Normal Topic NSA polygraph (Read 3462 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ohgreat
New User

NSA polygraph
Oct 17th, 2003 at 6:46am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
hello,

I just found out at some point I might have to take a polygraph for the NSA.  I work for a contractor.  I've been reading the horror stories on this board about such experiences, as well as some of my friends experiences.

So I'm worried about the whole process, I don't like possibly betting my job on a flawed process.   I was honest on my PSQ and admitted to smoking pot once.  It was a one time event and is very embarrassing to me, so I fear any time I'm asked a question about drugs I will exhibit a response due to felling very uncomfortable with the subject.   

Should I just relax and take the test?  I have nothing damning to admit, but I'm worried about false positive.  I get the feeling that the NSA is more interested in getting confessions out of people than the actual results.  Should I just endure the interrogation and hope for the best?  I'm not interested in using CM's.

Any insight would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: NSA polygraph
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2003 at 7:41am
At this point, I think it would be wise to further educate yourself about polygraphy. The "test" is actually an interrogation, but the polygraph operators seem to truly believe that they can divine truth or deception by gazing into the polygraph charts. Some useful resources that you'll find on this website include:

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2003 at 3:17am
ohgreat wrote on Oct 17th, 2003 at 6:46am:
hello,

I just found out at some point I might have to take a polygraph for the NSA.  I work for a contractor.  I've been reading the horror stories on this board about such experiences, as well as some of my friends experiences.

So I'm worried about the whole process, I don't like possibly betting my job on a flawed process.   I was honest on my PSQ and admitted to smoking pot once.  It was a one time event and is very embarrassing to me, so I fear any time I'm asked a question about drugs I will exhibit a response due to felling very uncomfortable with the subject.  

Should I just relax and take the test?  I have nothing damning to admit, but I'm worried about false positive.  I get the feeling that the NSA is more interested in getting confessions out of people than the actual results.  Should I just endure the interrogation and hope for the best?  I'm not interested in using CM's.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I think your perceptions are pretty much right.

The NSA uses the Relevant/Irrelevant technique.  It's a technique practically tailor-made to produce lots of false positives, which is likely just fine with them, since they appear to approach the polygraph as an interrogation prop, anyway.  Count on multiple polygraphs, along with post-test interrogations.  All the NSA applicants I know of went through these, though I admit my knowledge is limited to 5-6 people.  This includes a person working there as we speak.

I can't say as of yet whether how the NSA polygraph process goes for you will have repercussions beyond not getting the position with the NSA or the contractor to them, but it's something to consider.  Remember, if you apply for a clearance in the future, you will likely be asked whether you've ever been investigated for a clearance before (the SF-86 asks this explicitly), so how the NSA polygraph goes may stick with you.  Unfortunately, despite the consensus of the scientific community and the assurances of some pro-polygraph types on this board, too many agencies still appear to put unwarranted faith in polygraph results.

Personally, after my experiences I will never again apply for any position that requires a polygraph -- it's just not worth the stress, regardless of whether I would "pass".  But that's me -- you, of course, have to make the decision for yourself.  If (as you seem to indicate) a job is on the line, you are indeed facing a tough choice.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ohgreat
New User

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2003 at 8:16am
Thanks for the input.  You information corresponds to what I've heard also, again from limited sources.  I do know for certain that most people have at least 2 sometimes 3 polys.  I think the whole thing is BS and I already have the job this is just a possiblity in the future.  However we have people that quite often can only be cleared to a certain level for what every reason and they simply put them on another project with less security requirements.  So I doubt I would lose my job, I dont think legally they can fire you for not getting cleared, perhaps lay you off if they cant find a project for you.  Certainly if you made some damning admission they could get you with that. 

As you noted though if your denied a clearance you have to state it on you SF-86 which is bad news.  The whole thing is a lot of stress even though thanks to this site I know the test is bogus (thats what worries me).  I've considered telling them I dont want a clearance that requires a fullscope poly.  But it is in my contract that I might have to take a polygraph even though they do not specify wether it would be a CI or full scope.

Either way I will keep you all informed as to what happens.

IP Logged

NSA polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X