Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Question about polygraph (Read 8087 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jack_T
New User

Question about polygraph
Oct 15th, 2003 at 11:40pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Why is it that polygraph examiners are concerned about whether or not a person that is going to be tested has done research, or "looked" at any websites that concern polygraphs? Is it because they are concerned that you might fail the test, or is it because they don't want you to be educated on the techniques of their training? Undecided

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Re: Question about polygraph
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2003 at 12:42am
To use an analogy, in The Wizard of Oz, the Great and Mighty Oz turned out to be an old, pathetic little man ("ignore that man behind the curtain"). Same idea in polygraphy. Ignore the sad, pathetic little polygraphers and be more concerned about the great and mighty powers of the polygraph. The power of Oz and the power of polygraphy share something: both are fakes.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2003 at 4:59am
Jack T,

A person's lack of knowledge concerning the polygraph, or the techniques employed by the polygrapher can only work against them.  The polygrapher uses your ignorance against you as he explains to you how it is impossible to beat his machine.  I swear to God, my polygrapher went on for over an hour explaining how the machine couldn't be beat, and that now was the time to confess to anything that I may have forgotten.  I almost felt like making up some small indiscretion just to shut him the hell up.  IMHO, a person is always better off being informed.   

The polygrapher only exists to interrogate you, expose any inconsistencies in your background questions, and extract any kind of confession from you.  He utilizes the polygraph as an intimidation device to help get that confession.   

To answer your question, they don't want you to be educated on their techniques so they can get that confession.

Kona

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Robert
New User

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2003 at 5:31am
Well said Kona!

"I believe it is an established maxim in morals that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false, is guilty of falsehood; and the accidental truth of the assertion, does not justify or excuse him."&&&& Abe Lincoln

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jack_T
New User

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2003 at 7:02pm
Thank you for the replies. The reason I ask, is because I was one of the first group of recruits to be polygraphed for LAPD. They passed all of my information through the civil commision, hired me, and as if it were an after thought, my background investigators supervisor called  and asked if I had received a polygraph. I told the supervisor that I wasn't even aware that a polygraph was part of the testing. He informed me that they had recently implemented the poly as part of the testing. Well needless to say, my background investigator, background supervisor and civil commission all thought I was worthy of being an officer for the department (I'm assuming this to be true because I received an academy date), but the almighty polygraph examiner informed me that I wasn't. I have since read some articles on the LAPD polygraph testing and from what I gather the examiners are failing qualified recruits at a tremendous rate. I can't help but feel that these examiners are just setting a percentage of recruits they will pass, and the others they just throw to the dogs. Maybe this is how they show their worth??

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2003 at 11:31pm
I feel for you.  I too, as so many other qualified applicants, was dq'ed solely on a b.s. polygraph score.  I think your situation is one of the most unfortunate ones I've heard.  You basically were ready to start the academy, then the bottom fell out because of your polygraph alone.  Damn those polygraphers to Hell.  They do far more harm in this world than good.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2003 at 12:00am
Here's the stuck record again.

SUE THE POLYGRAPHER AND HIS DEPARTMENT - SUE THE POLYGRAPHER AND HIS DEPARTMENT----. They have accused you of wrong doing. Make them prove the charges in a court of law. Has anyone stopped to think, when they accuse you of dealing or taking drugs, etc., etc., why they don't arrest you on the spot and file formal charges? I have never heard or read of this ever happening. That would be a crucial question in court.

Just complaining about it on these or other boards is not going to solve your porblems

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2003 at 9:25am
Two Block,

First of all, I don't believe that a polygrapher would formally accuse any of these potential law enforcement recruits of any specific wrongdoing, let alone charge them with a crime, unless it was something serious.  All they have to say is that deception was indicated, or that the results were inconclusive, and we can't offer you a job.  Secondly, I doubt that any of these gentlemen possess the monetary resources to retain an attorney and seek a legal remedy that would force LAPD to offer them a job.  IMHO, even if a person had the resources to take the LAPD to court, it would be a monumental waste of time and money.   

What these guys need to do is move on past this small setback, learn from it, and apply to a different police agency.  Knowing what they know now, this time around they will be able to approach the polygraph as an informed person that knows how to ensure that they are not another false positive victim, by using countermeasures.   

There are plenty of outstanding police departments in California; LAPD is not the be all, end all.  All of you guys out there that got burned on the polygraph at LAPD apply to another department, and get hired.....you can do it!

Kona

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2003 at 3:34pm
Kona

When a polygrapher fails you, they ARE accusing you of, at least, being a liar. Isn't that character assassination? They should be made to prove that you are a liar. What if, at their next job poly, the polygrapher asks "have you ever taken a polygraph"?. If they answer truthfully, aren't they likely to fail again based on the past failure? That seems to be the story of posters here.

I am not advocating sueing to get a job. I am talking about sueing for damages. Who, in their right mind, would want to work for an organization that has officially branded them a liar? However, if one has lied, then tuck-tail and disappear.

A pro se lawsuit only costs the filing fee. You can find out how to file pro se on the internet and there are pro bono organizations that will help.

If one cares about themselves, they will fight for their integrity.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #9 - Oct 18th, 2003 at 12:44pm
Twoblock,

I think what a majority of people who post on this message board want.......is a job in law enforcement.  I don't see many people on these boards who would seriously consider filing a lawsuit for being found deceptive, or having inconclusive results on a polygraph.  Just what are you going to sue the LAPD for, slander?  Defamation of character maybe?  Good luck.  I'm no Johnny Cochran, but I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that a suit of that nature would be thrown out of court faster than you could say frivolous waste of time.   

It is not impossible to fail a polygraph at one agency, then test at another law enforcement agency, and pass.  In my case, I was found deceptive on one polygraph, and given a retest a week later at the same police dept, and passed with a different polygrapher.   

IMHO, the people on these boards that have failed a polygraph in the past need to learn from that experience, educate themselves here on the entire process, and move on.  If one chooses not to learn from that negative experience, and wallow in self pity or righteous indignation, they are most certainly doomed to repeat that failure.  Apply to a different agency, use countermeasures on the polygraph, and GET THE JOB.  Lesson learned, mission accomplished.                     

Cheers,
Kona

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #10 - Oct 18th, 2003 at 4:33pm
Kona

The objective is to get polygraph job screening abolished and I believe 20 individual lawsuits will have more impact than one class action lawsuit. Some, not all, may be thrown out but then, there is the appeal route.

I guess I am mainly advocating fighting for one's integrity. George is a case in point. He was done wrong and is sure fighting back. I admire his tenacity. Most in the polygraph community can only counter with adolescent character assassination.

As I have stated "call me a liar and I'm gonna get in your face big time. No matter who or what you are".

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #11 - Oct 18th, 2003 at 6:04pm
I understand both positions.

I would simply like to get on with my life, after the "fun" of my NSA polygraphs.  But I will tell you this: a lawsuit will likely be in the offing if those polygraphs get in the way of future opportunities...

Skeptic

Twoblock wrote on Oct 18th, 2003 at 4:33pm:
Kona

The objective is to get polygraph job screening abolished and I believe 20 individual lawsuits will have more impact than one class action lawsuit. Some, not all, may be thrown out but then, there is the appeal route.

I guess I am mainly advocating fighting for one's integrity. George is a case in point. He was done wrong and is sure fighting back. I admire his tenacity. Most in the polygraph community can only counter with adolescent character assassination.

As I have stated "call me a liar and I'm gonna get in your face big time. No matter who or what you are".

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #12 - Oct 18th, 2003 at 7:32pm
Skeptic

Right on, Bud. I like your attitude.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #13 - Oct 19th, 2003 at 7:26am
Ok Twoblock,

I see we are talking apples and oranges here.  I'm am talking about doing whatever you have to in order to GET THE JOB in law enforcement that so many here on these boards want, and you are talking about getting the polygraph removed from the employment process through legal means.  Fair enough.  I was just curious what advise you have to the many people here that really want the job within the next year or so.  Not the ones that are willing to wait for all the legal wrangling to be settled in the next say....10 years or so?  I applaud what George is doing here, but many of us that want and need the job now don't have the time to wait for a legal remedy to be our savior.  I agree with you that the polygraph is hocus pocus BS, but until it is abolished (which I personally don't see happening for a long time) I think it is important to use whatever means necessary to overcome it and move along.

Kona

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #14 - Oct 19th, 2003 at 5:13pm
Kona

To those of you who have the determination to work to work in LE, my advise is to keep going for it. There is a need for good LEO's and determination, to me, is an exceptional plus. However, for a truthful person having to use countermeasures to beat a "one man one machine decision without  background investigations" is wrong. Lawsuits would force background investigations and it's up to the polygrapher and his/her department to prove that their subject is lieing.

Everyone knows that the polygraph, in the private sector, has been abolished. In the federal and state LE agencies, the powers to be HAS the power to be. Evidently, the only way to control this power, has to come from our congress in Wash. D.C. Until we send them a strong message, to change it or return home, it will remain status quo.

For those who insist on running the polygraph gauntlet and your future in LE has been destroyed, then I say dig a little deeper in that determination reserve and sue. Is that fair enough?

IP Logged

Question about polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X