Normal Topic Comment on this Link www... (Read 2609 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box travis
New User

Comment on this Link www...
Oct 24th, 2003 at 8:58am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
http://www.911jobforums.com/vB/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=21640&highlight=USPIS

Apparently, for the UPSIS (United States Postal Inspection Service), everyone is arguing to NOT EDUCATE yourself. Now I am confused whether I should pucker for this Poly or what ##($*%&!!!

After searching this 911jobforum board, I haven't yet found a single post about someone failing their Poly (although there are not too many posts on the subject of USPIS poly anyway)

George, can you give me opinion of all of replies in this link?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Comment on this Link www...
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2003 at 9:15am
Travis,

As you review the discussions of polygraphy on 911jobforums.com, you should bear in mind that discussions of polygraphy are heavily censored. Posts that explain how the "test" actually works, or that include links to relevant literature, are routinely deleted.

The argument that one should not educate oneself about polygraphy is simply stupid. As the National Academy of Sciences has confirmed, polygraph screening is completely invalid. It is very much in the interest of anyone facing a polygraph interrogation  to educate him/herself about this quackery in advance.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2003 at 8:44pm
Quote:
Travis,
As you review the discussions of polygraphy on 911jobforums.com, you should bear in mind that discussions of polygraphy are heavily censored. Posts that explain how the "test" actually works, or that include links to relevant literature, are routinely deleted.

George,
Do you know whether they delete posts with links to training and technical literature produced by and utlized within the polygraph community? There seem to be two trains of thought there.

1. Becoming informed about the polygraph increases the liklihood of a false positive. [I think that there are reasons to believe this may occur - absent use of CM's]

2. Examinees are encouraged to educate themselves but learning about the polygraph is dangerous since the sources on the internet have specific, anti-polygraph agendas. The obvious suggestion is that such information is then suspect.

To some degree these two are in conflict though I think the first item is more "honest." The first item will resonate with an examinee that does investigate sites like antipolygraph.org. The second is an effort to obfuscate polygraph understanding while appearing to endorse "informed examinees."

It would be interesting to see how they handled a neutral, non judgemental,  reference to their own literature/manuals. After all, they just want the TRUTH, right? Wink

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2003 at 9:20pm
Marty,

I don't think that either of the rationales you've proposed justify the censorship that goes on at 911jobforums.com. Bob Amaral, who operates the site, would be in a better position to explain the rational for, and parameters of, his censorship policy. You should be able to reach him by e-mail to contact@911hotjobs.com.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2003 at 9:31pm
George,

I wasn't suggesting any rationale for their censorship. Rather, that the thread in question seemed to present two, inconsistent, POVs, both of which "passed" the censorship criteria.  I'm just curious as to whether a post consistent with one of those POVs (that examinees are encouraged to be informed) is truth or a ruse. The best way I can think to test that is whether posts refering to their own manuals would survive on that board.

-MArty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Guest

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2003 at 5:56am
According to the one guy who said the more you know about the poly the worst you will do. Just imagine if they had to poly one of their own, he would flunk 100%!

IP Logged

Comment on this Link www...

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X