Normal Topic Polygraphs in the courtroom? (Read 2138 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jack_T
New User

Polygraphs in the courtroom?
Oct 21st, 2003 at 9:59pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have a question that I thought maybe somebody could help me answer. Why is it that polygraphs are not allowed inside our precious courtrooms, but we allow it to slander and persecute outside? It doesn't make any sense that the law will not permit the polygraph to taint the law or the courts during a trial, but to be able to work for the law  (i.e. law enforcement) you must pass one. Why aren't lawyers and judges subjected to taking polygraphs when applying for jobs? I would think that if we are trusting these people to uphold our laws and prosecute people that may spend the rest of their lives in prison, we would want to make sure that their moral character is at the same level as a police officer's. Undecided

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Re: Polygraphs in the courtroom?
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2003 at 10:09pm
In part because it does not meet the Frye standard.  And some Judges and Lawyers are required to undergo polygraph examinations.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Canadian Crusader
Senior User

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2003 at 1:18am
My guess is that the poly is not scientifically verifiable. The lawyers would tear the poly results apart if they did not fit their current agenda.

My guess again for not polygraphing politicians and lawyers is that they know the joke behind it and are smarter than we give them credit by not wanting to put their own jobs on the line at the chance rate the poly is capable of.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2003 at 2:19am
In Frye v. United States, [FN24] the Court of Appeals of the District of Columbia established the standard for the admissibility of novel scientific evidence in federal courts??the general acceptance standard. [FN25] Under this test, any novel form of scientific evidence admitted into evidence "must be sufficiently established to have gained general acceptance in the particular field in which it belongs." [FN26] This test requires the trial judge to determine, based on expert testimony, whether legitimate debate exists within the scientific community regarding the reliability of the particular technology. [FN27] Although the true meaning of general acceptance is somewhat unclear, [FN28] it does not require a showing of universal acceptance. [FN29] In California, subsequent cases have delineated that general acceptance means a "consensus," or the absence of public opposition by ".scientists significant either in number or expertise."'

http://www.tylerlaw.com/pepperdine.rtf

In other words, with respect to polygraphy and its over 40 years worth of being "established," it has never met, nor will it ever in its current form, generally accepted scientific standards.

IP Logged

Polygraphs in the courtroom?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X