an investigation such as the Ridgway case, they may in fact cease to objectively view the evidence, and instead head down the wrong path based on the "easy" method of letting the machine take the place of good detective work.

« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2007 at 10:48pm by LieBabyCryBaby »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box gr8dad
New User

Reply #21 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 10:58am
LBCB, if there is even a chance that the polygraph could falsely brand a truthful person deceptive, why should we agree that it have any place at all in a criminal investigation?  You said it yourself.  There should never be that much faith placed in it.  If you have any doubt in this machine, you have no business spreading your propeganda about it's greatness!  I can telling you from personal experience that the machine is a fraud!  PERIOD!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NoSeriouslyYouAllSuck

Re: Gary Leon Ridgway, Deadliest Serial Killer in U.S. History, Passed Polygraph and Killed Again
Reply #22 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 9:29pm
You are all idiots, plants are the only lie detectors, as they can read human thoughts

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Gary Leon Ridway's Polygraph Charts
Reply #23 - May 7th, 2020 at 7:37am
On this day in 1984, polygraph operator Norm Matzke of the King County, Washington Sheriff's Office polygraphed Gary Leon Ridgway, a suspect in the Green River serial killings investigation. Today, AntiPolygraph.org has published Ridgway's polygraph charts, which had not previously been publicly available. Comments welcome:

https://antipolygraph.org/blog/2020/05/07/green-river-killer-gary-leon-ridgways-...

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Voice of Reason

Re: Gary Leon Ridgway, Deadliest Serial Killer in U.S. History, Passed Polygraph and Killed Again
Reply #24 - May 7th, 2020 at 6:43pm
Ridgway is dyslexic which is often coupled with Attention Deficit Disorder and/or Auditory Processing Disorder. Perhaps this could explain the suppressed EDA.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Voice of Reason

Reply #25 - May 8th, 2020 at 2:07am
Question Number 5, which is being used as a CQ:

Before you were 30 years old, did you ever physically injure anyone without provocation? NO

Problem is, he stabbed a six year old child when he was 16. Ridgway had led the boy into the woods and then stabbed him through the ribs into his liver. 

He predictably reacted to this question. However, since it was used as a CQ, it helped helped him to pass.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #26 - May 8th, 2020 at 3:09am
Thank you for the charts.  What an EFU!  Even with data collection problems clearly DI.   

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Gary Leon Ridgway, Deadliest Serial Killer in U.S. History, Passed Polygraph and Killed Again

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X